Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new here so bear with me. I have a few pistols but not a big enthusiast til lately. so what the difference between loads for home defense? Which one is most popular to shoot?

·
Registered
29,587 Posts
Well, HST is a type of JHP (jacketed hollow point) round that's made by ATK/Federal. There are quite a few people that like it a lot; I haven't ever picked up any, so I can't say anything for or against it.

+P, and I assume +P+ (not P+P as you have) are simply designations that the round is loaded hot--generates greater chamber pressure, and gains more velocity than a standard pressure round, with +P+ being hotter than +P. They tend to give a little more recoil & flash than stadard velocity rounds, and are intended for use in modern firearms only--in other words, your XD will be fine, but keep it out of your great-grandfather's WW1 Broomhandle Mauser bring-back...

As to what's best/most popular for home defense, that varies. Personally, I think that one will be well served by any modern defense-oriented JHP round by a major manufacturer...a few examples being Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST or HydraShok, Winchester Ranger-T, Remington Golden Saber, or Hornady TAP & TAP/FPD. As to +P and +P+ loads, it depends if you find them controllable in your weapon, they shoot to your point of aim, and--most importantly!--are reliable in your weapon. Actually, those points apply to any self defense round...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Still learning lingo etc about handguns. Lots of info here to read and absorb. Great site, GREAT GUN.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good advice from Cuda66. For SD ammo pick something that cycles reliably in your pistol and also make sure there is data available that shows expansion is good with your barrel length.

For me, I settled on Federal HST 147 gr +p in my XD9-SC, but there are other excellent cartridges out there as well. In a 4 or 5 inch barrel, +p rounds may over-expand and underpenetrate. +p+ rounds exceed SAAMI specifications for pressure and are loaded to manufacturer specifications rather than international standards.

Choose what works for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts