Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. This seems to be a pretty active forum. I'm glad to finally be a member here.

Anyways, I have a Stag Model 1 with a 1/9 twist. I think I'm having accuracy issues. With a 55 gr. bullet at 100 yards, I could not get better than a 5-6 inch group. I tried a 68 gr. bullet, and it seemed to help a little, but I still cannot get them to group any better than about 4 inches. I was thinking that maybe the 68's were to heavy and not being stabalized enough, so I ordered a box of 63 gr bullets. I'm still waiting for them to get here. What I was wondering is if this is about what I can expect out of this rifle. If not, and if I cant get better results out of the 63 gr bullets, then I was going to send it into Stag since the barrel has a lifetime warranty, and either get it replced or have them confirm there is nothing wrong with it.

At the 2 and 300 yard lines there are 12"x6" metal plates that I can hit all day with it. The groups just are not great on paper. So, for anyone who has prior experiance with this particular rifle, I would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is an email from Stag to me. About the 1/9 twist and bullet weights that they say can be used.

I have a Stag 2T with a 1/9 twist rate, what bullet weights can I use with this rifle?

Richard Conrad

Richard,

You can shoot 40-70 grain bullets with your rifle. If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Customer Service
Stag Arms
860-229-9994 x2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw your thread you started about the email, and actually found it to be pretty interesting. I never thought a 40 gr. bullet would work well in a 1/9. Learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've got two Stags including the Model 1. They shoot as well as my issued M-16/M-4s did. I use mainly irons but the groups I get are much better than you describe using mil-spec 55 and 62 grain 5.56 ammo. I did have one problem with my Model 1, the barrel came a little loose from the upper. The barrel could be twisted by hand from left to right slightly. Check yours as this sometimes happens on ARs but is not an excuse for Stag or it happening to a new AR. If you don't feel confident to tighten up the barrel lock ring yourself call Stag if indeed this is your problem. I recommend calling them in the first place if something is loose or just not functioning right. They sent me a pre-paid UPS shipping label and had the rifle fixed and in my hot little hands in less than two weeks. Whatever others may say about their quality their customer service is excellent! My Model 4 has been flawless.

But, before you go too far, maybe let someone you know is a decent shot or familiar with the AR shoot it a little to see if it is user error and not a hardware problem.

·
Registered
838 Posts
How are you getting those groups?

Off hand?
Bench with a rest?
Irons?
Powered scope?
This is the right question. 55 grn. 5.56 ammo groups very well from my 1/9 , scoped S&W. My range owner who is a bonafide expert marksman can group better than me with the same combination but that only means that MY SKILLS are the limiting factor.

Have a known good shot try it and make sure your sighting system is zeroed correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the rplies everyone.

I am shooting this rifle with an Eotech sight, as well as a rear BUIS. I am shooting with a bipod rested on a shooting bench.

I havn't noticed my barrel being loose. Definately something I will check. I consider my self a pretty decent shot with other rifles such as my M1A, but I will get someone else to try it and see if they get the same results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was curious of those who own a Stag Model 8 how they're liking it after a thousand rounds and if there have been any pain points. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well an Eotech isn't a precision optic, it's a 'battle' optic. So, don't expect pinpoint accuracy with it. imo, you're just expecting a bit too much from your current setup. If you put a magnified scope on there I'm sure you'd shrink those groups down quickly.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome to the forum for SC. I would try a different optic and I think you will be surprised at how you can tighten those groups up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ive got a m4 sized stag and use it as a ranch gun and it has surprisingly tight groups at 100yds around 4in with stock open sights

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a model 1 I bought about a year ago and the accuracy is horrible. I have not contacted stag about it. I was grouping about 12" at 100 and about 30" at 200 with a 4-16x50. I tried 3 scopes and 4 rests and never improved. I also tried 6 different brands and weights of bullets.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have 2 Stags, a Model 3 and a 3G. Both shoot very well. This group was using cheap-as-I-can-find ammo, probably 55gr, at 100 yards out of my 16" barrel Model 3 with a Weaver 1-3x scope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts