Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I'm not saying that this is how it should be done but... IF I had one, I would mount my laser on my rifle where I would want it, turn on my laser bore sighter and sight it in at 25 yards. Basically put both dots on the same spot at 25 yards.

My irons and my red dots are zeroed at 50 yards, the only reason why I would use my laser would be for faster acquisition in CQB situations. That's when a laser would come in handy, and since in CQB situations, most targets will probably be closer in distance. Hence the difference in yards from zeroing my irons/red dot to a laser.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Wait, so you zero red dot and irons at 50 yards? I thought the standard for both was 100 yards?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not saying that this is how it should be done but... IF I had one, I would mount my laser on my rifle where I would want it, turn on my laser bore sighter and sight it in at 25 yards. Basically put both dots on the same spot at 25 yards.

My irons and my red dots are zeroed at 50 yards, the only reason why I would use my laser would be for faster acquisition in CQB situations. That's when a laser would come in handy, and since in CQB situations, most targets will probably be closer in distance. Hence the difference in yards from zeroing my irons/red dot to a laser.

thats why I'm asking for insights. from other aAR owners who has laser sights what would be the best distance for zeroing a laser sight.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Wait, so you zero red dot and irons at 50 yards? I thought the standard for both was 100 yards?

I zeroed my irons and red dot at 50 yards. Which is almost the same at 200 yards. Zeroing at 25yards is also similar to zeroing at 100 yards.

In my post regarding the laser. I would zero the laser at 25 yards, even though my irons and red dot are at 50. My reasoning behind that is, I would only use my laser as a faster acquisition in close quarter situations. I.E. clearing a building or my home. As fast as the EOTechs and Aimpoints are, lasers are faster, just point the dot and fire.

Of course this is my personal preference. I don't have a laser and for now, I don't see myself getting one. If I do get one though it would be one from Insight, in particular the Insight CVL... It's very expensive though, and there are cheaper alternatives... But I just don't have a need for a laser on my ARs right now.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
any thoughts on how to zero laser sight properly?

It depends on the type of laser and how you are going to use it.

A visible red laser isn't going to be very useful outdoors in the sunshine.
You'll have limited visiblility, meaning it will be pretty close, mabey 10 to 15 yards.

Indoors it will be easily visible, but then you won't need it for long distance. ;)

The green laser is supposed to be visible at longer range in the sunshine.

So in short, I have mine set at about 20 feet for indoor use

1 - 6 of 6 Posts