Springfield XD Forum banner

How to tweak and still keep the gun reliable?

792 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Neoprofin 
#1 ·
Hello tweakers,

I don't like to leave anything bone stock, but with a gun I would expect complete reliability at all times. Based on your experience, how much tweaking is too much? Especially in these areas:

Guide Rods, springs: The DGR and others seem to be popular, but it seems that putting on a heavier spring will increase the possibility of incomplete cycling. Is there a threshold that will still produce reliability equal to the stock spring? (EG on my .40 would a 20# spring work _all_ the time?)

Trigger kits: I'm planning on installing the PRP kit, but the same thing applies to the Springer. It seems the various parts affecting the trigger travel will not affect reliability at all. However, will adding softer springs (especially the sear spring) lead to the primer not being struck hard enough?

Barrel conversions : Is there a way to go from .40 to 9mm and still keep the firearm just as reliable as stock? Would I need to keep the stock slide spring or use something softer? It seems very reasonable to use a dedicated 9mm magazine at least.

I'm not going to carry but even so I don't want to get more comfort or performance at the expense of reliability.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Trigger kits: The sear spring will not lead to soft primer strikes, it might lead to the gun not cocking if the spring is too light. A lighter striker spring might cause light primer strikes.

#4 ·
I don't think you're going to have a problem with reliability doing any of those.
I agree it's possible to do these mods and end up with a reliable gun.

However there are long threads about people having trouble if using a heavy spring with a DGR, misfeeds from their magazine after a 9mm conversion etc. I'm trying to find the most reliable platforms people have ended up with if they did any of these mods.

#5 ·
1. DGR with 18# spring OEM weight.

2. Properly fitted and tested trigger job done by Springer or Powder River. Personally I would not use lighter springs in the trigger job.

#6 ·
Hello tweakers,
how much tweaking is too much?

Thanks!
meth is never good :p

i dont have a gun that is stock... not a single one. I just love messing with them its very addictive...just like the other tweaking

#7 ·
I agree it's possible to do these mods and end up with a reliable gun.

However there are long threads about people having trouble if using a heavy spring with a DGR, misfeeds from their magazine after a 9mm conversion etc. I'm trying to find the most reliable platforms people have ended up with if they did any of these mods.
ive used a DGR with a 24# spring and it cycled perfectly even with blazer brass and WWB.

#8 ·
Just would like to add that I've got first hand experience with these modifications on my XD9 Service. PRP Match Target Trigger Kit, PRP Basic Easy Fit Overtravel Stop, Wolff Guide Rod 21# with no problems in reliability. I've shot a couple thousand rounds through it with these modificaitons. I shoot standard factory 115 grain rounds. I've never had a FTF or FTE, either.

#9 ·
Just would like to add that I've got first hand experience with these modifications on my XD9 Service. PRP Match Target Trigger Kit, PRP Basic Easy Fit Overtravel Stop, Wolff Guide Rod 21# with no problems in reliability. I've shot a couple thousand rounds through it with these modificaitons. I shoot standard factory 115 grain rounds. I've never had a FTF or FTE, either.
That's what I'm looking for! Thanks.

Anyone else: do you have reliable configuration with a 9mm conversion, either Pistolgear or Firedragon? Did you use the factory spring or a soft DRG?

#10 ·
When I switched to a guide rod with a heavier spring WWB stopped cycling reliably for me, which is no big loss, I hate the stuff anyway. Everything else works just fine.

I have a 9mm EKF Firedragon which works beautifully except with shorter JHP ammo. I'm pretty sure if I put some time in and polished the feed ramp it'd be fine too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.