Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help a noob out

I want to take my stock off, but for the love of god can't figure it out to save my life, I can only imagine how simple it is, but I am struggling over here. I have a crappy ar14 wrench but I pretty much bent it to Sheet

thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Are you wanting to remove just the stock or the stock and buffer tube? If you want to remove the stock and have a collapsible stock, you just pull down on the lever that allows the stock to collapse. Then it will slide off the buffer tube. If you have an A2 stock then I believe you have to remove the castle nut in which you would need a wrench.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to remove the castle nut, I guess my wrench just sucks, It bent in half...........

I want to replace the stock and buffer tube, Mine is currently pined together.

so i guess I need to buy a good wrench then?

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
That is what I would suggest or just take it to a gun shop that can do it in a few minutes for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You need to see if your castle nut is staked/spot welded to the plate, it will be near impossible to remove if that is the case.

If it's not, you need to also consider the possibility that the nut has loc-tite or some other thread glue, something that requires you to heat the nut with a blow torch for a bit to deactivate the glue.

But, you should first try with a good Spanner wrench (~$8 ). Don't kill yourself. If it's not coming off after a few good tries, take it to a local trustworthy gunsmith.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's an awesome tutorial. Bookmark it. I had to take a torch to slightly heat up my castle nut (had locktite) when I removed a stock.
AR15.COM :: Forums :: Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions!

I like this tool the best...(got mine from Bushmaster)

AR-15 Combination Armorer's Wrench for Newer TeleStocks
A newer design Armorer's Wrench that fits the latest model telestocks with the cuts on the locking ring, this heavy duty tool combines many necessary functions for the AR15/M16 armorer, and features rugged steel construction with a "hammered" black/grey finish - 1.125 lbs - 12.25" overall. A two sided wrench at one end fits either multi-point or peg style barrel nuts on barrels up to 1" in diameter. A breaker bar or torque wrench can fitted into the 1/2" square drive opening. Two other slots fit A1 and A2 birdcage flash suppressors and receiver extensions.

Weight: 1.125 lbs. / Length: 12.25"

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips guys, At least I know I am not crazy with it being a PITA.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
also before paying a gun smithing fee try a little WD-40 i had a hard time getting mine off sprayed it with some DW and a let it set for a few minutes and it came right off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The springs do tend to fly quickly. Break that stock free in a closed room, on your wife's pristine light-colored carpet! You'll thank us later.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts