Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I won't go into any details about what I am selling, in case that breaks any forum rules (though if it doesn't, then I would be happy to provide details). Basically I am a very new gun owner, purchased an XD-S a couple of months ago new from a large retailer, and now, while I do really like the gun for what it is, I have figured out that I want a smaller gun for concealed carry. So I have now purchased a Kahr CW380, and I'm very happy with it, and as a result I really need to sell the XD-S in order to free up some cash. The local dealers tell me that I would get a much better price doing it myself, given all the accessories which I have that I would like to sell with the gun (they would only really be interested in the gun itself).

Here's the question: What's the best way to sell a gun like this? I've found websites like armslist and gunbroker, but I would be quite nervous meeting someone off the internet to sell a gun. Well, I know I could do it, but it just seems kind of iffy - people talk about meeting in a public place etc, but the idea of meeting someone in a car park and dealing with them out of the trunk of my car (while trying to make sure nobody sees us)... seems difficult. How to handle the conflicting requirements of a) needing to be in a public place so there's less risk of getting mugged, while b) not wanting some passing soccer mom to call the police because there are two guys handling guns in the parking lot. I don't know.

I should add that I am new to this area and don't have any buddies who could accompany me to the meet. I know that sounds kind of sad, but it's just the reality of the situation - I can't bring anyone else. The people I do know are not "gun" people at all.

I'd like to get the best price, because I did put quite a lot of money into accessorizing the gun. Can anybody give me some clues as to what would be the best way to sell it? If possible, I'd like as much detail about the process as possible, because it's quite daunting given how easy it would be to come into contact with entirely the wrong type of person.

I would much prefer to sell locally. I could imagine specifying in the ad that the person has to have a CHL, which I would want to see, and that they would have to sign a bill of sale in order to help prevent problems for me down the line should the weapon be used in a crime. What would such a bill of sale look like, exactly? What information is included? Am I going to find people giving me grief because of these requirements? I think the CHL (concealed handgun license, as it's called here in Oregon) would be good because it shows that they have at least been able to pass the background check at some point. It would certainly make me feel better about selling them the gun.

I notice this site has classifieds - would that be a good option?

Thanks for any clues... sorry if all of this is obvious stuff, like I said I am complete novice in the world of firearms.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried posting in the Classifieds section, but it tells me I am not authorized to access that page. How do you get permission to post a classified here?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think you have to have a minimum number of posts. I wanna say like 10?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, ok. Well I guess I have to interact with you guys a bit more first then! Um, how about them Yankees? Er, nice weather today, isn't it?

Or, we can talk about the good old days... hey, remember half an hour ago, when I first joined? Man, we were younger then...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Go to the new member welcome center and start a thread introducing yourself. People here will converse with you if you put yourself out there.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, but how about those other questions I had in my original post, about the process of meeting someone and selling a gun, requiring a CHL, bill of sale etc? Surely those are interesting questions, anyone have insights or advice for that? I'd much rather talk about something that is actually relevant, than trying to make up topics out of thin air...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Look up your local state and federal laws pertaining to the private sale of a firearm. IF it is legal in your state then I would try and get a friend or acquaintance to tag along. If no one is available, make the transaction in a well lit public place (or just during the daytime) that you know well. Put a price that you are willing to negotiate from and know what your bottom dollar you would take is. Start a bit above that and go from there but don't go below your bottom dollar. Don't put 600$ FIRM. Those people need to get real. There is always wiggle room. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I believe private sale of firearms is legal in Oregon, based on discussions I've been having with the local gun shops. At least, nobody has been telling me "You can't do that", in fact my LGS told me I would get a lot more doing it privately. I'm aware of the issues going out of state, but I would much rather do this locally, face to face.

I have posted over on the "new members" forum, just talked about what's on my mind, hope it doesn't offend anybody. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just paid for the XDTalk site subscription, thinking that this might "validate" me enough to be able to post a classified ad. Apparently not: When I go there now and try to post, it tells me that I need to have 50 posts on the site before I can do a classified. Ok, so I have a ways to go here...

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I have done literally dozens of trades and sales using Armslist...have yet to encounter a problem after the initial interaction via email; keep a few things in mind if you go that route--

1) Some folks do not like the "Bill of Sale" bit...the entire premise of avoiding a 4473 and having a CWP to avoid NICS tie-ups is gone when you demand a Bill of Sale--if you keep your email conversations thats enough to get you off the hook should the need ever arise...

2) Don't demand MSRP...shops are struggling right now to move inventory because the face-to-face market is exploding; prices and convenience sell guns...

3) Springfield is running their 3 Free Magazine promo...make sure you take that into consideration...if you don't price accordingly you are going to have a very rough time compensating the $135 discount that basically makes on a new purchase

4) Keep in mind that the fellow you are selling to might frequent the same ranges/shops you do...don't be a demanding diva when the terms come up...

All in All I have made some pretty good friends from deals on Armslist and even have a couple of fellas in a network we feed eachother leads and info...become a nice little side hobby

Best of Luck to ya and Welcome to our little piece of sanity in an insane world

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I couldn't find any reference to that on Springfield's site... do you have a link?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, that is a nice deal for anyone buying a new gun. Thanks again! I will factor that into my price when I am finally able to post an actual classified ad.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just saw the other additions you made to your post re the bill of sale. Thanks, that too is food for thought. My main idea there was to try to ensure that I'm not selling a gun to a convicted felon or other type of criminal. So how do people deal with that sort of concern, or do you just not worry about it? I mean, surely there are some laws against selling to a felon, aren't there? Could I go to jail for doing that, potentially? What kind of due diligence does the law say I have to do here?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Just saw the other additions you made to your post re the bill of sale. Thanks, that too is food for thought. My main idea there was to try to ensure that I'm not selling a gun to a convicted felon or other type of criminal. So how do people deal with that sort of concern, or do you just not worry about it? I mean, surely there are some laws against selling to a felon, aren't there? Could I go to jail for doing that, potentially? What kind of due diligence does the law say I have to do here?
I require a CWP or Permit to Purchase...verify it looks legit and they acknowledge they have it in an email; problem solved...

I won't get into my personal views on the entire 4473 process and the Ponzi Scheme built upon it...just trying to help you appeal to the widest possible demographic--Local and State Regs fall upon you...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How do you handle the actual meeting with the buyer? I would appreciate any details regarding location, how to have it be public without having someone call the cops when they see guns being handled, how to avoid being robbed by the guy who just gave you money in exchange for a gun + ammunition...

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
How do you handle the actual meeting with the buyer? I would appreciate any details regarding location, how to have it be public without having someone call the cops when they see guns being handled, how to avoid being robbed by the guy who just gave you money in exchange for a gun + ammunition...
I am always armed for starters...Public meetings are mandatory and I typically pick somewhere I am clearly visible but where the area is busy enough to have lots of potential witnesses...

I will not meet guys at private residences...or either party's employer...ideally I like to meet at a range complex--makes all your concerns vanish

Being cautious is smart...being paranoid is not...fine line

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ideally I like to meet at a range complex--makes all your concerns vanish
That's actually a great idea. Nobody will think twice about two guys looking at guns at a range. Plus, the buyer can try out the gun right then and there, to make sure it functions satisfactorily. And, who is going to mug someone at a shooting range???

Shame there aren't more ranges nearby here... there is one, but I would need to join the club to be able to use it, I think. I'll look into that, thanks again.

Edit: Hmm, apparently the yearly dues at the local club are around $140, with $100 initiation... money is a little tight at the moment (that's why I have to try to sell the XD-S), so that club might be off the cards for now... shame.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
That's actually a great idea. Nobody will think twice about two guys looking at guns at a range. Plus, the buyer can try out the gun right then and there, to make sure it functions satisfactorily. And, who is going to mug someone at a shooting range???

Shame there aren't more ranges nearby here... there is one, but I would need to join the club to be able to use it, I think. I'll look into that, thanks again.

Edit: Hmm, apparently the yearly dues at the local club are around $140, with $100 initiation... money is a little tight at the moment (that's why I have to try to sell the XD-S), so that club might be off the cards for now... shame.
doesnt mean ya couldnt facilitate the meeting in their parking lot...same advantages apply just no bueno on shooting

1 - 20 of 53 Posts