Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tactical has a dull gray, kinda textured finish on it. I don't think SA offered the tactical with this finish so I think it was coated by the previous owner. It's only a year old so..
Anyway, I put it up for a week. When I went to get it out of its rug there was quite a bit of surface rust. Most of it on top of the slide near the front site and down around the guide rod area. Strange thing was that a scratch down to the metal was not rusty at all. I wiped it down with CLP before I put it up but I may have left some prints on it. I keep three little packets of dessicant in the case too.
How do you clean surface rust of such a pourous finish? I used one of those Magic Erasers but still didn't seem to get it all. Any suggestions? Will SA refinish a rusting slide that someone has already refinished?
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
The easiest way is to find the finest grit steel wool and buff the area (softely, don't remove any color) using a little oil as a lubricant. That will remove the rust. After that, coat the area with a light layer of oil and let it sit for a bit.

As for the refinish question, my guess is no, but you can always ask them. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts