Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shooter at an open match had Hi-cap mags for his XD 9mm which holds 18 rounds. He told me he got the mags on a trade and does not know who makes them as they have no markings.

I have just purchased the XD 9mm Tactical and am going to use it for competition. For the open matches I can use Hi-caps. For IDPA I can only use 10 rounds.

I did research on the internet I found that Beretta 92 magazines work in the XD and they hold 17 rounds.

I e-mailed the SA custom shop about using Beretta 92 magazines for my XD 9mm Tactical.

The SA custom shop wrote back: Beretta 92 magazines require modification before they can be used in the XD series of pistols.

So I e-mailed them back and of course this was their response:

We do not sell the modified Beretta 92 magazines and cannot tell you how to modify them for use with the XD handguns.

Can someone tell me what I have to do to modify the Beretta 92 magazines to get them to work in my new XD?

Thanks!

AZSilver

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would suggest using either factory XD-40 10 or 12 round magazines in your XD-9. The 10-rounder will hold 15 9mm rounds & the 12-round holds 17 rounds of 9mm.
This way you won't have to modify the mags except slightly pinching the lips together if necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done that modification to the stock XD 40 S&W mags and used them in the XD 9mm? Can that change cause any problems or malfunctions with the guns performance?

Thanks!

AZSilver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Under the heading:

I heard you can interchange different magazines is this true?

I found the information about using the 40 mags and modifying them for use in the XD 9mm. But I can not find any information about Beretta Magazine modification. Am I looking in the right area?

Thanks,

AZSilver

·
Registered
212 Posts
You need to make a hole in front of the magazine. My suggestion would be line up one with a stock XD mag. Measure down from the top an cut out a similar hole on the 92 mag.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just be advised that with the baretta mag you cannot slam the magazine in. it is slightly longer and if you do slam it, you risk breaking the extractor i think it is. you might be able to put something on the butt plate of the baretta mag in order to have a spacer so you can slam it in there during a quick reload in a competition.

Of course if you just modify the feed lips of an XD 40 mag, then you can feed 17 rounds of 9mm in it. to me that would be the better route.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Fyi ... the beretta mag might not lock the slide back after the last round. I know this because I bought one off a guy on gunbroker and before I took the gun out to shoot I loaded 3 rounds then hand cycled them and it would not lock back after the last round .

Plus dont take offense to this but ... people were using these during the awban and even springfield was selling limited numbers of them. Since they now make hi cap mags for our guns your best bet is to just go buy the high caps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would not reccomend doing it for the reason mentioned that if you slam in the modified Beretta mag you WILL break the end of the ejector off. On the SA mag the base plate will contact the grip frame to prevent over insertion, the Beretta mad body won`t.
It will not lock the slide back as was mentioned unless you also modify the notch for the follower to contact the slide stop.
IMHO it would be well worth the loss of a couple of rounds versus the loss of the ejector.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How about machining out the capacity limiting ribs on the XD9 magazines. Looks like a simple job for a vertical mill. Anybody try this?

This should get you factory correct feed lips and 17-18 round capacity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about machining out the capacity limiting ribs on the XD9 magazines. Looks like a simple job for a vertical mill. Anybody try this?

This should get you factory correct feed lips and 17-18 round capacity.

I don't see why you couldn't cut out the rib in the magazine. yea you'll have openings on each side, which could also aid in round count. And before anyone says something about structural integrity look at the Makarov magazine, it hardly has any sides to it at all. I have modified some Beretta 92 magazines for my XD-40. You do not need Beretta 96 (40S&W) mags to feed 40's in the XD. You'll see if you measure the lips are the same dimension. I assume cause the feed lips are so far back on the magazine that that is the reason. On my Beretta mag conversion I cut the feed lips back like on the XD mag and opened the slide catch just like the XD then cut the "D" shape catch in the front of the magazine. I'm looking for XD mag bases to install on my mags. Also Springfield use to convert these mags to sell to the publis so it's nothing unusual and very safe and dependable in any stuation with the proper magazine base.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Have you done that modification to the stock XD 40 S&W mags and used them in the XD 9mm? Can that change cause any problems or malfunctions with the guns performance?

Thanks!

AZSilver
I have done it. It worked great, never had a problem.
Unfortunately it was lost in a canoeing accident.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 'hole' is the hold-open index; do NOT insert the Beretta mag into the gun without the notch cut; you can get filler pads from many suppliers to close the gap and keep the 'new' mag from being seated too far up the well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If that XD is ever used for self defense, I wouldn't even consider using a mag or having one in the house other than the correct XD mag for that particular gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOL!! This thread is ok in my book!! There are other choices shooters!! Check my other thread. "Definitive Mag List". Been using M9 mags since the Clinton ban. They work just fine for me(and many others) Just be sure to use actual Beretta mags, and the slide lock feature should still work. And as stated, if jammed in too hard, they can break the extractor tip. So you need to get a spacer, or dont slam them home too hard. I believe Pearce made one(could be wrong on that though) and there's probably others that make spacers that work as well now. I just made my own.

Went with the wife to Michaels craft supply. At that store they have thermal curing plastic putty called Premo. Comes in all kinds of colors. I went with tactical black. :lol: Bought some and made a spacer right on the mag body, and used the pistol to form a perfect fit. Once it was shaped to match the grip and done, I removed the baseplate, spring and follower, placed the entire mag body in the oven for 20 minutes, and let it cool. Slides right on and off. I made a bunch.

As for the mag catch mod. Look at the hole on the stock mag on the front of the mag tube. Its shaped like a D with the flat part facing the mag base. A small flat jewelers file and a drill would be all thats needed to mod the Berettas. Some Beretta mags actually have the hole already drilled, you just have to put the flat on the bottom.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You need to make a hole in front of the magazine. My suggestion would be line up one with a stock XD mag. Measure down from the top an cut out a similar hole on the 92 mag.
I did exactly what he said: line it up against an XD mag, then mark the hole in the front of the magazine, just like the XD factory mag has. Then cut that slot with your Dremel tool cutting wheel. Works like a charm. Only thing is you can't slam the magazine in, like others have noted-- you need to be a little more gentle.

Obviously, test it thoroughly before relying on it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What exactly is the point of all this effort? To gain one extra round capacity?

Standard XD magazine 16 plus one in the chamber = 17.

Why bother if the Beretta magazine holds 17? To get 18?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts