Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had recently had an issue where I came up short some bullets in some boxes that I purchased from Cabelas. These were Berry's bullets in .40 cal, I contacted them and was quickly responded to with basically "it should not have happened, send me your address and I will get some coming to you". Happy to report that they followed thru and I received a box containing a sampling of .40, .45 and .22 cal bullets. My question is this, the .40 and .45 bullets are hollow based. The .40's are 165gr HBFP-TP and the .45's are 185gr HBRN...does anyone have any reloading data on these bullets. I can not find anything for the hollow base bullets and don't know if it changes the charge or not. I currently run Power Pistol & W-231 powders and Remington primers of respective sizes for each caliber. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
37 views and no replies? I just need to know if my current charge needs to be changed to accomodate the "extra" space and if the seating depth needs to be changed? Logic tells me yes but not sure...

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
If they are jacketed do not change seating depth. I have loaded 185 TMJ 45s that have a punted base. Load as normal.

Loaded unreal amounts of Winchester 115 FMJ with a punted base and once again they are loaded as normal.

If its a true hollow base like a 38 spcl wadcutter then yes things will be different. If you put some pics up it would help too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are actully hollow based, and yes they are Berry's Plated bullets...pics attached

$SAM_1388.jpg $SAM_1389.jpg $SAM_1390.jpg $SAM_1391.jpg

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Like any new part when reloading, start 10% below your normal and work back up. I see no problems with loading normaly, but work your way up to be safe. I would not alter seating depth though.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have loaded some Berrys. Yours are plated. Correct? The bullets I have (200 gr 45) have a flat base so I only have one comment. You know to load them to lead specks right?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have loaded some Berrys. Yours are plated. Correct? The bullets I have (200 gr 45) have a flat base so I only have one comment. You know to load them to lead specks right?
Yea, I have loaded sh*t tons of the flat based platted from Berrys...just never even seen the hollow based ones....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like any new part when reloading, start 10% below your normal and work back up. I see no problems with loading normaly, but work your way up to be safe. I would not alter seating depth though.
Thanks Boris...was thinking this too, but as I said I only have a few of these (50 for the .40 and 60 for .45) and wont be purchasing them. These were sent as replacements for some that I was short on the FN for my .40. Normal loads for me are the copper plated FN for my .40 which have the solid base. Was really not wanting to do a whole new work up for these but I think that a drop in charge is in order just to be on the safe side and shoot them up...

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
These hollow base bullets bring up new questions. I went to Berrys web site to see if they had any load information and found this note.

The "Hollow Base" in the base of the bullet allows us to make a longer profile without adding weight. For example if we were to hollow base a 230gr .45 ACP bullet, it now weighs 185gr.. The longer profile gives more "Bearing Surface" on the bullet, which helps a pistol barrel stabilize the bullet.

This makes me think that the bullets are supposed to be seated deeper to get the extra bearing surface they are referring to. IMO only I would first weigh the bullets to make sure you are using the correct load information for the correct weight of bullet. Then use the OAL for the weight you are loading.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
they are talking about bearing surface in the bore, not the case. Just seat them to 230 grain specs. My 1911 I had did not like short OAL bullets.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the clarification. Load to 185 specs, seat it like a 230.
I'm going to load these a little lighter than my "regular" load and just shoot these up since I will likely not be purchasing them...although I may change my mind after firing these.

Load for .40 will be:
5.0gr 231 seated to 1.115"
6.2gr Power Pistol seated to 1.115"

Load for .45acp will be:
4.8gr 231 seated to 1.275"
7.6gr Power Pistol seated to 1.275"

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'm going to load these a little lighter than my "regular" load and just shoot these up since I will likely not be purchasing them...although I may change my mind after firing these.

Load for .40 will be:
5.0gr 231 seated to 1.115"
6.2gr Power Pistol seated to 1.115"

Load for .45acp will be:
4.8gr 231 seated to 1.275"
7.6gr Power Pistol seated to 1.275"
Unless your gun likes the max OAL of 1.275", I would check first, make sure they fit the chamber/bbl before loading a bunch. Many guns, the XD particularly, have shallow throats I can't load much past 1.260" in my XDTAC w/ any bullet, much shorter w/ several designs. The 185grHB is an accurate bullet, that is a very light load @ 4.8gr. As we discussed, the HB basically increases case volumn, so lower pressures are the result.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless your gun likes the max OAL of 1.275", I would check first, make sure they fit the chamber/bbl before loading a bunch. Many guns, the XD particularly, have shallow throats I can't load much past 1.260" in my XDTAC w/ any bullet, much shorter w/ several designs. The 185grHB is an accurate bullet, that is a very light load @ 4.8gr. As we discussed, the HB basically increases case volumn, so lower pressures are the result.
As always, thanks fred...your input is always helpful! :D I pulled the 1.275 out of the manual for that load, my typical seating depth is 1.260 for my .45 1911 for a 230gr plated bullet. Since the HB bullet decreases case pressure it would be safe to load as usual then, and possibly a little heavier than what my "normal" target load would be I would assume. I don't see the necessity in pushing it any harder than I would be with just running my normal loads tho. I was just more concerned about not being able to find any info on these and never loading them before. I could assume all day, but when all is said and done a good day at the range means all my guns, fingers, hands and eyes come home with me at the end in one piece! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
XDm_Shooter - What was your results on the Berry's Hollow Base .40 bullets - using the WIN 231 Powder. What load seemed to be the best? I load the Regular .40, 165gr FPs with WIN 231 at 5.1gr, OAL 1.27. I have 250 of the 165gr Hollow Base bullets and rather have experienced info on the loads. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
XDm_Shooter - What was your results on the Berry's Hollow Base .40 bullets - using the WIN 231 Powder. What load seemed to be the best? I load the Regular .40, 165gr FPs with WIN 231 at 5.1gr, OAL 1.27. I have 250 of the 165gr Hollow Base bullets and rather have experienced info on the loads. Thanks!
With the same load & OAL, they will run slightly lower pressure. SO you can use the same data you are currently using. There is no best load in all guns, so you are just gonna have to load some up & try them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
They will load just like a plain base. Just do not load them hot. I got 500 hollow based 165's and used Unique with load data from Alliant and Berry's recommendation of using mid range jacketed data. During my workup, I had evidence of some bullets fragmenting (more holes than shots fired). Comparing recipes for Unique from other sources, I found the Alliant load was hotter than the rest. I am guessing the higher pressure was fragmenting the walls of the hollow base.

I finished up the box using charge data from the Lyman book and had no more problems.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My only experience with hollow base bullets was many years ago with hollow based wadcutters in 38spcl and 357. The purpose at the time was to insure a good gas seal in the chamber and barrel with light loads, as the hollow base would expand more readily than a solid would. When I saw those hollow base bullets on the Berry's site a while back, and read their bit about longer bullet per weight, it puzzled me somewhat. As daytona-Knight has noticed, loading to full pressure may cause some problems. I suspect that some plating shearing is taking place as the bullet leaves the chamber and the back end is expanding as the front enters the rifling of the barrel. So... if I were you, I would keep the loads to more like mid-range for lead bullets of the same weight and try that. Physics is physics and a hollow base is going to expand more than a flat base. Moreso with faster powders. Since I have not used them though, just take this as an observation and something to think about.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
They will load just like a plain base. Just do not load them hot. I got 500 hollow based 165's and used Unique with load data from Alliant and Berry's recommendation of using mid range jacketed data. During my workup, I had evidence of some bullets fragmenting (more holes than shots fired). Comparing recipes for Unique from other sources, I found the Alliant load was hotter than the rest. I am guessing the higher pressure was fragmenting the walls of the hollow base.

I finished up the box using charge data from the Lyman book and had no more problems.
I have seen this as well w/ the Berry's 155gr HB. Push them hard & the skirt can blow out. Berry's says it can't happen but I have seen it on targets. They should NOT be pushed much above 1000fps IMO, faster can be a real issue blowing the HB apart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts