Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the XDs for a while but the gritty trigger is annoying me and I believe it is making me less accurate. It goes like this:

Smooth takeup
Creep tremor creep tremor
Click!

Any ideas on how to improve the break? I've already reduced the pull weight to 5.5 lbs, which is fine and not the issue. The issue is that the break is lousy and inconsistent.

Does anyone have any experience with the Powder River Precision sear? I am considering it but open to all ideas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the PRP spring and sear kit installed and while the break is not like glass it is smooth and predictable. Part of the problem I have is that I have no idea what your trigger pull or feel is really like so I can not compare it in any way. I wdid look at the schematics for both the XDs and XD and they appear to be virtually identical but I can not be certain what if anything has changed in 10 years. Based on your description of the issue I would start with the PRP kit and make my decision as to proceed with polishing after the PRP installation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. I have placed an order for the full PRP kit:

PRP-S007-SR-SS: XDs Spring, Disconnector, Sear & Striker Safety Kit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to Springfield and the XDs. Just purchased the 9mm 3.3 My question is, I see two different kits on the PRP website. One kit is the XDS Springs, Sear & NEW Disconnector Kit! which retails for 84.95 and the other is the PRP™ XDS Trigger Spring Kit with our NEW Disconnector which retails for 38.95 the only difference I see is the "sear" could you guys help me out and describe what difference the "sear" makes and if it's worth the extra 50 bucks. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Whitsel,

This article explains reasonably well what a sear is:
Sear (firearm) - Wikipedia

It's the part involved in the final release of the hammer / striker. A well engineered sear should result in a crisp release. A good crisp trigger makes a huge difference in shooting well, so the extra $50 is worth it in my opinion.

I have just ordered my kit that contains the sear, so I don't have any experience to report with it, but should have something to report next week.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the geometry of the PRP sear is different than stock. go with the sear kit for the extra money and fix that gritty stiff trigger once and for all. it's a great investment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My kit came in and I have given it to my local gunsmith. Hopefully will have a report this week.

I measured the trigger pull before I gave it in using a digital gauge and the pull was 3.23 kg = 7.12 lbs

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did the full kit minus striker safety as I cleaned that up myself. BIG difference in trigger. Before it was long heavy and very gritty to a heavy back wall 7+ lbs and then dumped into firing. More like a DA trigger. Now it’s fairly smooth and small progressive rate of pull to a clean break.
Not as crisp as the ultimate trigger kit on the XDm but for a daily carry on xds it’s very accepatable and accuracy in rapid fire is definitely tighter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did the full kit minus striker safety as I cleaned that up myself. BIG difference in trigger. Before it was long heavy and very gritty to a heavy back wall 7+ lbs and then dumped into firing. More like a DA trigger. Now it’s fairly smooth and small progressive rate of pull to a clean break.
Not as crisp as the ultimate trigger kit on the XDm but for a daily carry on xds it’s very accepatable and accuracy in rapid fire is definitely tighter.
I have the spring kit w/o sear on my 9mm XDs, and it helped the pull a fair amount. The XDs 45 I have, has the spring kit & sear from PRP, and it is much better (smooth, light and more consistent) a pull. I would definitely pay the extra bucks for the sear...you will enjoy the end product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
My xd-s trigger is awful. It is such a long pull and at the end it tightens up like it has glass in it and then finally releases. I literally could not believe how bad it is.

I am looking into a drop in third party trigger because I require the xd-s safety features for safe appendix carry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a combination of everything from PRP for the internals and the BRZ trigger. I've replaced everything possible with regard to fire control and I'm quite happy with how things turned out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My xd-s trigger is awful. It is such a long pull and at the end it tightens up like it has glass in it and then finally releases. I literally could not believe how bad it is.

I am looking into a drop in third party trigger because I require the xd-s safety features for safe appendix carry.
100% get the PRP Spring Kit WITH Sear for the XDS. I will recommend that until the cows come home. Such a great improvement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts