Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my question, I have three boys (7, 4, 3) who I want to start taking hunting and camping. My problem is I've never in my life have done either. Unfortunately, born and raised in city and my dad or uncles or even family friends for that matter were not into it. So, how do I go about getting into it myself (other than the obvious reading up on it) to get to the point where I can start taking them out and actually have a clue of what I'm doing? Granted I figured I would just start with camping and gradually add the later. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do you have any friends who do either?

Friends are an invaluable asset in a situation like this. A good afternoon chat about what you want to do will help get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Most states have forums, much like this one, dedicated to hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities. If you don't know anyone personally who hunts or camps, you might try finding such a forum, signing up, getting to know a few of the members (most of them have meet-n-greet events) and seeing if one, or more, of the members will "adopt" you and your boys.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm new to the camping world and am very much like you. I camped once when I was a kid but I don't even remember it. My kids are 6 (boy) and 4 (girl) and we've been camping since spring 2010 (about 6 times). I was fortunate to be pretty good friends with my kid's best friend's Dad and he's camped a few times. So he helped me decide on what kind of gear to get.

You can also go to a place like REI and talk to their staff about local camping places in your geography. They've helped me decide on some places. I won't buy from them yet, b/c their gear is way nicer and more expensive than I need.

Look at the state parks' websites in your state. You can usually find some good campsites.

Here is my gear that I bring (I'm only car-camping now): 6 person tent (really holds 4 comfortably, 2 queen air-mattresses and pump, 40 degree sleeping bags, 2 lanterns, pillows, cooler with food/beverages, wood if the site doesn't sell any, lighter, extension cord, plastic utensils, clothes, collabsible camping chairs, flashlights.

I bet you have some of that already.

It's fun. The kids love it. So do I. And now the wife is even enjoying it.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Ask around your community and see if there is a local Boy Scouts of America Cub Scouts program, join and have fun. Then they can become Boy Scouts after 5th grade, and have some real camping fun. We camp once a month, all 12 months, lots of fun as you can volunteer as a leader also.

A great way to learn outdoor skills, be prepared, do good things..... Not any hunting or killing though, but you can kind find that elsewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts