Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have in the bazaar in Kabul Afghanistan Acogs for 200 bucks give or take. How do I tell if A they are real, B if they work C if they were stolen from the military/what branch? I'm fairly positive I can roll back into the states with one, worse that will happen is they seize it at customs.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
For that sort of money where else would they come from then stolen somewhere? I can't see anybody selling them at such a price. Just my 2 cents, no offense.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For that sort of money where else would they come from then stolen somewhere? I can't see anybody selling them at such a price. Just my 2 cents, no offense.
somoenes never been to mexico. the guys that go ua from the ANA army sell theirs as well. I have a way to tell if that sn range is from there, if it is my possession wouldn't get me in trouble, guess your right in a way no point in asking.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
They have in the bazaar in Kabul Afghanistan Acogs for 200 bucks give or take. How do I tell if A they are real, B if they work C if they were stolen from the military/what branch? I'm fairly positive I can roll back into the states with one, worse that will happen is they seize it at customs.
FWIW....

Question A - Are they real? Doubt it. Way to tell; Serial #; most still have the Bible reference on the right side of the optic OR it's scratched off (you should be able to tell it was taken off). Example = JN314 for John 3:14.

Question B - Do they work? Look through it and a issued ACOG if you can get your hands on one. Cover the fiber optic on the top and the center chevron (which should be red or green) should get dark.

Question C - Are they stolen? Probably, if they are real and fully functional. Then again, if they are real and fully functional the Taliban will also probably be looking at them.

I'd be leary man, especially if you are mil.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm here in the Stan with you and the little bazaar at a FOB near me sells them too. EO Tech and others. They are fake, Chinese knock offs.

I haven't tested them personally but one of the Rangers I work with picked up one and he said surprisingly it held a zero.

I may pick up one for fun before I leave here.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I bought one from a guy on eBay. Before bidding I asked him for its story and the serial number. The story seemed legit: he bought it for his brother to use in A'stan but by the time he raked up the money to buy it for him his brother's unit was issuing them. He gave me the serial number and I contacted Trijicon to see if it was a legit serial number and they said yes.

Trijicon is very concerned about knock-offs with their name on it. If you buy a cheap piece of crap and equate it to Trijicon then they will suffer. They know this and want to avoid it. So, they are more than happy to help you determine whether it is real or not if you get the serial number first. Just write down one serial number and e-mail Trijicon and if it is a bad number then you can be sure that almost all of them are.

·
Administrator
22,443 Posts
Why would you want to give them money?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Why would you want to give them money?
Depends on who you mean by "them". A hard working human being that is looking to support their family then yes I will give them my money. If they (as in "them") couldn't make any money through trade then you know as well as I that they may instead have to go plant roadside bombs in order to earn a buck. A lot of those guys could care less about jihad, they just want to put food on the table.

·
Administrator
22,443 Posts
Depends on who you mean by "them". A hard working human being that is looking to support their family then yes I will give them my money. If they (as in "them") couldn't make any money through trade then you know as well as I that they may instead have to go plant roadside bombs in order to earn a buck. A lot of those guys could care less about jihad, they just want to put food on the table.
You dont know what that money is being used for after it leaves your hands.

You can go to the PX and buy a carton of smokes for 50 bucks. OR you can go to the bazar and they will have that same carton for 15. They will tell you it "fell" off the truck in trans. No thx. I would rather spend my money at the PX.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
You dont know what that money is being used for after it leaves your hands.

You can go to the PX and buy a carton of smokes for 50 bucks. OR you can go to the bazar and they will have that same carton for 15. They will tell you it "fell" off the truck in trans. No thx. I would rather spend my money at the PX.
I guess I know I can never compete with the BILLIONS of dollars the US government is giving to Pakistan to have them fund the insurgency. We are definitely financing both sides of this war.

·
Administrator
22,443 Posts
I guess I know I can never compete with the BILLIONS of dollars the US government is giving to Pakistan to have them fund the insurgency. We are definitely financing both sides of this war.
This is true, but I know im doing my part NOT to contribute.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
This is true, but I know im doing my part NOT to contribute.
I'm still going to say it depends. Forget knock off optics, how about the guy who owns the news stand or kabab shop that you stop at and buy something from every time your patrol goes through. That guy is far more likely to give you a call when the bad dudes roll into town and you get to eat something other than MREs and chow hall food. You might be peeing out your butt later but who couldn't stand to loss a few pounds, lol!

I have to strongly disagree that they are all bad. I've met plenty of Afghans that I could not believe the risks they were taking to stand up to insurgents and try to make their country better.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
From the FAQ section of Trijicon's website:

Trijicon® is proud of our line of innovative, quality Advanced Combat Optical Gunsights (ACOG®) and honored that the military, law enforcement organizations as well as recreational shooters around the world depend on our products. We want to make you aware that inferior products (knock-offs) are occasionally advertised for sale to our customers as Trijicon® products.
Genuine Trijicon® ACOG® scopes can be identified by three distinguishing characteristics:
  1. Every ACOG® will be marked with the serial number on the top of the scope, both on the eyepiece and the main housing
  2. All Trijicon® ACOG® scopes have a statement on the left side of the unit indicating that the sight contains tritium
  3. The words “Trijicon® ACOG®” are forged into the main housing and appear as raised letters

1 - 14 of 14 Posts