Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a bunch of older .38 Special rounds that I do not plan on shooting.

These were given to me by my Grandfather so I think they could be 10-20+ years old.

I am wondering what would be the best and safest way to dispose of this ammo.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
You could burn them. The fire will melt the powder, but will not set off the round because you have to strike the primer. or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I ain't never heered of this type delima befer.

Ed :shock:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
poortrader said:
You could burn them. The fire will melt the powder, but will not set off the round because you have to strike the primer. or something like that.

ummmm.... NO.

they will, i repeat, they WILL go off if thrown in a fire.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
R/T Performance said:
For God sake DO NOT BURN LIVE AMMO DEATH MAY OCCUR
Naw, it wont kill ya, the case ruptures and throws small pieces of brass shrapnel way too small to cause death.

Bullets do not shoot from the case as seen on TV. During a time, long ago in a land far far away, some military buddies and myself threw a handful of .223 rounds into a fire pit and backed way back, they all popped like firecrackers but no bullets fired out. In the morning we found ruptured cases in the pit along with deformed bullets from the heat.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME WE WERE BORED GI's WITH NO COMMON SENSE AND WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON OUR HANDS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Burning live ammo is NOT necessarily a safe form of disposal.
At the same time, it is not nearly the same as igniting a round inside the chamber.

I have intentionally burned defective or damaged, but otherwise live, rounds in a burning pit on several occasions in both pistol and rifle calibers. (I'm not recommending this, especially for any ordinance larger than individual small arms rounds.)

Typically the result is that the brass separates from the lead with a loud pop and some force. Since there is no chamber/barrel/bolt to give direction to the energy release, the force is disipated in all directions. The brass (being lighter than the bullet) may take flight, or if the brass is somehow captured the bullet may travel a few feet, but not at a rate that would likely cause death. A nearby-stander could have their eye put out, or be mildly burned if contacted by the flying case or cinder.

Ivan_O, I'd recommend one of the following easy methods for disposal:
1) If they are not damaged or corroded...shoot them.
2) Take them to a local range and ask if they can dispose of them for you.
3) Find a local reloader. He will probably have a $14 bullet puller, and he can recycle the brass. (Or buy a bullet puller yourself.)
4) If the other methods fail, call your local PD and ask them what they recommend.

On a side note, this question comes up here from time to time. Please let us know what ends up working for you. Thanks. sab

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts
oh send them to me I'll dispose of them. . . :twisted: I think they should be fine. . .
I've shot 20 year old Wadcutters out of my dad's security six. . . every one of them went bang, but if you're hesitant you could contact local law enforcement and they'll do something with them.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I used to take plyers, pull the bullet out, then
pour the powder in a pile and make genies out of it

smash the shell with a hammer to set the primer off

Granted I was young and found this entertaining. But was it dangerous?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Is old ammo ABS ammo? Already been shot!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You mean you guys don't have special ammo disposal sights in your town?! I try to go to my special ammo disposal sight as often as possible. I even have a special ammo disposal tool for depositing the ammo into the disposal area. You really do need a special tool because once you get to the ammo disposal sight you have to get the ammo another 100 yards to the designated rifle ammo disposal area.

The pistol ammo disposal area varies from 7 to 25 yards but I still use one of my special ammo disposal tools for that one too anyway because, well, honestly it's kind of fun disposing of all that ammo.

Remember, folks, do your duty and try to dispose of at least a couple hundred rounds a month (if not a week). Every time you dispose of ammo at a special ammo disposal sight you're making the world a safer place. Diane Feinstein told me so. Oddly enough though, she prefers that the ammo be disposed of by hand. Obviously she's never tried to throw ammo 100 yards to the special rifle ammo disposal area.

brad cook

·
Registered
823 Posts
poortrader said:
ROFLMAO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Obviously purely a theoretical opinion, right?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Ivan_Only said:
Hello,

I have a bunch of older .38 Special rounds that I do not plan on shooting.

These were given to me by my Grandfather so I think they could be 10-20+ years old.

I am wondering what would be the best and safest way to dispose of this ammo.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Unless there is some obvious problem with the ammo, such as the cases are corroded or some such, firing 20+ year old ammo is the best possible way to dispose of it. I am still shooting 1950s ammo and have some older than that.

Then again, it it scares you, I will reiterate the suggestions of others, send it to me and I will dispose of it safely and carefully for you, at no charge.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well, just last year I had to stop shooting 1920 headstamp ammo from my mauser because it was starting to hang like shooting blackpowder. It was kinda neat shooting ammo that was made around the same time as the gun.

Got out the bullet puller, dumped the powder into a big pile on a sheet of paper and wowed the crowd at our halloween bonfire w/ a big flash.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts