Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm not really a knife guy, so I'm curious what others think of the recommendations in this article.

How to Choose the Perfect Survival Knife: 6 Features to Look For | The Art of Manliness
Always interesting. I'm not a prepper. I'm not a knife expert. But on a practical basis, I will paraphrase some advice we often see on gun boards:

--The best knife is the one you have with you, not the one you left home.
--A knife is something I use for chopping/pounding/splitting until I have access to an axe.
--All tools break/fail/malfunction/get lost; have a spare and a backup plan.

Reactions: norb5150

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
From the viewpoint of a knife nut, that's a pretty well-written article, with reasonable advice and which does not belabor the point unnecessarily with technical jargon.

·
Premium Member
17,765 Posts
Good article. I have batoned with a folder, but it was tough due to limited blade length. Batoning is more about blade stoutness / thickness for me. It helps if the blade wedges the wood apart as you drive it down.

I like having a serrated edge for sawing but it’s not a deal-breaker.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
I also am not a knife nut. Franky, edged and pointed weapons give me the willies. I just got and sharpened a nice K-Bar. Left hand USN sheaf since I'm left handed. Works for me.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
This is my survival knife. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

These days, they're not cheap though. But this is one instance where you get your money worth out of it. You'd have to try really hard to tear it up. In fact, I'm not even real sure it's humanly possible.

The Buck-184 Buckmaster - The peak of survival knives!

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Scabbard for sword? Sheaf for knives? Which is which? And at what point does a knife become a sword? Used to be years ago most gentleman would definitely know because of the extensive long and short blade training. They needed it. Yikes!

Charlie's Surplus for the repo USN left hand K Bar Sheaf.

·
Premium Member
15,590 Posts
This is my survival knife. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

These days, they're not cheap though. But this is one instance where you get your money worth out of it. You'd have to try really hard to tear it up. In fact, I'm not even real sure it's humanly possible.

The Buck-184 Buckmaster - The peak of survival knives!
Great. Squirrel. Thanks. Now I have to go buy a knife.

Actually I had knives growing up. Haven't had a knife knife in a long time. Just folders now. Wasn't even going to read the thread... Good article. Ya, I need a knife. Good tool. Always hated the Rambo knife... Or at least the trying too hard to be tough/cool knives. But yes, good tool to have....

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
The first time you drop a knife on the ground, you love the orange color on the handle.
Anything that's a "user" that has the potential to get dropped on the ground out in the wild gets bright colors from me if it doesn't already have bright colors on it! :)

^ A light-colored mag with some bright fluorrescent orange on it makes it heckin' easier to see than a dark mag with dark markings. :)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts

I like these two alot. The barkriver bravo edc in A2 that i can carry everywhere in either that rigged sheath inside the pocket, or i have one for the belt. It's compact and light and can do almost anything the bigger one can minus be as comfortable.

The bigger one is an LT Wright with A2 and gets carried in the woods alot. Can cut and baton like crazy. Makes a good deer skinner too. And the sheath is pretty ok too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts