Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my XD9 3-dot sights are dull. I tried to clean them but not much difference. I want bright, white sight dots and am asking for advice on whether I should just use a toothpick to put a tiny drop of bright white paint on the existing site dots, or is something else better to use ?

Another question: Someone mentioned that a bright RED front sight dot is commonly used...is red or some other flourescent color preferrable to white ?

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
I would recommend a crop of this paint on ehe existing white dots. The tip of a toothpick should be all you need:

Glow in the Dark

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you're simply looking to brighten them up, rather than turning them into night sights... Yes, some bright white model/craft paint will work fine. Make sure the sights are very clean and dry, or it won't stick very well.

You can use a dab of clear coat (or clear nail polish) to seal them too.

I use a bit of white china marker (the same china marker used to color the etchings) to periodically touch them up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
bright white model paint did the job for me.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I think my XD9 3-dot sights are dull. I tried to clean them but not much difference. I want bright, white sight dots and am asking for advice on whether I should just use a toothpick to put a tiny drop of bright white paint on the existing site dots, or is something else better to use ?

Another question: Someone mentioned that a bright RED front sight dot is commonly used...is red or some other flourescent color preferrable to white ?
As part of regular gun cleaning procedure after each range session, I use a Q-Tip dipped in gun cleaning fluid (Hoppe's #9 for Autos); put the tip of the swab into the white dot and spin it between your fingers a little. It cleans the powder residue off and brings the dot right back to bright white. I keep a hand full of Q-Tips in with the cleaning swatches; they are great for cleaning the tight places that are hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would recommend a crop of this paint on ehe existing white dots. The tip of a toothpick should be all you need:

Glow in the Dark
"Daytime Color: Almost Clear with White-Green Tint"

Not sure what this means. Would the sights be slightly LESS visible in daylight if white with a slight green tint ? This sure looks like a great option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
^ that was my question as well. I think its the "glow in the dark" color that most kid's bracelets and necklaces are. That translucent mucus green.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took my slide to a nail salon one day while at work (just a few stores down from me) and they dabbed a very bright white nail polish in the sights. I then applied the brightest paint from glowinc.com ($11). The white gives the perfect base for a brighter glow. In the daylight, the sights are bright with a very slight, almost invisible pale green. I am very happy with the application. I saw no reason to purchase night sights when I have laserlyte lasers on both xd's.
I have the rear laser light on my service model which I painted the white area of the sight. The XDSC has the compact on the rail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts