Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have close to 20 hand guns and my .40 XDM is the only one other than my cheap Llama that has a lot of play between the slide and frame.

Holding my XDM without a mag I can shake/rock it from side to side and you can see, hear, feel the slide shaking side to side.

I just never experience slide/frame fit this sloppy before. I'd say there is half to a full mm of play. The quality just doesn't fit considering I don't have this sloppiness in my other 9 mm XDM or XDSC.

Is this normal? Do I have a dud? Should I send it in?

·
Registered
580 Posts
When in doubt send it back.....THats the glory of purchasing an SA product THEY WILL BACK IT UP!!!!! Now that being said I dont gives two shits about fit as long as function is flawless.....I'm not in the business of tolerances and such but I can also say neither of mine have that kinda play.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a normal XD9SC and no play like you described. If I hold the grip firm in my hand I can feel a tiny, and I do mean tiny, amount of play in the slide. Feels normal to me. Very firm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a normal XD9SC and no play like you described. If I hold the grip firm in my hand I can feel a tiny, and I do mean tiny, amount of play in the slide. Feels normal to me. Very firm.
Hi,that very tiny amount of play, does it occur when there's no mag in the well? mine does it too, but it should disappear once you put the mag in.:)

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
They all have play, the XD is a combat type pistol not a "Fitted" target one. If the slide was too tight on the frame you can then get wear on the rear polymer frame rails. The only way to tighten the slide to frame is by beefing up the locking block rails and fitting them. But when you shoot the polymer frame flexes so that defeats some of the fitting anyway.

Does the pistol work and how accurate do you want it, all of my XD and HS2000`s are probably better shooters than I am. the only guns that I know that are guaranteed to shoot one inch groups cost more than a grand and need a certain ammo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,that very tiny amount of play, does it occur when there's no mag in the well? mine does it too, but it should disappear once you put the mag in.:)
Yes, it pretty much disappears. A minuscule amount remains. Too tight and it could not slide. Mine feels totally normal to me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They all have play, the XD is a combat type pistol not a "Fitted" target one. If the slide was too tight on the frame you can then get wear on the rear polymer frame rails. The only way to tighten the slide to frame is by beefing up the locking block rails and fitting them. But when you shoot the polymer frame flexes so that defeats some of the fitting anyway.

Does the pistol work and how accurate do you want it, all of my XD and HS2000`s are probably better shooters than I am. the only guns that I know that are guaranteed to shoot one inch groups cost more than a grand and need a certain ammo.
Agreed

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Only important fit in an XD is the slide and barrel when in battery. That slide/frame slop is there to allow grit to work itself out of the system. My Dan Wesson CBOB is as tight as can be, I love it but wouldn't trust it in a dirty environment. Don't know how in the world a mag would make any actual rather than perceived difference.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Only important fit in an XD is the slide and barrel when in battery. That slide/frame slop is there to allow grit to work itself out of the system.
exactly what I was thinking when read this thread. Slop from slide to frame does not have an effect on accuracy since the sights are on slide. As long as barrel lockup in slide is good, that top half will point where you aim
Don't know how in the world a mag would make any actual rather than perceived difference.
suppose because mag spring pushes top round up against bottom of slide

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
My xd Is pretty tight and it was assembled in 02. My glock is as loose as a mil spec 1911 and it's too accurate.

If it worries you that much SA will confirm its ok or will fix it. The have some of the best CS period of anyone out there.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
After 1500 rounds mine has a little bit of play, but nothing that affects functionality or accuracy. It's not really that noticeable for me.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
As mentioned. I think some "slop" is good! As long as ya got a good tight lockup.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Only important fit in an XD is the slide and barrel when in battery. That slide/frame slop is there to allow grit to work itself out of the system. My Dan Wesson CBOB is as tight as can be, I love it but wouldn't trust it in a dirty environment. Don't know how in the world a mag would make any actual rather than perceived difference.
What i meant was a LOADED mag! Seems to dissipate that tiny play whenever it's in.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
What i meant was a LOADED mag! Seems to dissipate that tiny play whenever it's in.
Loaded mag won't do anything to reduce the slop, as I said it is a PERCEIVED reduction just because the slide is harder to move around with some upward pressure on the stripper.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
exactly what I was thinking when read this thread. Slop from slide to frame does not have an effect on accuracy since the sights are on slide. As long as barrel lockup in slide is good, that top half will point where you aimsuppose because mag spring pushes top round up against bottom of slide
Didn't read this post first, sorry.

Yeah as long as the trigger pull doesn't move the slide around, the barrel lock-up is all you need to be tight.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
My slide fits tight. A loose slide is a non-issue. Next, please.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts