Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum for a while and finally decided to register, as I just received my first xd9 for an early xmas present :)

I completed the CCW class last year, and have finally decided to start to conceal this xd9sc. I had worn on some occasions my 1911, but that tends to print.. just a little. :?

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a quick access, comfortable holster, which shows little print when I bend over or move quickly? I'm not much for concealing a weapon over my "goods". It would hury my belly when sitting down anyhow. :D

Thanks for all the great tip's I've received on this site! Can't wait to let you all know how my first experience is with the xd. I have become acustomed to my 1911 over the years, and there is bound to be a big difference.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Ya do what I do, Nick...Ya buy a Kel-Tec P-32 and stick it in your pocket!...Problem solved.

And by the way...Welcome to the forum... :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good LEO friend of mine carries that same Kel-Tec, and made a pocket holster for the pistol + 1 mag, from molding leather. He wears his cell phone on his belt, and his wallet and pistol in his pockets.

The problem with me and a pocket gun however, is that I keep my front pockets filled with my wallet, a BIG (treo 650) cell phone, keys, a usb thumbdrive etc. Since I'm a big boy, I wear baggier jeans for a more comfortable fit. I don't think I would be comfortable, or would feel responsible by carrying a "pocket gun" in my rear pocket, because it's too easy for even the inexperienced pick-pocketer to take without the person carrying it knowing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey, three oclock strong side with a clip-draw. the sub disappears well, is accessible, and is whole lot more comforting than a p3at. I have one, am a ktog member, love it, have carried it near and far, but made myself get used to the sub, and am thrilled with the decision. A gun that one likes to practice with in a caliber that will (ok, no caliber discussion here) do the job does well to silence those nagging doubts about the 380 cartridge and the occassional malfunction. And hey, who wants to spend a ton of time training with the p3at that kicks like a mule?
the clipdraw is the best CCW decision I've made. Adds 0 to the thickness, is secure, and can double as a money clip in a pinch (kidding).
Good luck, and enjoy. you've picked a great gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aaroncstevens said:
hey, three oclock strong side with a clip-draw. the sub disappears well, is accessible, and is whole lot more comforting than a p3at. I have one, am a ktog member, love it, have carried it near and far, but made myself get used to the sub, and am thrilled with the decision. A gun that one likes to practice with in a caliber that will (ok, no caliber discussion here) do the job does well to silence those nagging doubts about the 380 cartridge and the occassional malfunction. And hey, who wants to spend a ton of time training with the p3at that kicks like a mule?
the clipdraw is the best CCW decision I've made. Adds 0 to the thickness, is secure, and can double as a money clip in a pinch (kidding).
Good luck, and enjoy. you've picked a great gun.
Ahhh.. good thinking, I actually have the clipdraw on my 1911! It sure does get cold in the winter here though :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get the "Answer" holster from Tucker gun leather, a good belt and learn to bend with your knees and not at the waist, this will help with the printing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Milt Sparks Versa Max2

The VM2 is an incredible holster. It conceals better than any holster I've tried and is very comfortable to wear. The downside is that they are $100+ and can take months on back order.

In the past I've carried a K-T with a belt clip attached. At the time I enjoyed it since it was very light weight and a small overall package. I no longer feel secure with this type of setup.

Hopefully none of us will find ourselves in a true struggle with an attacker who is fighting to take our weapon. If that does happen, I will have a much better chance of retaining possession of my weapon with a quality VM2 IWB holster than I would with a clip on my belt. Just my opinion.

Good luck with your new XD!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I carry my service model in a Comp Tac CTAC strong side at 3 o'clock with maximum forward cant. It conceals incredibly well, and there's very little print even when bending over. The print gets worse as you move it to 3:30 and 4:00...but not bad at all at 3:00. The subbie should be even better. The only down side to a 3:00 position is that the concealment garment usually needs to be fairly closed up in front. If you're wearing an open button-down shirt to conceal, it'd be very easy for someone to spot the gun on your side if the shirt gets blown open even just a little. I wear zipped fleece sweaters & vests mostly, but sometimes an untucked button-down (buttoned) shirt will be fine too. Gonna be tougher in the warmer weather to get away with that holster position.

Good luck--there are lots of options out there. Keep in mind also that most people don't have a hint of a clue that anybody without a shield & uniform might be carrying a gun. People aren't gonna be looking for it. There are lots of great options out there--just gotta find one that fits you right. I'd recommend looking at the CTAC.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Being a little over the small size myself (6', 340 lbs and shrinking) I had the same question about my XD40 Service. A Don Hume Inside the Waistband (IWB) works well for me. Like you, I carry all sorts of stuff in my pockets and I wear pants that are a little too big for me. I also try to wear shirts that aren't skin tight (no one wants to see that). The IWB at about 4 oclock strongside does just fine...

At least I think it does. :)

DD

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another big boy here. I'm new to carry, but seem to do fine with one of the following, depending on what I'm wearing/weather demands:

XD40 Service in CTAC at either 3:00 or appendix
P3AT or P32 in front strongside pocket, in either a Hume or DeSantis Nemesis

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too suffer from a moderate case of Dunlap's Disease. I bought the Anser for my XD40 Service and had trouble cocealing to my liking. It didn't dawn on me until my 40 stuck out like a tail that regular sized guys don't usually wear their pant's under the gut as I do.

So, I sold the service, use the Anser with an xdsub9 and try to keep my pants pulled up. :oops:

Bending with the knees helps too.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm not small and I carry IWB at 3 o'clock and have no issues. One of my buddies is a bit bigger than me and carries a G22 OWB at about 4 o'clock with no issues either. By a bit bigger, I mean 350ish. That or he'll carry in one of those fanny pack holster things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm a fairly large guy 6'4" about 305 lbs, I just carry with a belt holster and a vest/jacket. Nobody ever notices and there are always going to be some compromises carrying concealed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am 5'11" and 250lbs. I find it very easy to conceal anything. I have carried 3 decent sized handguns with casual clothing before and I could easily do more with all the right rigs. I will usually carry a xd357 at 3 oclock strong side iwb.

when I first started trying to conceal I was nervouse and didnt think I could easily do it but after trial and error at the house I found ways to carry and figured out how to present myself when packing and what compromises to make. A lot of it is being self conscious that you are printing just becuase you are aware of it being on you.

My own family cant even tell when or were it is anymore without patting me down so its like I dont even have one unless they ask me which is always a yes. Now they just ask me how many. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts