Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, I apologize for not posting pics yet, but I have a simple question Id like some advice on regarding my new Doublestar rifle... I want to break it in correctly and I want it to last... Is there any extensive cleaning I should do to the rifle before firing about 40 rounds through it? Ive heard how people will actually shoot one or two rounds, clean, and repeat.. Is that recommended? The barrel is a non-chromed lined hbar. Best to take it apart first?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Honestly shooting a round or two then cleaning doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I would break her down, clean her good and run some rounds through her..I would do more then 40 if you get the chance.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Once again, I apologize for not posting pics yet, but I have a simple question Id like some advice on regarding my new Doublestar rifle... I want to break it in correctly and I want it to last... Is there any extensive cleaning I should do to the rifle before firing about 40 rounds through it? Ive heard how people will actually shoot one or two rounds, clean, and repeat.. Is that recommended? The barrel is a non-chromed lined hbar. Best to take it apart first?
I was told to do that crazy stuff to mine.. With that being said I did for about 50% of the recomended break in period before I picked up the owners manual and it said no break in required. READ the manual if it say break it in do it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Breaking in any barrel except for a specific bench-rest minute-of-fly's-eye is really pretty pointless. The only thing I can recommend is just don't let the barrel heat up to much until you have over 100 rounds through it. That gives the whole gun a chance to figure out what it's doing before you heat stress it. I mean, you don't have to, but it doesn't hurt. And it's a lot easier than cleaning every 5 rounds.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Make sure there's no grease or oil in the bore or chamber. Lube the bolt and carrier well. I prefer Mobil 1. Barrel break-in is pointless, especially with match barrels. However, according to Bushy, their chrome-lined barrels require around 200 rounds to properly polish the chrome.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Honestly shooting a round or two then cleaning doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I would break her down, clean her good and run some rounds through her..I would do more then 40 if you get the chance.
I've got ~22 years doing this stuff and can tell you with authority that breaking in a barrel is something you will want to do. It promotes quicker cleaning and better accuracy later on.

For 10 shots, shoot one, clean. Use a copper-cutting cleaner too. You don't have to clean it for 20 minutes or anything - just patch it out with a patch or two, run one lube patch through and one dry, then shoot again. This 10-shot procedure will take the better part of an hour.

Some folks take it to extremes - running 2 rounds/clean/lube 10 times, running 3 rounds/clean/lube 10 times, etc., all the way up to 10. I've never done this; it would probably take you a full day. I doubt there'd be much in the way of returns after the first 10 shots are done.

The primary goal here is to get the bullets to hammer down rough spots in the rifling where the button that is pressed through the bore (or the broach, if broach-cut) perhaps "chattered" under pressure - less-than-careful manufacturers use the cutting tool sometimes past it's ideal lifespan and some barrels (say, the last 5 or 10 or 30 of a production run) may go out the door with only marginal barrels. Those imperfections have a way of tearing at the copper of a jacketed high-velocity rifle bullet and leaving smears of the gilding metal caught in the "teeth" of the imperfections, kind of like a brush getting clogged up with dirt and becoming ineffective. Removing that copper before it gets stuck in the rough parts will allow the bullets to polish that area of the barrel more efficiently.

There are bore polishing kits available that have a mild abrasive ground into the bullets. You shoot them under reduced loads in sequential order and they polish the bore. I don't have personal experience with them but David Tubb uses them and he believes they empower him to kick ass at NRA High Power, which is what he does. It probably won't make a difference on a mid-grade AR like a Doublestar rifle.

All of this is conditional on whether or not your bore is chrome-lined. If chrome-lined, you break the barrel in using an almost polar-opposite procedure outlined by one of the other posters - knock out 200 rounds, then clean. Rifle will actually become more accurate after that. My Mega AR build with its low-buck Wilson-made DTI 1:9" chrome-lined barrel shoots well under a minute with my handloads now after putting 700 rounds downrange. When I first got it the rifle was a 2.5 MOA gun.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Put a little lube on the bolt carrier group and then load with ammo and fire away.

I love my Double Star AR!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts