Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard a popular SWAT instructor (who's name I wont mention) mention that the XDs in his classes seem to break the most. I'm curious as to how reliable your XDs have been. Particularly in 9mm. This applies to the XD not the XDm.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
It's been very reliable for me. The only problems I had were misfeeds, but that was due to the guiderod being crooked (negligent reassembly... :mad:). Other than that, it's been 100%.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine ran well for the first 6 months of the academy, save for a few jams due to crappy cheap lead-free frangible ammo. After that I started having frequent misfeeds and jams. Turns out, it was my magazines. The hit the deck so many times over the first six months that the feed lips were all bent out of shape. A pair of needlenose and about 5 minutes got them back into shape and shooting smoothly again. I plan on replacing the mags as soon as I have the spare dough...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mine is 5996 for 6000. All four failures were FTEs in the first 200 rounds.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Ive heard a popular SWAT instructor (who's name I wont mention) mention that the XDs in his classes seem to break the most. I'm curious as to how reliable your XDs have been. Particularly in 9mm. This applies to the XD not the XDm.
I've shot around a thousand rounds through my XD9 Service. I've had two FTEs: one was me limp-wristing while shooting weak hand (left), the other was a squib load that didn't have enough to juice to cycle the action. no problems that were the fault of the gun. he's probably talking about the striker retainer pin breaking:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/latest-hs2000-sa-xd-faq-stickies/61245-how-replace-xd-striker-retainer-pin.html

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Mine is so reliable that I'm bored with it. :neutral:

Never any FTE or missfire of any kind.

100% reliability, decent accuracy, ultimately boring to shoot after the first few thousand rounds.

Don't get me wrong I love my XD, and have no plans of replacing it as my main handgun or getting rid of it ever, but I'm finding myself looking for beat up old rifles in shops to fix up for excitement now instead of shooting my XD.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hope I don't jinx myself, but mine has never had a problem of any kind. I've only had it a couple of months, but it's coming up on 1500 rounds. I use the Winchester bullets $20 for 100 from Wal-Mart.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Mine is 100% with factory ammo. I have had a few FTE with a bad reload.

That instructor wasn't James Yeager was it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've got a XD-40 w/ over 8000 rounds through it, had about 10 FTF, but they were with my first batch of reloads(out of spec).

Other then that 100% reliable, no broken parts, just some finish wear.

I agree with ranburr, you always here how un-reliable the 1911's are, but yet it has a service life of close to 100yrs, it must be doing something right.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My XD9 SC has about 2000 rounds through it with one FTF. That was with a reload and the brass had a bulge and it wouldn't fit in the chamber. Ammo brand doesn't seem to matter, it shoots everything.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've never had a problem with my XD9, no FTF, no FTE, nothing. I've got 2,000 rounds in mine. I've got a buddy with over 10,000 rounds in his with no problems but maybe 10 FTE.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Had a limp wrist or two when I first shot it, but other than that I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Just a little dissapointed that I don't have a heavier firing pin spring to make use of all my dirt cheap IMI Uzi ammo.

^ To clarify. This IMI ammo is Israeli surplus that I bought in 1444 round cases for cheap... It fires fine in my 9mm AR, but the primers are too hard to fire in handguns. I loaded a few in my brother's M9 and it took several times pulling the trigger to make it go boom.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had a broken trigger spring after 15000 rounds. Been good otherwise. I replace guide rod spring around 5k.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Never a problem with almost 1000 rounds through mine since october.

·
Registered
356 Posts
2000+ rounds through mine with 100% reliability. Not one failure to speak of. Even when I did my first trigger job with that crappy sear...it still functioned perfect.

I also clean mine after every shoot, and after every 600 or so rounds I tear it comepletely down and clean it really good. No signs of any abnormal wear either...she's a well oiled machine. And a tack driver to boot!

J.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Over 2000 rounds through my 9sc, a handful of FTE due to a bad batch of reloads. The range confirmed the reloads were bad along with the 40's & 45's they had in stock. No problems at all with new ammo. A clean gun is a happy gun...

Jerbear

1 - 20 of 97 Posts