Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people were ripping on a young new member in another thread, so I thought I would start a new topic to see when all of you got your first gun.

My first gun was a Ruger 10/22. I was only 12 and and just aced the hunters safety class. My parents finally believed I was trustworthy enough for such a responsibility. If I remember the state laws of the state we lived in at the time it was against the law for them to let me roam the woods with a loaded gun. When I was 15 I saved up my money and purchased a Ruger MK I through the mail. My mother went and picked it up for me. Again it was probably not the best thing, but my good parents trusted me to hunt squirrels alone or with my brother. I am sure some where in those early teen years some laws were broken, but I was always safe and responsible.

Now in this day and age I realize that it would be foolish to recomend that people break state or federal laws and that is why some of our members got a little put off by our new member. The bottom line is we all started somewhere, we were all 19 and new at something. The guy in the other thread is young and obviously has been fed some lines about the upcoming war and how we are all going to be in a some broken down society. Hell when I was 19 I called up the WI State Police and asked them if I could get a carry permit?(no carry permits in WI) I don't think he is troll maybe a little confused, but not a troll.

Oh ya back to my question:

How old were you when you got your first handgun, and rifle???

·
Registered
11 Posts
First BB gun at 7

First Shotgun at 8

First .22 at 9

Started hunting and shooting skeet at 10

I went through the NRA hunters safety course every year as a cub/boyshout ....

·
Registered
281 Posts
9 or 10. Daisy 22 LR single shot rifle. Still have it. :D

First handgun.....22. Springfield 1911 Govt Loaded SS .45 ACP

·
Registered
59 Posts
bb gun unsupervised at 6...probably not the best decision!
20 gauge side by side at 12...
.22 Single Six at 12...
reloading shotgun shells at 13 or so.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
5 When I got my first .22. One of those tube loading 22s.
8 When I got my first airguns, one break barrel beeman in .177 and a pump Sheridan Pistol in .20.
18 When I got my first rifle.
21 When I got my first pistol.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I bought my first gun, my own gun, when I was 12, close to 50 years ago, until then I was allowed the use of the "family" guns.

That gun, a Winchester single shot .22 was in my parents' possession when I went into the Navy and I think they either counted on my dying or forgetting about it, and a couple of others, because they acted like they owned them when I came home. I never did get them back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
spring bb gun- 6; also fired the .22 Mag that I got at 8 this year
air pellet gun- 7
Ruger .22 Mag blackhawk- 8; stolen in a home break in shortly after
Ruger 10/22- 9
.410 Savage Arms Bolt Action- 11
Browning Buckmark Standard- 12
Chinese SKS- 15
XDSC9- 26

Man- what a good twenty years! :D

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
JimLongley said:
I bought my first gun, my own gun, when I was 12, close to 50 years ago, until then I was allowed the use of the "family" guns.

That gun, a Winchester single shot .22 was in my parents' possession when I went into the Navy and I think they either counted on my dying or forgetting about it, and a couple of others, because they acted like they owned them when I came home. I never did get them back.
If it's not too late put them into a really shitty old folks home. :twisted:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it sounds like most of us had guns early in our lives. I wonder how many of were breaking state and or federal laws when we went shooting by ourselves when we were only 12???

My point in all of this is I think some people were a little to hard on the kid in the other thread.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
BB-gun at age 7.
Shot muzzleloaders with Dad since I don't remember, but I think I was 10 years old when I won a Thompson Center .45 Hawkens as an aggregate prize in a shooting match (for under 16 yr olds).
I didn't hunt with a centerfire until I moved off to go to college, then bought a 12ga pump for pheasant.
No pistols until about 4 years ago, then it was downhill.
Now I want a .50BMG for no rational reason.

·
Registered
182 Posts
sturmruger said:
So it sounds like most of us had guns early in our lives. I wonder how many of were breaking state and or federal laws when we went shooting by ourselves when we were only 12???

My point in all of this is I think some people were a little to hard on the kid in the other thread.
My first guns were a Walther P22 and XD9SC purchased within the last 5 months at age 22.

Overall the contributor in the other thread opened himself up to a lot of criticism voluntarily. Being young does open you to harsh comments from some people, but he also offered lots of additional information to fuel the fire.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt" - Ben Franklin
-hype

1 - 20 of 110 Posts