Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do I need to detail strip and clean my gun? I field strip, clean and lub after every shoot.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I hadn't stripped mine in just over a year. Not shure if it's too long but when I finaly did it wasn't that bad. I usualy cleaned with #9 and made shure I used a Q-tip and an toothbrush to clean the frame after every shoot. Ajames would be the one to have a better answer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
MasonXD40 said:
How often do I need to detail strip and clean my gun? I field strip, clean and lub after every shoot.
I too would like to know this one. Is this neccessary?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I dont't think it needs to be detail stripped. However, I think it's a good idea to do so every once in awhile, just to keep an eye on the internals for wear, crud, etc... Although I think you should do it at least once, just to become more familiar with how the XD works. I also found it to be fun.

Maybe once a year? I sure AJames has a better answer.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well that's real tuff to answer, but I recommend after every several thousand. Some people may say not that often, but a lot of grime builds up in and around the firing pin safety especial if you spray it with oil. All it takes is the right piece of grit to find its way in there and you can have a serious problem.......your gum might not work when you need it. Also I am lazy so instead of cleaning it I just take them completely apart and dunk all of the parts and scrub them all out at the same time. I have seen plenty of xds that are clean on the out side but whats inside is scary the oil and residue can turn into a tar. The best thing about detail disassembly is the knowledge you will gain and learn how your pistol works. I am sure you like knowledge.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for all the responses. Sounds like I will take her apart soon just to get to know my way around better.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I field strip it every few range trips. since i started using MP-7 and Gunbutter i have cut my cleaning way down. just dont need to clean as often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts