Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two XD's, a 45 tactical and an xd45c. They both stay with a round chambered 99% of the time. How often should I change the striker spring, or should I just decopress the spring for a while? I cycle mags once a month because I used to have an issue with a 1911 that the mag springs would get weak after a year or so. I was wondering if this same concept could be applied to the striker spring? Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it doesnt degrade them to keep them compressed?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
So it doesn't degrade them to keep them compressed?
NOPE !!!

A properly designed spring, when not abused, can last a lifetime, and then some.

How often do you change the springs in your car :wink:

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
If your exercising your pistol on a regular basis. I wouldn't think so.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I got almost 7k rounds out of my factory 45C recoil assembly. Just started stopping short of battery every once in a while which was easily cured with a new assembly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a High Standard Model 106, that I bought new in 1973. I've put 20-25K rounds through it. It still has all the original springs, and works like it always has, ie, prefectly. Granted, it's a .22 LR, but springs are springs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
From what I understand, it's the use of springs that weakens them, not how you store them. The same applies to magazine springs. I've stored my mags fully loaded for months and they still seem strong as they were when I first got them.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yah I hear conflicting information on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts