Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YO!

I've got approximately 1200 rounds through my XD in the past month and am wondering how often you do a full strip down your XD's?

I've never stipped my XD down all the way and am considering doing so, but am pretty nervous about doing so.. Any advice for a rookie on stripping it down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My advice is, don't strip it down unless there is a reason to do it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Advice, read aJames thread on dis and re assembly, or overkil's photo thread regarding this ... Opinion, 10,000+ round through mine and have it has never appeared to need it, maybe I am wrong, but I have not seen the need as of yet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What product(s) would be safe to use to dunk the entire frame in so that you can clean the trigger assembly a bit w/o disassembling it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I read somewhere about a guy who bought a gallon of mineral spirits, a grill rack from a barbeque, an aquarium aerator, and a five gallon bucket. This was an alternative to ultra-sonic cleaning. He placed the rack in the bucket of mineral spirits and turned on the aerator. He put his gun on the rack near all the bubbles. I think he left it about 20 minutes and all the old fouling settled to the bottom of the bucket. He dried it with an air compressor and re-oiled it. He claimed it looked better than new. I think I read this over at AR15.com, rimfirecentral.com, or glocktalk.com. I'll see if I can find it. Sounds like it would work pretty well though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought some folks used simple green in this forum too but don't remember for sure. A quick search may turn it up. Good Luck

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Vtwin you will be surprised what you find if you do a deatil strip. A lot of crud gets up in the well where the firing pin safety is. Especially if you spray your oil on the slide. this crud could potentually make your firing pin stick, its easy to test for but thats just one example. Plus doing the detail strip will make you more familiar with your firearm. If you decide to do it and get stuck give me a call, I have talked plenty of people through the assembly over the phone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
one part that is very hard to put back together is the grip saftey and the little spring in it. the spring likes to pop out and fly around the room:) good thing i was able to find it the both times it happend to me

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have over 20,000 rounds fired in my XD 9MM SC.
I do a Detail strip about once every 2 months.
I do it because I shoot a lot and I am a little anal about keeping my machines clean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unless you're in a very muddy, salty, or dusty environment, you shouldn't have to detail strip your XD very often -- maybe once a year, if that.

If you are going to detail strip it, I'd suggest you get "Complete Springfield XD -- Disassembly and reassembly". It's 90 minutes long and is available in VHS cassette or on DVD. It's sold by www.GunVideo.com

·
Registered
416 Posts
There's no need to completely strip it at all. Get a can of whatever brand of nitro solvent that comes in a spray can & give the innards a good dose. Take a toothbrush and scrub everything that you can reach & spray it out again. Take a paper towel and wipe off what you can reach. Give the frame a shake or two & wipe again. Set aside to dry. Done!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I would strip it all the way down (minus the mag release and catch). First of all, gunk will build up in the firing pin assembly. Doing so also makes it easier to get some build up out for where the extractor is. Also, it quite interesting to see how the gun works. You will get a very good understanding of this by completely stripping it. And the saticfaction you feel after completely assembling it is great. I wouldn't worry about teh Compete XD DVD. If you use ajamesp51's website, you should be able to get through it. It can get frustrating at times though.

Oh yeah. The frame, I only 2 twice a year. I do the slide a 3 or 4 months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts