Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When loading say 9mm and .45 how often do you HAVE to trim your brass to shoot in semi autos...

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
just measure it and you will find out. but not often if at all. if it
it depends on the load and the gun. if you dont have calipers go get some you will need them

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have, in over 18,000 rds of reloading 40S&W never trimmed a case. I don't even have the equipment to trim pistol cases. The low pressures make case stretch very minimal and in most incidents the case will split long before it needs trim. Rifle cases need trimmed pistol cases rarely do.

mcb

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
trim it when it exceeds the maximum length and then on cut it to the recommended length (unless you are trying to make a wild cat cartridge)

+1 on calipers they are a must have for safe reloading. there is a reason every book gives you the measurements for the entire case

Calipers are cheap (well most of them are) i picked up a Frankford Arsenal set for under $20

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I only reload .45 so i cant speak on the other calibers. I have loaded some cases 3 or 4 times and never trimmed. I don't own the equiptment to do it either.

If you measure and the case is to long just toss it out. There are plenty of ranges to brass hunt. Usually some good deals on here as well.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've reloaded, .44 mag, .357 mag, .38, .40, 9mm, been reloading some of these for over twenty years and have never trimmed a case for a pistol round.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'd say this is probably my 4th time reloading the brass I have now and I've never trimmed it. I remember when I realized that my first time reading and asked the same thing. Man was I relieved when I read you didn't really have to trip pistol brass, cause that saves a TON of time. But yeah, don't worry about it. Just load them up!

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, ok, ok, ok..................I'm reloading again (as soon as the equipment arrives).

I guess, I just had a "senior moment".

I ordered a case trimmer for reloading 9mm.

Question: Is this a challenge or what?!!!

jp

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually there are some pistol calibers that may require periodic case trimming. If you reload a 357 sig, 9x25 Dillon or any other tapered cartridge you may need to trim the cases but usually not as often or as much as a rifle case.

I reload for 357 sig and 223 and will begin reloading the 10mm as well so that''s 2 out of 3 tapered cases. I'm also looking to pick up a 243 rifle and conversion barrels for my Glock 20 in 9X25 Dillon and if I do that will make 4 out of 5 with tapered cases.

What can I say, I like fast ammo...

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts