Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at an indoor range the other day with a friend of mine who shoots glocks. After we were done we were talking with the range employee, and they were both talking about how little they have to clean their glocks. I told them I clean mine after every range outing just to be sure. And the both commented, jokingly, that I have to because it's an XD.

I know they were joking for the most part, but are the XDs just as reliable when not cleaned every time?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I deep clean it after every outing and give it a warm-up before I go the next time. I only have one pistol. It's for plinking, carry and home defense. It has to stay in perfect order. And you know, even if I had more I would probably keep them as well maintained.

There are a couple polls under the archived threads that have a ton of responses to them. Most folks, if I recall, either dont clean or clean it every other day having been shooting or not.

I have found that if you over-lube it, it can spray you in the face with a mix of powder / oil. So just make it shine where it needs and clean on the rest.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Call me paranoid. I own an XD sub 40 cal. and I clean after every outing.
If you go to a competition you will see competitor cleaning their firearms after every round which will be 30 to 50 rounds of ammunition fired.
You cannot go wrong spending the time to clean you gun after each firing stint.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I clean my guns after every visit to the Range...Regardless of what kind of gun it is. I seen a Glock broke at the Range, the plastic Guide Rod was so warped it wouldnt stay mounted. I thought it was funny cause all the Glock guys say nothing will stop a Glock.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I keep my SC very clean because I carry it more. I only clean my Service about every 800-1000 rounds or so.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We all know what opinions are like...and yes, everybody has one!! The range e'ees have just fallen prey to glockanoia as I call it. They foolishly believe that because they use glocks that both they and their austrian companions are somehow invincible and otherwise the rules of firearms ownership, maintenance and safety (see the idiot DEA agent video for proof) do not apply to them. Sad...and nowhere near true.

While you would probably be fine not to clean your XD or a Gluck for a looong time (1000+ rounds or more), why would you do that? A thorough cleaning/lube of any handgun doesn't take all that long and you have the piece of mind that it is GTG when you need it, whether that be an afternoon at the range or in defense of your life (or someone else's...like a gluck owner!!!). ;)

I clean my pistols and rifles after each time they get used. Now, the degree of maintenance will vary greatly depending on how much they get used, but at a minimum, they get the barrel cleaned, the appropriate spots oiled, greased, lubed, etc., and a good wipe down.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I clean mine about once a week being that I shoot it every sunday at my range. and because I enjoy cleaning guns.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Besises making it even more reliable cleaning it after each range trip the cleaning process won't take that long...If you let it sit and build up, since most shooting is done with dirty "cheap" ammo it will only take that much longer to clean.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I don't get to shoot mine very much, so I probably just clean it every few months. I took the CCW class and a pistol marksmanship class back to back in May and didn't clean in between and it did fine. I think I went through about 500 rounds in the two days. I seems fairly reasonable that the parts that move against each other or have bullets sliding over them are somewhat self cleaning because of the rubbing action, but all that gunk has to go somewhere I guess.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
If I shoot, I clean. Doesn't matter what type of gun it is, if I've pulled the trigger and it's gone bang I always break it down and give it a cleaning. A few years back I didn't clean my HK for quite a while, did a minor stress test on it to see if it would work even dirty and it did fine but I finally broke down and gave her a really good spa treatment after that. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
As easy as it is to field strip and clean an XD, there's not much excuse for not cleaning it after every shooting.:cool:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Shoot 100-150 rounds every sunday at noon. At one I clean my XD while I watch football. Then I have a beer and continue watching football. It is a nice ritual.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Why risk premature barrell pitting, etc.? It takes 90 seconds total to strip an XD, blast it out with an aerosol cleaner/lube, wipe it down, and put it back together. This is what I do after EVERY range outing. Then, about once every two months I do a thorough 15 minute job. Contrary to Austrian belief, this would be good for glocks, too. I grew up learning that "the sun doesn't set on a dirty gun."

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've gone as long as 800+ rounds (Front Sight training) between cleanings with no issues.

I normally clean mine after every range trip. It is a mechanical device with moving parts.

As a side note, one of the instructors at Front Sight made it some sort of point to claim he hadn't cleaned his Glock in "years". Not sure that that's the type of message you give students, but it was apparently some sort of badge of honor.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Just can't help but clean the gun after each trip to the range. My dad was an ex-LEO and took particular care of his weapons and guess it rubbed off. Just can't NOT clean a gun after shooting it.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
If I shoot it, I clean it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The old adage, a clean gun is a reliable gun is true, it means a cleaned gun is a inspected gun. You get the satisfaction of knowing nothing is wrong with the gun when you need it, because you had to look it over pretty well to clean it. So I clean it after every shooting. My life depends on my gun being cleaned and inspected.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts