• 16-20

• 21-26

• 27-35

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much speaks for itself, also, what permits, or certificates do you have?

Going to the range doesnt count.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
that's kind of a low end poll there.

With the completion of the next class I am scheduled to take, I will be over 48 hrs of instruction, and I know there are many out there who have many more hrs than I do.

NRA marksmanship award
- Sharpshooter bar 7

ohio CCW permit

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I have a NC CCW permit. I've taken a couple of advanced defensive handgun classes and a class for night time tactics with handguns.

I'd estimate around 40+/- hours total.

bd

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I guess it depends, in part, on what specifically constitutes firearms training and whether it is through the course of this lifetime. I would imagine that anyone with any LE or Military experience should max out the 35 hours and that the Michigan Hunter Safety course that I took 32 years ago should count for something...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
what kind of training?

training for competition?

training for defense?

training you pay for/ or dont pay for?

i only have 24 hrs of defense training that i payed for... the rest was shared with me.

competition training... i do that everyday. dry fireing, drawing, transitions, shooting club matches, all of it is training.

past 6mo. 30min a day 23 days out of the month = 70 hrs + 2hrs each week of club match = 24 + once a month TXDPSA shoot = 5hrs... all added up is 99hrs, and that is low.

if you want a more accurate answer for your poll you will need to be a bit more spacific. :wink:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Formal training?

None, whatsoever, but Dad was a USMC MP that did 2 tours in Nam and qualified Epxpert with the M-1 and the M1911 and we learned from him, how to handle firearms and how to shoot. That should count for something.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just counting my formal military training it adds up to more than the total available in the poll, and I have had some sort of formal firearms training regularly sine I got out 35 years ago. If you then add in the informal trining, and the fact that I am an NRA Certified Instructor, you might need to add a bullet that counts in years.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, that is quite low. Some trainers have thousands of hours of training (I wonder what Chuck Taylor's hour count is??). Heck, just the DEA/FBI Agent training course alone is 125 hours of firearms training...

You say going to the range doesn't count, but really whenever you shoot in a non life-death situation you're more than likely training. Wether that be an IDPA/IPSC match or whatever...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
218 Posts
qualified expert on M16/M4, M203, M249, M240, M9

also lots of reflexive firing drills, short range marksmanship, all that fun stuff.

not sure exactly how many hours it comes out to....but its a lot.

now if i could just get my hands on a Mark 19 then i'd be really happy :mrgreen: i would so love to get qualified on that weapons system

·
Registered
198 Posts
now if i could just get my hands on a Mark 19 then i'd be really happy :mrgreen: i would so love to get qualified on that weapons system[/quote]

Para, I fired the Mark 19 during the first Gulf War,it is one hella auto-launcher.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Im constantly training whether it be at home dryfiring, doing reloads, draw and shoot, competition, etc..
The Army was good enough to give me 3 years active and another year reserve as an MP. Then there was my 12 hour CCW class...

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I spent six years in the Army, three in the 82nd Airborne...we pretty much lived in the field and on the range. In the early 80's we split our time between desert warfare training and MOUT (military operations in urbanized terrain). I think the MOUT was the most important to carrying and protecting myself and family today. The funny thing about military training is that the repetition makes it so excruciating during training, but I learned in Grenada...when the SHTF, it all comes to you without thought...muscle and memory take over.

I do , however, intend upon taking some additional training in the next year or so and I practice many different drills around the house and at the range.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
1of2 said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
To many hours of training can classify you as dangerous. Classify me as dangerous.
I would say 0 would count as dangerous. :D

I have had 16 hours training and have an AZ CCW permit.
So you can be dangerous because you know to much and you can be dangerous cause you know to little.

U.S. Army 1972-1975 and CCW.

I would say 0 would count as dangerous.
Yes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts