Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT Upon further investigation, it's not quite as bad as I had thought it was. But how much finger do most of you get on the trigger? What about comp shooters? Do they give more or less? And for what reason? Thanks.

I've been fondling my XD in anticipation of receiving the slide back from James. Thus being a new shooter, I've been practicing putting together my grip, and have noticed that I get alot of figure on the trigger.

I have small hands, but fairly long fingers, I'd say that the trigger falls close to the top joint of my index figure (so the top 3/4-1in.) , and this is when I'm in a normal grip. I'm not puposely holding it close or gripping up on it.

Is this a problem or something I should cure right away? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
you want a space between your trigger finger and the frame. for most people that means they press the trigger with the tip of their finger.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have big hands & long fingers. I generally try to put the center of the top pad of my finger on the trigger. Most important is to pull the trigger straight back toward your aiming eye.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I used to press the trigger with the very tip of my index finger. This resulted in beautiful tight groups which were always just to the right of the bulls eye. (Lefty) At least I was consistent! I have a buddy who is a local swat cop and competitive shooter who caught this mistake and fixed my trigger press. I now use the middle of the top pad on my index finger, right in between the first joint and the tip. It made a big difference.

Dry fire. A lot.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, middle on the pad on your first digit. I've got large hands and long fingers too. I couldn't force myself to adjust my finger position very well, so I added a rubber decal grip and then slipped a Hogue grip on top of that (at the suggestion of a few forum members). It added enough thickness to correct the problem. My XD fits perfectly now, and my trigger finger always goes instictively to the right place. I'd suggest to start with the Hogue, then add the decals if you need it.

BTW, I ordered from AJames. Awesome guy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
When shooting competitive rifle with trigger pull measured in ounces we were talk to use the first joint. Theory was less blood flow I believe. On such a light weight trigger it worked fine. I'm finding with the XD I had to move to the pad of my finger. When I used the first joint I couldn't control unwanted movement and tended to pull my shots around. My groups improved considerably with the change to the middle of the pad.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
For single action autos:
Pad of trigger finger, basically the center of the whorls on your print.

DA
For a DA revolver i place my interphalangeal joint on the trigger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an admission to make.

I ... am a trigger masher.

I think its just something that you work out with experience and practice. I dry fire at night with snapcaps against a target posted in a closet that backs up against the "utility closet" and an outside wall. At the range, i do at least two snap-cap laden magazines every time I go. Ive definitely noticed a decrease in anticipation and a much better group now that I have concentrated on mechanics. My sight picture acquisition has also gotten faster since I started doing dryfire drills.

Im putting in the work to fix my mechanics but it definitely isnt going away over night.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
SSGT. Moore , the NCOIC of the AMU Rifle team says, "You should have as much finger on the trigger as you find comfortable." He demonstrated that a lot of teh time, proper grip will dictate most of teh trigger finger position.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have big hands and long fingers. I used to shoot with my pad/top joint and was fine shooting my XD. I shot my buddies 3 1/2 barrel smith the other day and was all over the damn place. I started to use my finger tip/middle pad and was hitting bullseyes afterwards. I am now shooting the same way with my XD and couldn't be happier. :wink:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Depends on where my shots are hitting. If they are hitting a little left or right, I adjust accordingly to center up the hits

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
JUST THE TIP :lol:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Depends on the gun and the trigger. Normally just the middle of the first pad of the finger. On some stiff triggers like military AR triggers, the crease of the first joint helps power through the nasty pull and get off a good shot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts