Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to this, and I haven't even gotten my XD9 yet (on order from the custom shop:cool: ) But I'm pretty happy with my progress. I want to get good enough to participate in my ranges informal IDPA style shoot that they do once a week. Right now, after 2 months shooting, I'm working on speed so I can hit double taps, and I'm going to start working on coming out of the holster and reloads. The guy who I've been shooting with uses an XD9 for the shoots, but has been letting me use it on our practice shoots on Sundays. He decided he needed more time practicing with it, so I've been using his Kimber Ultra CDPII. Nice gun, and I shoot it well. Was shooting 1.5"-2" groups of five in about 2 seconds at 25 ft. I was very happy. We usually shoot between 150 and 200 rounds a week on Sunday, though I've been shooting a little less (100 rd this week) since I've been using the .45 Too much $$;-)
How much do you guys shoot, and what do you work on??

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'll go through 100-200 rounds depending on what kind of mood I'm in, and I work on accuracy & speed combined. I have a video that talks about "combat accuracy" and explains that you need to be accurate, but only to a point where you're getting the hits where they should be. If you're shooting 1" groups at 5 yards (which is usually about where I stand as I figure if I'm shooting at someone that's about where they'll be), you can probably shoot faster, even if you're groups open up. If you're shooting real fast but not getting accurate hits, you need to slow down. It's a fine line.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you get to practice coming out of the holster? I know many places don't allow it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Speaking of that. I need to see if the range I go to allows practicing out of the holster. Me and my friend usually shoot between 100 to 200 rounds through my XD45C every sunday. Getting kind of expensive however.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I like to practice real-time shooting. But you are right some places don't allow that. It can be dangerous. I'll go through 100-150 rounds on each 40. Then go to BLM land to practice speed shooting.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I like to practice real-time shooting. But you are right some places don't allow that. It can be dangerous. I'll go through 100-150 rounds on each 40. Then go to BLM land to practice speed shooting.
+1 for BLM land, i knock together a target stand, cut some BG's out of a huge roll of paper, spend a couple bucks on gas then go shoot em up. Not counting ammo it costs about 5bucks each time. one target stand usually lasts about 5 sessions before the 2x4 is completely annihilated, then i just reuse the base and cut a new one to hold my BG.

I practice basic marksmanship for about 50rds, then 5-7-10-15yd double taps, headshots, failure drills, etc for about 150-200rds.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My range doesn't allow drawing from a holster. So I work on accuracy at 15 and 25 yrds then my last few mags I work on double taps and head shots at 7 - 10 yrds. I try to go at least twice a month and shoot between 100-200 rds per session.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
My range (it is a club actually) allows us to practice draws, movement, etc. I often start with a CCW practice routine. Starting with CCW and no warm-up is obviously must more realistic than warming up first. After that I move to other defensive/movement drills and usually some steel shooting.

Remember your dry fire!...You can practice drawing and transitions at home if your range doesn't allow it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Some ranges won't let you draw from a holster unless you have been observed by the range officer and put on a list of approved people. Ask your range owner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:confused:Sounds crazy but I put small orange dots on stuff in house and when home alone roam around and draw on them, really helped me with my on target speed just make sure ammo is locked up and gun empty!
Before someone flips I live in rural area and no neighbors!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I shoot 100-200 rounds each session, lately I have been getting out every week. I practice good form and accuracy most of the time, occasionally double taps and some speed too. When the weather is nice enough I go to an outdoor range no one seems to know about(its always empty) and I practice drawing from IWB, kneeling, shooting around objects, etc. just to mix it up. On those days I usually shoot at least 200 rounds.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I burn up about 300-500 rounds per month. Half I provide and the other half from my department. Accuracy/speed/walking & shooting/unusual position shooting etc.

Sadly most folks would never be allowed to do the type of shooting I do, at public ranges they have access to. Now if you have access to private land that is suitable...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got luck in that my buddy, who is also an NRA instructor, is in good with a local range, and by association I've become part of the "inner circle". We get "private" time where we can shoot from the floor, out of the holster, moving... just have to watch the angles since it's indoors. We're working on a private outdoor range. Just helped out clearing some brush and trees a couple of weeks ago. Looks like we may get 150 yards out of it, and maybe 180 degrees.
I don't get to do much dry firing, since I'm still waiting for my XD.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I shoot about 200 rds a week. I usually start with double taps and switching between multiple targets. Then I shoot longer distance or weak hand or from a compromised position such as laying on my side. If there is no one else there I will practice my draw.

·
Registered
52 Posts
One thing I've been working on lately is shooting one-handed on both strong and weak sides. I'll also practice loading and mag changes on weak side which is humbling! I figure if I'm carrying a flashlight or having to open doors or move things or corral my kids, chances are good I'll only have one hand available for shooting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Iv been shooting 100 rounds per week of 9mm.. pretty cheap entertainment, we have one bona a fide "shooting range" but I live in the desert. so a shooting range isnt needed, holster draw is a non issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Between CQB training, Low light, Carbine CQB, etc and normal range shooting, between the AR and the XD, probably 300/every other week. Between ammo, class costs, gets a little spendy, but hey...

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I shoot 2 or 3 times a month at IDPA or USPSA matches. That about 200 rds per match or 400-600 rds per week. It's my practice in the winter. Here in alaska it's hard to practice outdoors when it below freezing. The matches are indoors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts