Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, do you guys who have both (service and tactical) see a difference at the range? I have a four day handgun course in several weeks and was thinking to just show up with my service. I'll pick up another XD if that extra inch does something (and it would be the nice to have a backup that feels the same).

·
Registered
875 Posts
I shoot my XDs in USPSA competitions and I have to say my tuned XD9 is a lot better shooter then my XD40. The .40 is a service model, and has a stock trigger, but I know I could out shoot a stock service with a stock tactical Xd.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
My 2 Xds are just about the same in the accuracy department. I really can't tell that much difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 9 in Service and Tactical. I have a close friend with a 40 in Service and Tactical. We BOTH like the Service guns better than the Tacticals.

I also had a Tactical in 40 and now have a Service in 40. Both shot about equally well, but I think the Tactical 40 hit closer to the sights than my Service 40 (a bit high). My Service 9 is MUCH MORE ACCURATE than my Tactical 9 with the stock barrel. I now have a BarSto in the Tactical 9, and it now shoots a little better than the Service 9, but the accuracy difference between the two now wouldn't matter for practical (defensive) purposes.

The accuracy of my Tactical 9 with the stock barrel was very poor grouping around 4" at 50'. The BarSto cut that down to well under 2" at the same distance for 10 shot groups from a rest.

My Tactical 9 had machine chatter marks in the factory barrel that I believe were the cause of the poor accuracy. I've seen other new XDs at the store with this same problem so now I know to look for that and suggest others do so as well.

My opinion is that unless you need the extra barrel length for extra velocity to make a power factor, you would be better off with a Service. The Tactical has one other (at least theoretical) advantage in that weapons mounted lights or lasers would be farther from the muzzle, and would be subjected to less blast. FWIW.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Another noteworthy difference is the 5" Tactical gives you a longer sight radius, which should make it a bit easier to shoot accurately. I have only a 9mm Tactical, so I can't offer any comparisons between the two, but I can tell you that for competition (which is all I use my XD for) I really like it.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I like shooting my 5" better than the 4". It just feels better to me and my accuarcy is better a longer distances. At CQ distances there is no difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I shoot my 5" xd-9 tactical better than my 4" service; in fact, the tactical is one of the most accurate 9's I own. I use the service for my ccw pistol, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do not own a 4" .40, but I have shot about 200 rounds through my friend's and I own the 5" .40. Personally, I have shot more accurately, on a consistant basis, with the 5". It is not an obvious difference, but it is noticible.

·
Registered
114 Posts
on the same thread but just a bit different: I'm considering buying a .45GAP XD, and would appreciate any input about service or tactical model for it. I will always have my XD9SC for primary carry(and i do shooot well with it); but am considering the best option for open carry for hunting, and defense in certain isolated, and hopefully, infrequent, situations

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check your state hunting laws.I dont know about your state but some states require over a 4 inch barrel to hunt with.You might need a 5 inch to carry hunting. BigA

H

·
0 Posts
I like how the Tactical points better than the service model. Then again, I like the weight forward too.
I'm just the opposite. I like the balance of the service model better. Also, I have 10x more rounds through the service cause I've had it longer than the tactical, so for me the service shoots better. I love them both though :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts