Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rounds do you run through before you determine what your primary round will be?

100 rounds?

I know when I was hunting (been out for a few years) I ended up shooting around 100 rounds total - mixed between 4-5 manufacturers - before I stuck with one make/model.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I choose by ballistics tests, then by reliability in my weapon, then by POA accuracy. I'll put AT LEAST 200 rounds through a gun before I'll carry it or the ammo.

·
Premium Member
127,440 Posts
At least a couple of boxes, i.e. 100 rounds.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Once you know the gun runs right, one full mg each of my carry mags at full speed. If it runs, it runs. Ammo failures usually occur sooner than later. The idea your psitol is any more reliable at 30, 50 or 200rds, well, it could still fail @ 31, 51 or 201rds.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
^ +1. I agree. Logic would suggest that if there's going to be a problem, it should show up sooner rather than later.

I think that the first and most important test - the "if it doesn't pass this test, don't pass GO" test, should be those first carry-mag fulls of ammo, dumped rapidly.

A good example for me would be my SR9c.

My SR9c just doesn't like the 115 gr. +P Cor-Bon DPX. Consistent failures-to-feed. I have 6 factory magazines for that pistol, and yes, this happens in all of them, regardless of whether if they're the full-sized 17-round mags or the shortened/"flush" 10-rounders. There were several stoppages within the first 10 rounds, and it didn't go away.

However, at the same time, there might also be issues that happen later in the time-line, and I think that this is worth considering.

For example, my Kahr PM9. As the gun gets dirtier from firing, my preferred 147 gr. Federal HST will start "hanging" the first round that's to be stripped from each magazine. Cycling/feeding is no problem with discharge of the pistol, but no matter if I power-stroke the slide or, as Kahr recommends, drop it via the slide-lock/release, on that first round out, it hangs for a half-beat before going home, and it happens progressively, as the feed ramp gets dirtier and dirtier. It doesn't happen with Speer's 147 gr. round.

Granted, it starts happening after the 50th round fired or-so - and it's very unlikely that, in a civilian application, we're likely to see that kind of round-count in a self-defense situation short of an all-out zombie apocalypse. :lol: But still, it's worth noting, I think, for the sake of due diligence, if nothing else.

So, like Keltyke said, I look at the ballistics tests. In my case, with 9mms, I go by Dr. Roberts' list.

And in doing so, I've simply worked my way through that list.

I ended up picking the Federal HST because both the data seemed most impressive, and because for me, the recoil impulse was perceptibly different from the 124 gr. +P Speer GDHP that I previously standardized to.

We'll see where my Kahr ends up, in terms of the rounds I feed it. I've polished the feed ramp, and we'll see if that helps.

For me, I want at least 100 flawless rounds. From there, I start gaining confidence in that particular ammo, and I work up to 500. If there's no problems then, I just stop counting. :)

Range fodder? Who cares. :) My failure rate with WWB 115 gr. 9x19 is somewhere on the order of 0.2 to 0.3%. I'm more than happy with that. :)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
away.

However, at the same time, there might also be issues that happen later in the time-line.

For example, my Kahr PM9. As the gun gets dirtier from firing, my preferred 147 gr. Federal HST will start "hanging" the first round that's to be stripped from each magazine. Cycling/feeding is no problem with discharge of the pistol, but no matter if I power-stroke the slide or, as Kahr recommends, drop it via the slide-lock/release, on that first round out, it hangs for a half-beat before going home, and it happens progressively, as the feed ramp gets dirtier and dirtier. It doesn't happen with Speer's 147 gr. round.
:)
The easy way to test dirty gun & ammo is get the gun dirty before testing. After 100rds of range ammo, test your carry ammo. You should be carrying a relatively clean gun. I doubt you would ever see more than a mag ro two in a gunfight. Again, ammo problems tend to show up early not late.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
^ Exactly. :) Please see my ninja-edit. :)

I like to go back to the range to re-visit my gun after a cleaning. To put 10 rounds or so through her, just to be sure that I didn't somehow goof-up the unthinkable (er....did I forget the guide-rod/recoil-spring? WTF?!!!).

Like you said, the gun's relatively clean. Not completely clean, but I know it's functional.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I plan to fire 50rds of HST-JHP 180gr in my 40. Im sure it will be fine after 2 mags but i want to make sure I can hit the target with this ammo as well.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I won't be carrying. Main reason is I live in Maryland and work in Delaware. 2nd reason is MD's CCW permit is almost impossible to get. I've had a few friends try to get one, and no such luck.

I would have an easier chance getting a CCW in Delaware if I lived there because of having to take cash deposits to the bank at times.

To get a permit to carry in MD you must meet one of the following criteria...

1. Retired police

2. A professional with threats (Pharmacists, Doctor, Lawyer)

3. Work sponsored (Guard, P.I., armored car, SPO)

4. Certtified Correctional Officer with documented threats

5. A civilian with recent threats to your life (must porovide either police reports attesting to the fact or notorized statements from witnesses

A good friend of mine who is in the Army Reserve's couldn't get a CCW for MD.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Get a part time job as a guard! Then quit after you get it! LOL

·
Registered
29,679 Posts
I usually fire up around a hundred or so...but that's usually a couple of magazines out of each of my carry mags. In a revolver, though...usually 3-4 cylinders worth to see how it shoots.

I also lean on Dr. Roberts' suggeestions...and for those who don't know what those are, read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Unfortunately I won't be carrying. Main reason is I live in Maryland and work in Delaware. 2nd reason is MD's CCW permit is almost impossible to get. I've had a few friends try to get one, and no such luck.

I would have an easier chance getting a CCW in Delaware if I lived there because of having to take cash deposits to the bank at times.

To get a permit to carry in MD you must meet one of the following criteria...

1. Retired police

2. A professional with threats (Pharmacists, Doctor, Lawyer)

3. Work sponsored (Guard, P.I., armored car, SPO)

4. Certtified Correctional Officer with documented threats

5. A civilian with recent threats to your life (must porovide either police reports attesting to the fact or notorized statements from witnesses

A good friend of mine who is in the Army Reserve's couldn't get a CCW for MD.
I always laugh at the BS requireemnts. Like a retiredcop or doctor or whatever has more of a right to protect themselves than johnq citizen. Pure BS. My life is worth 10 lawyers!:p

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always laugh at the BS requireemnts. Like a retiredcop or doctor or whatever has more of a right to protect themselves than johnq citizen. Pure BS. My life is worth 10 lawyers!:p

I agree 100%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts