Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i own a XDM9 since a couple of months and i want to change the trigger to PRP Ulitmate Match Target Trigger.
At the range I was told that I need to shoot at least 1000 rounds with it before I swap the trigger or someone else told me that I have to shoot with the stock trigger until I have better shooting results.

Why is that? Nobody could really explain it..

Thanks

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I think their advise is so you are sure you want upgrade. Ie be sure any issues you are having are in fact the gun. No tech reason I can think of.

Sounds like range guys repeating stuff they read on interwebz without reading the reasons.

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
There’s people that swap the triggers out on a brand new pistol, not having put a single round down range.

There’s other people that will run their stock trigger for the entire life of the pistol.

In short, if you want a new trigger, swap it. Not sure what their mindset is, besides thinking it might smooth out in the first 1k rounds...but that won’t help the mush of the stock XD trigger, or the reset, or the other things wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Maybe they were trying to convey this:

If you think a trigger upgrade will make up for lack of skill, experience and trigger control, it won't. You will still suck.

Putting 1,000 meaningful rounds (or more) downrange will heed better results on your skill than an upgraded trigger. If after all those rounds you feel like the trigger still sucks or is holding you back from your full potential, upgrade it. In my opinion, the stock triggers on XD are pretty good after a while but most people don't pull the trigger enough times to find out.

Whatever you decide, it will take some trigger time to get the results you seek.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
PRACTICE

PRACTICE

PRACTICE

After that

PRACTICE

PRACTICE

PRACTICE.

Upgrading your skills will improve your shooting results 10 fold over any thing you could upgrade on the weapon any weapon.

OH and PRACTICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,765 Posts
My XD trigger smoothed out nicely after about 500rds. Now I like it enough after 4K rounds that I don’t really need it to be “better”.

If you’re ambitious and careful, you can improve the stock trigger just by doing some internal polishing. You’ll also learn more about your gun vs just dropping in some parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I am the best in the shooting club with a .22 long rifle pistol. I switched to 9mm a couple of months ago. I love my HS XDM9 except the trigger.

·
Premium Member
15,567 Posts
It's kinda been said... Some think they want a better trigger to shoot better. Some think those that want nice trigger want it to shot better. Nonsense. Nothing about a nice trigger makes up for crappy shooter... But good triggers shoot better than crappy ones.

Shots will wear a trigger in... But you do that for free just polishing. You don't need to wait a few 1000 rounds. You can shoot all those rounds with a nice smooth trigger.

If you want less take up, shorter reset, no overtravel, or better break... Ya, get work done or buy the parts. Go shoot the 1000 rounds with the trigger you want. It's not rocket science.

But not sure what your purpose and what the Ultra match gives.... But what you DON'T want is a range toy/match trigger in a defensive pistol.... especially if you are a rookie.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
The XDm trigger sort of sucks, I changed mine early and if you don’t like the stock trigger change it when you feel like it.

Practicing and changing a crappy trigger isn’t an either or decision.

·
Premium Member
127,140 Posts
If you had a Hi-Point that number would be 3...maybe 5 rounds. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
How many licks to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
The incompetent rationale is you need to learn on a bad trigger to really learn how to shoot.

Reality is the harder the task the longer it takes to learn. The simpler the list of things you have to do the faster you excel at them. Basically a worse trigger slows your advancement.

That said would you be a better shot for shooting 1000 rounds on the stock? Of course, but would you be better than shooting those 1000 rounds on the upgraded trigger? No.

Often trigger placement changes with different triggers so even hand position may need to be adjusted.

Is there value in general to learning to handle bad triggers? Of course, the ability to shoot a variety of guns or teach to them is awesome, but that should come after your able to run a good trigger.

Reactions: HSXDM

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want less take up, shorter reset, no overtravel, or better break and less pull weight. Since the beginning i did not like the trigger. Its a lot different than my
.22 pistol trigger. Are there any good guides besides the PRP youtube video for the PRP Ulitmate Match Target Trigger /Stock swap?
I wanna do it myself, I enjoy taking the gun apart and together. Thanks for all your replies.

·
Premium Member
15,567 Posts
I don't know specific parts and kits. It's a matter of swapping parts. Easy enough. I would look at videos and see how and what to polish while you are in there. I polish everything thing I get as soon as I get it. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you polish all parts from the (clean, new) replacement kit that you put into your gun? with what?

·
Premium Member
15,567 Posts
you polish all parts from the (clean, new) replacement kit that you put into your gun? with what?
I haven't bought "kits". I don't have any strikers. I've had work done to change change triggers. But I polish what ever needs polishing. Anything that rubs. New or otherwise. It's pretty easy

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I want less take up, shorter reset, no overtravel, or better break and less pull weight. Since the beginning i did not like the trigger. Its a lot different than my
.22 pistol trigger. Are there any good guides besides the PRP youtube video for the PRP Ulitmate Match Target Trigger /Stock swap?
I wanna do it myself, I enjoy taking the gun apart and together. Thanks for all your replies.
Like has been mentioned the kit is basically a parts swap. What really brings it all together is the polishing of all the other
parts that contact one another. an example would be the trigger bar as it contacts the frame. One done with the other has my xd's
getting what I think your looking for. My take up and overtravel were reduced and my pull weight is right at 3 pounds.
I see you shoot .22 pistol. I did put a Tandemkross victory trigger in my 22/45 ruger and besides the aforementioned polishing I was able to set my pre-travel/ over-travel with the screws. wow what a difference. Hoped this helped in some way.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
PRACTICE

PRACTICE

PRACTICE

After that

PRACTICE

PRACTICE

PRACTICE.

Upgrading your skills will improve your shooting results 10 fold over any thing you could upgrade on the weapon any weapon.

OH and PRACTICE.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Putting 1,000 meaningful rounds (or more) downrange will heed better results on your skill than an upgraded trigger. If after all those rounds you feel like the trigger still sucks or is holding you back from your full potential, upgrade it. In my opinion, the stock triggers on XD are pretty good after a while but most people don't pull the trigger enough times to find out.
Not quite. Dry fire over live fire will provide better results. If the OP is fighting the trigger, fix it.
No amount of live fire will “break in” the trigger equal to a Gunsmith and replacement parts (for the XD(M)).

IShots will wear a trigger in... But you do that for free just polishing. You don't need to wait a few 1000 rounds. You can shoot all those rounds with a nice smooth trigger. If you want less take up, shorter reset, no overtravel, or better break... Ya, get work done or buy the parts. Go shoot the 1000 rounds with the trigger you want.
No, shots won’t wear a trigger in, not properly. You won't and don't want zero/no overtravel. It will upset the shot process and reduce reliability.
If you aren't happy with the trigger, Powder River makes the best trigger and what the service teams use. You'll also want to remove about 5-7 thousandths off the striker to ensure reset if you get chicken finger. The OEM striker is very good, but if you have a 9mm you can also buy a PRP in case you take off too much. Some other changes made by the AMU on the XDM.

Powder River Trigger Kit
Powder River Striker (remove 5 thousandths - 7 thousandths) modified so that chicken finger resets trigger
Dawson Front Site (Narrowed)
Stipple grips so they are even - single point
Weld up hood (length and width) & bottom flat pad - 5 or 10 thousandths
Increase recoil spring weight (adjust for load)

I want less take up, shorter reset, no overtravel, or better break and less pull weight. Since the beginning i did not like the trigger. Its a lot different than my .22 pistol trigger. Are there any good guides besides the PRP youtube video for the PRP Ulitmate Match Target Trigger /Stock swap?
Again, you don't want zero overtravel. The PRP will rectify many major issues, but it will never be "crisp". Not necessarily a bad thing as the lack of distinctive break makes long distance shots easier.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts