Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
7500 and still counting... don't shoot as much any more, due to the fact that ammo cost has gone up, but still a very reliable pistol.

P.s. Nothing ever replaced either. All factory original.

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
In 9mm, doubtfull that you will ever wear it out. 40S&W is a different story.

ranburr
just curious -- what would make a S&W 40 wear out faster than a 9mm. Excuse my ignorance but I would like to gather any info I can since i own a few 40's. Thanks:-?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
just curious -- what would make a S&W 40 wear out faster than a 9mm. Excuse my ignorance but I would like to gather any info I can since i own a few 40's. Thanks:-?
The 40 is a much higher pressure round. Most .40 caliber pistols are really 9mms with heavier springs. Thus the 40 caliber is harder on the gun than 9mm is. A handful of pistols were actually designed from the start to be .40. The most notable is the H&K USP.

ranburr

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 40 is a much higher pressure round. Most .40 caliber pistols are really 9mms with heavier springs. Thus the 40 caliber is harder on the gun than 9mm is. A handful of pistols were actually designed from the start to be .40. The most notable is the H&K USP.

ranburr
So you replace the spring. Sorry tanburr, but that sounds like hyperbole.

/tg

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts

ranburr
And the XDM. I hear what your theory. It sounds logical. Got any supporting data or reports? Other than the springs, what would the pressure wear out?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
They beat the frames to death over time. This is not limited to the XD series. This is any 9mm converted to .40, that includes Glocks.

ranburr

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was just mentioning in the thread I posted... My XD45 5" went through 5,300 rounds and some change, with zero jams and zero problems. I shot a lot of +Ps at least 15 or 20%, but I used a #22 Wolff spring for about half its lifetime. The bore still had a mirror shine to it when I got rid of it.

You would literally have to put somewhere upwards of 100,000 rounds through most (I say most because there ARE lemons out there) XDs before you could get major problems out of them. In my experiences seeing other XDs fail, most of the jams and misfeeds seem to come from dirty mags, or semi-wadcutters/various types of wide-mouth hollowpoints or handloads.

As for wearing one out... Good luck. It'll probably wear YOU out first. If you do manage to blow it up with factory ammo in another 50 years... hell, lifetime warranty! :cool:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Supposedly some XD rental at a range in Virginia has over 300,000 rounds through it with just spring replacements. I'm not sure if that's an urban legend or not but that's the most I've heard ;-)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry that you feel that way. You really need to get out and learn more. Go talk to any gunsmith.
Yeah, I work in this wacky world in a place called reality and work in my off time at a range that has a FT gun smith. I am a TN State Certified Carry Instructor and have instructed 1000's of students.

Yet, I have never heard/read your hyperbole.

Additionally, manufacturers for the last 30+ years have design goals in mind prior to ever putting a pencil to graph paper, let alone test mules. If anything they are going to design it for the worst-- and downsize for the others.

Sure there are going to be some small odd company that may do as you say, but none of the large firearms manufacturers are going to do this; and that would include, Glock, SA, SW, Berretta and SIG to name but a few.

If this theory of yours is so well know, that you should be able to bring the tech with multiple, credible links that prove your point.

Until then, it's hyperbole.

/tg

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Tim, you obviously should know better. The HS pistols were originally designed as 9mms for the Croatian military. There have been minor changes to the gun over the yrs. But, it is still essentially the same pistol that it was when it first came out as a 9mm. Most every company out there took existing 9mm designs and converted them to .40. The .40S&W caliber is much harder on any platform than the 9mm is. If your gunsmith doesn't know this, I would find a new smith.

ranburr

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tim, you obviously should know better. The HS pistols were originally designed as 9mms for the Croatian military. There have been minor changes to the gun over the yrs. But, it is still essentially the same pistol that it was when it first came out as a 9mm. Most every company out there took existing 9mm designs and converted them to .40. The .40S&W caliber is much harder on any platform than the 9mm is. If your gunsmith doesn't know this, I would find a new smith.

ranburr

You can regurgitate your view, but in short ; you are not able to bring the tech with multiple, credible links that prove your point.

/tg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts