Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
XDM 4.5" 9mm 19rd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using XD Talk for the past few months for a lot of good information and this is my first post. I am one of the 5 million new 2A owners this year for obvious reasons and had no reason to stock ammo prior to the major shortage. I have been to the range several times since purchasing in June and now have my CCW. Given the massive shortage and high prices, how many rounds should I keep in stock? I have a decent stock of FMJ's but have been a bit hesitant to go to the range in order to conserve them. I know I need to go to the range with frequency as a new shooter and my wife definitely needs additional range time.
  • Should I continue buying at these high prices to keep up my safety stock to be able to go to the range every couple months?
  • How many JHP's should I keep as self defense ammo? I pray that I never have to shoot the JHP's for obvious reasons so do I need to keep more than the 50 I have now and just spend my money on range FMJ's?
  • Should I have enough JHP's to keep all my spare magazines fully loaded or just my everyday carry spare mag?

·
15,912 Posts
Well, you are asking this question at the wrong time.

You don't need any, or there is never enough.

When ever this ends, and it will end, there will be a over supply as always. Buy as much now as you feel like spending... If there is any. Any real shortage that goes a year... Well, you should have enough FMJ to last a year of your shooting I suppose. JHP... Well, a couple, few hundred rounds isn't crazy, just expensive. Buy at the appropriate time... But when you really need them, they won't be around. So have them before that... Then practice every now and then, cycle through old stock, replenish, and make sure your gun reliably runs the diet...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I usually keep a years worth of range ammo on hand and buy it at a higher price point as infrequently as I can. SD Ammo I try to keep enough to fill all my mags for the SD guns at least twice.

That is just my numbers I feel comfortable with...others will laugh at me and say it isn't enough :)

Another thought though...before you start trusting your life to your gun with the SD ammo you are using...run as much of it as you can to make sure it works well...I try to put at least 200 non-malfunctioning rounds of the ammo I will be carrying through the gun.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
First, welcome!

Second, AmmoSeek may be your friend in times like these.
AmmoSeek

Third, I personally believe we will continue to see escalated prices and lack of inventory for a while. You may have to just make the best of it.

I do recommend running your preferred ammo through your pistol just to ensure the pistol 'eats' it as expected. Perhaps 10-20 rounds.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Not an expert here - just a guy with a few guns.

I go to the range every 2 or 3 months, where I used to go monthly. I used to shoot for 2 hours, practicing with each gun. I still shoot them all but only go for an hour. That time is divided between myself and wifey.

We practice a little point and shoot and a little bullseye target with the pistols. My AR has a reflex sight making target shooting super easy, so we both shoot that just for muscle memory purposes.

I just added an AR pistol so that'll be alternated with the rifle every other visit, after a few visits. I want to be sure we know this pistol well first.

All of my mags are kept full at all times, and I have a lot of mags for each gun. First thing I do when I get back from the range is wipe down and reload the empty mags. I'm always ready for a small war.

As for JHP, I only keep a few mags full for each gun, and I don't take that to the range. That's for home defense and it stays in each gun case ready to go. I shoot only FMJ at the range. I got a few thousand rounds of each caliber on sale last year so I can sit out the shortage for a while still.

For home defense if I run out of JHP (unlikely) I can use the FMJ.

Pretty sure if the SHTF here at home I'm able to turn most things into Swiss cheese, frequent practice or not. I don't have a CCL yet and may not do it. If I did CC more practice would probably be called for.

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
I usually only run a few pistol mags for the XDm at most when I bring it to the range. I shoot my 22lr pistol much more.

I would say you probably want more than 50jhp, because you should run through at least a couple mags worth after a few boxes of FMJ. The big thing with a new pistol is to shoot it enough to be confident of its functionality. After that has been reasonably proven, 50 rounds a range trip is a reasonable number (but less for me).

ps. I'm still shooting 3cent 22lr.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm running through 50 rounds a day right now... it's expensive as hell, but when I bought my XDm I made a commitment to become proficient with it or not buy it at all. This was one reason I went with the 10mm, I can still go to the range and buy 10mm if I didn't have too much already. So I have... enough... a couple hundred rounds of JHP, a lot more FMJ.

The ammo shortage won't be over for a few more months. All the new gun owners will keep buying, all the established gun owners will buy anything that is actually priced anywhere close to normal. After the inauguration things will calm down a bit, and by that point a lot of new gun owners will start losing interest. I'd say we get down to $0.40 a round for 9mm by March. My 10mm prediction is pretty much back to normal by then.

I'm hoping to get into reloading and was able to get dies for 10mm, a Lee Hand Loader and Auto Primer at the normal prices. People are still price-gouging with the 9mm dies. The thing is, you can't find primers anyway so no need to acquire the dies anyway... powder and bullets are still out there, but where the heck are all the primers?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I shoot around 300 round per quarterly range session. Yep, that once ever 3 months.

I keep 600 rounds of FMJ stored in an equipment shed on the property and replaces/refresh after each session. If I cannot replace my ammo easily, I will hold the remaining 300 rounds until replacing it is practical.

I maintain 100 rounds of JHP ammo in the residence

About once a year I will shoot up the 13 rounds of JHP in the gun, the 13 rounds in my extra mag and replace it with "fresh ammo". I do this out of an abundance of caution rather than any realistic necessity.

This is what I do.

good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also stack the boxes inside gallon zip-lock bags with a small paper envelope of Drierite desiccant. The Drierite is rechargeable, when it is spent you just save it up and bake it at 425F for 1 hour and put it back in the jar, use it again next time. If you live in a fairly dry climate this probably isn't necessary.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My quick answer is to have an inventory of 500 rounds of plinking ammo and no less than 50 rounds of JHPs (after you have already verified they will work with your pistol).

The longer answer? Yeah, cost-wise, it's a bad time to start shooting, and will not likely improve in the next 6-12 months. It was two years after the last ammo freak-out before prices were normal(ish). That said, since you're a relatively new shooter, it's a good time to consider paying for training. Learn good habits early. That will likely be a couple hundred bucks and will require several hundred rounds of FMJ. And of course, to keep getting better, you'll need to keep shooting, preferably at a higher volume than an experienced shooter who's simply looking to keep the spiderwebs off.

Also, having a .22LR pistol ain't a bad way to keep up the marksmanship while keeping the ammo costs down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok. So I am assuming that your recently purchased your firearm. I would suggest buy a box of different brands of Range/ SD ammo and various grains. Some pistols don’t like certain ammunition. So I would shoot a box or two that doesn’t have a malfunction before you stock up. You definitely don’t want to buy 500 rounds of a brand of ammo that your firearm doesn’t run well on.
Personally I keep 500 rounds of range ammo in stock along with 60 rounds of SD ammo. But everyone has their own preference to a comfortable amount.

·
Registered
XDM 4.5" 9mm 19rd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the multiple quick responses. I am glad to get so many different perspectives and the only wrong answer to my question is "you don't need any more ammo or range practice".

Regarding JHP's for SD, I know you all are not saying certain brands/types of 9mm are incompatible but is there a reason why I would need to rigorously test a certain round to make sure it works reliably? I would assume most people on this forum own a XD so wouldn't it be standard by model which brands/types are susceptible to failures in XD's? I am just not comprehending how my specific handgun would potentially have so much variation with certain rounds compared to other XD's.

I did shoot 1 round of the JHP so I have 49 of those now but these were what the gun store sold me with the XD so I loaded up the mags right away, discarding the packaging. I don't even know what brand they are and I think they are either 115 or 124 grain +P. I know that won't sound good to everyone but that's the case and it is hard to buy a good cache of the same JHP's when the retailers are limiting purchases to 3 boxes of 20.

I will try to keep my FMJ stock at least 400 on hand while training the next several months and just suck it up with the high cost but it is a necessary cost for a newbie. My father in law is a 30-year retired LEO so he has been my instructor over the years with his Glock and the past few months with my own XD. I will plan to sign up for some in-depth classes beginning of next year to get more training/perspectives.

·
Registered
XDM 4.5" 9mm 19rd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, regarding the .22LR's mentioned, I get the low cost per round but wouldn't there be a big reduction in the amount of recoil affecting the training compatibility to a 9mm for SD? Shooting a single round with accuracy is one thing but I am trying to get very proficient shooting 3-4 rounds very quickly with accuracy so controlling the recoil matters. Are there .22 handguns that would replicate the recoil in a full-size 9mm? I am interested in the concept but want to learn more.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
OP - take a look at the S&W M&P22 COMPACT.... that is a made in the USA .22lr version of their full size M&P line. Excellent choice for a plinker and to get the feel of the large guns. I also fondled the new Glock .22lr pistol... (no idea of model for that), and it is shaped like the larger caliber Glocks, but didn't feel quite right to me. May be fine... just not a glock guy. For the actual recoil, no way to actually replicate that without a full size round.

There is a Ruger 22/45 (I think) that is a good gun with similar feel to a full size .45 pistol, but not as close a feel as the M&P.22 is to that line.

For your original question on ammo...... IMO, buy a box when you can find it, JHP or self defense rounds, either way..... a box here, a box there..... while prices are inflated. Dry fire. Get a SIRT or similar laser trainer that can help with dryfire practice. Hit the range when you can. But, don't break the bank on stocking high and deep with the inflated prices right now.

The last madness several years ago, I refused to buy the stupid crazy high priced ammo, but would watch for sales and reasonable prices to have something to shoot if needed. Once the madness eased off, picked up some more at reasonable rates. Ended up with A LOT more .22lr that I expected..... and a good mix of self defense rounds and range fodder.

Right now, the only time I would suggest making any purchases at the crazy high prices, is if you have ZERO jhp self defense ammo and need some. I would prefer to have the higher priced, good quality ammo in my edc weapon than cheap fmj. Otherwise, look for ammo at whatever you can consider to be reasonable prices for your wallet, and get a box now and then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think in terms of one year cycle. How many rounds do I fire a year?, what is minimum number of rounds a year to remain proficient?, being two big questions. Then I ask how long will ammo shortage/high prices last. I figure ammo shortage will last maybe two years but like to plan on three. So I try to have three year supply based on what I have shot in years passed. Naturally you need money to buy and place to store. Good luck. Edsall make some decent storage shelves.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Regarding JHP's for SD, I know you all are not saying certain brands/types of 9mm are incompatible but is there a reason why I would need to rigorously test a certain round to make sure it works reliably? I would assume most people on this forum own a XD so wouldn't it be standard by model which brands/types are susceptible to failures in XD's? I am just not comprehending how my specific handgun would potentially have so much variation with certain rounds compared to other XD's.
While the XD are certainly reliable, and I never had any personal problems with my full-sized XD, XDM, or XD Mod.2 guns in regards to ammo, it is possible to have less-than-stellar examples leave the factory due to manufacturing flaws, tolerance stacking, poor QC, etc. No, it's not common with the XD line, but it is possible, and neither Springfield, nor the ammo manufacturer can guarantee absolute functionality. That leaves it up to the end user, and with something as critical as potential life saving capability, I highly recommend you verify your chosen loads before putting them into service. I think you chose a quality gun, so I'm not trying to cause any worries, but it's a good thing to feel sure about.
Also, regarding the .22LR's mentioned, I get the low cost per round but wouldn't there be a big reduction in the amount of recoil affecting the training compatibility to a 9mm for SD? Shooting a single round with accuracy is one thing but I am trying to get very proficient shooting 3-4 rounds very quickly with accuracy so controlling the recoil matters. Are there .22 handguns that would replicate the recoil in a full-size 9mm? I am interested in the concept but want to learn more.
I totally get what you're saying about the recoil and I don't think there's any way to make a .22 feel like a 9mm for training. That said, recoil management is only one aspect of good shooting. Trigger control is huge (possibly the biggest factor) and will reveal any flaws or skill deficiencies no matter what caliber you're shooting. Another thing to practice with a .22 is draw and presentation (if you don't have a holster, you can practice presenting starting with the gun at your side, pointing down. In a defensive encounter, you'll need the muscle memory to get your gun on target and get that first shot off accurately and fast. There's a lot of different things to cover and those are just a couple. A good trainer (and help from your in-law) will help you get there.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I would assume most people on this forum own a XD so wouldn't it be standard by model which brands/types are susceptible to failures in XD's? I am just not comprehending how my specific handgun would potentially have so much variation with certain rounds compared to other XD's
Don’t make the mistake of thinking what works in your friend’s gun is what will be good in yours. Remember the old saying about when you assume? Take the time to find out what cycles through your gun. There is no universal good round pistols have different tolerances for ammo.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Keep in stock as many rounds as your budget can handle and you have storage space for. Set a goal in number of rounds. It took me over two years to reach my goal when ammo was cheap. The main thing is to get started. 50 rounds of SD ammo is plenty.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts