Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds of self defense ammo should a person (civilian) use/test to make sure their handgun functions properly? 50? 100?

Anyone use Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point 230 Grain bullets in their XDm 45 for self defense? How do you like it? Do you recommend another ammunition? Why?

Thanks for the advice. :p

·
Registered
532 Posts
I use Speer Gold Dot in all my self defense pistols. Have never had a problem of any kind. That is the only hollow point round I have ever fired in my XDm .45. Most people seem to think you need to fire at least 200 rounds through any pistol that is to be used for a self-defense weapon. That's probably a good idea.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Most experts say 500 to 1000 but that's a lot of ammo. I'd do at least 3 mags worth.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
wow... 200 rounds of personal defense ammo? that is going to be expensive! but i guess you can't put a price on the peace of mind knowing your weapon will function properly when you need it too. i am looking for personal defense ammo right now since i recently got my gun so this thread helps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Call me crazy, stupid, naive, etc etc etc...but there's no chance in h3ll I'm putting anywhere near 200 rounds of HP thru my firearm just to "test" for hiccups. I've done one mag-full..if one mag off without a hitch, I'm satisfied. If there's a problem, I will test another mag. If I can run Blazer, WWB, and any assortment of other cheaper ammo without a snag, I'm going to risk the minuscule chance that my HP is going to cause a problem at the worst possible time.

I spent the extra money on a very RELIABLE gun for a reason...neither of my XDM's have rejected any brand ammo to date.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I did 50 rds of 165 gr HST but wanted to use the 180 gr HST-JHP as my carry so i went through 2 mags so I have enough to carry! I figured they are similar so no need to should all 50 and buy more! Havent had any issues with my range ammo which is either winchester white box or the cheap federal from wally world!

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
I run at least one (but prefer 2) full mag(s) out of every mag I plan on using for carry/SD; usually, that's around 100 rounds.

Call me crazy, stupid, naive, etc etc etc...but there's no chance in h3ll I'm putting anywhere near 200 rounds of HP thru my firearm just to "test" for hiccups. I've done one mag-full..if one mag off without a hitch, I'm satisfied. If there's a problem, I will test another mag. If I can run Blazer, WWB, and any assortment of other cheaper ammo without a snag, I'm going to risk the minuscule chance that my HP is going to cause a problem at the worst possible time.

I spent the extra money on a very RELIABLE gun for a reason...neither of my XDM's have rejected any brand ammo to date.
I'd say, as long as it's out of every mag you have, you're good; usually, an ammo feed issue is mag related...what you're doing more is verifying your magazine gets along with the ammo.

I will not, ever, carry a magazine that I haven't proofed with the ammo it's loaded with.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Cuda66 makes a great point. Always test each mag you plan on using for carry/SD. I always chuckle when I see a post where someone says they ran 5 rounds of their carry ammo through the gun to make sure its reliable.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Most experts say 500 to 1000 but that's a lot of ammo. I'd do at least 3 mags worth.
"Experts", yeah, the ones that have their ammo bought for them. Any malfuncitons are going to appear sooner than later. Like Agalindo cuda, I am good w/ one full mag from each possible carry mag AFTER the gun has been verified reliable w/ practice ammo. GoldDots are great, but there are few bad factory 45acp JHP loads.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
For me and a carry gun, in my case it's going to be my XDM 3.8 9MM I fired 200 rounds as quickly as I could and still stay on target before I considered carrying it and I was shooting Hornady XTP 124's with 4.2g of TG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts