Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the shooting world and bought a xd 9mm service model, and was wondering if theres a limit to how many rounds i should shoot in one sitting?Thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bring my Ruger P89 and my XD40SC wit me every trip to the range.. usually once a week. I try to get 100 out of both.

·
Registered
442 Posts
WaltherP99 said:
Shoot as many as ya want (your cash permitting of course)!
The only thing I have to say about this comment: When I first started shooting, I'd take 500-600 rounds with me for the XD9. I'd do fair and put lots of holes in paper, but still spent around $60 in ammo and $10 for the indoor range. A friend and I went to the range another day with my cousin. He used to teach CQB pistol courses. His lessons that day were invaluable. To learn from someone who can shoot very well is great. To learn from someone who shoots great and can tell you why and how is even better :D Ever since then, I haven't shot near as much ammo at the range. I'll still go with the same amount, but I'll save some for the next visit.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No limit on the gun shoot as much as you can afford and you can stand. I usually go with 200 to 300 rounds for my .40.

Reactions: G0DB0X

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ever since then, I haven't shot near as much ammo at the range. I'll still go with the same amount, but I'll save some for the next visit.
I only shoot 100 myself (50 in the XD and 50 in my 1911)! and ALWAYS have extra on hand for my next visit!!!

To learn from someone who can shoot very well is great. To learn from someone who shoots great and can tell you why and how is even better
IE: Brian Enos

This is a "you make the call" situation! If you wanna go and blow 300 rounds than more power to ya! Hell, shoot 1000 rounds if ya want, it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
WaltherP99 said:
Ever since then, I haven't shot near as much ammo at the range. I'll still go with the same amount, but I'll save some for the next visit.
I only shoot 100 myself (50 in the XD and 50 in my 1911)! and ALWAYS have extra on hand for my next visit!!!

To learn from someone who can shoot very well is great. To learn from someone who shoots great and can tell you why and how is even better
IE: Brian Enos

This is a "you make the call" situation! If you wanna go and blow 300 rounds than more power to ya! Hell, shoot 1000 rounds if ya want, it's up to you.
(Emphasis added)

OK.. LOL.. I will tell you how it wen't when I get back.

Raymond

·
Registered
27 Posts
i generally shoot about a brick. last trip was a bit over 700 rounds.

when i take something *other* than a 22, now... ;)

if i've brought a shotgun, generally 20 shells or less there. when the 357 goes, i might go through a box of 50 38s. if my friend brings her xd9, that gets about 100 rounds.

the bulk of my shooting is obviously 22lr. you get better faster (and better faster per dollar) than with bigger calibers, in my experience.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Shoot all you want, our last trip out, the wife and I shot 350 in 1/2 hour between the 2 of us. We were practicing double taps and rapid fire ON TARGET, not just wildly emptying magazines. When we go for an afternoon, its nothing to shoot 100 .44 magnums, 200 .45 ACP, 200-300 .40's, 200-300 9mm, 100-300 .22's and maybe 100-200 .223's and maybe 100 7.62x39's. Thank God for shoot all day for $5.00 public ranges. If we go to the trap range we may shoot as much as 200 shotgun shells.
Now on another note, we normaly have a USPSA match every weekend where we shoot 100-150 rounds each and then 50-60 every tuesday at our league shoot.

Reactions: Greenbean221

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have shot 800-1,000 rounds with my various .22 Rifles and pistols at the range.
When I go to practice double taps and defensive shooting I will fire 400-500 rounds in my Sig P220 .45ACP and My XD SC 9MM.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Do a Search for the 10,000 round torture test they did with the XD.
You could shoot 10,000 rounds in one session and not have anything to worry about...you would have to clean it after about 5,000 rounds or so.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Shooting just to be shooting and have fun is great, if that's what you want.

But to actually increase your skill, practice with a purpose. Given the choice between shooting 1000 rounds in one day versus shooting 250 rounds over 4 days, I'd choose the latter. In my experience, frequent practice is more valuable (to me at least) than just dumping a lot of lead downrange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I usually bring 2 to 3 pistols to the range, I shoot an average to 100-150 rounds through each one.. That's about all my budget can handle!!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
ken_mays said:
Shooting just to be shooting and have fun is great, if that's what you want.

But to actually increase your skill, practice with a purpose. Given the choice between shooting 1000 rounds in one day versus shooting 250 rounds over 4 days, I'd choose the latter. In my experience, frequent practice is more valuable (to me at least) than just dumping a lot of lead downrange.
I agree with this. If you are trying to practice and increase your skill level, something in the range of 200-300 per practice session is pretty reasonable. For most people, shooting more than that per session is simply creating empty brass--you get tired, lose concentration, etc. Now, there is nothing to say you can't have more than one practice session per day--that is--take some long breaks every 200 rounds or so. In addition, have a definite plan to your practice sessions, don't just go out to "practice". Tell yourself you're going to shoot 100 rounds "weak" side and 100 rounds "strong" side in one practice session. The next session, you'll practice shooting while moving forward and backward. Set goals for your sessions, either accuracy, or time goals, something along that line. You'll find that by doing this, your practice sessions will be more productive.

Of course, if you just want to go plinking, shoot as many as you want, and as many as you physically or finacially can. And have fun!!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Do a Search for the 10,000 round torture test they did with the XD.
You could shoot 10,000 rounds in one session and not have anything to worry about...you would have to clean it after about 5,000 rounds or so.
Were you referring to the 20,000 round "torture test" of a new XD9 Service in the latest issue of Handguns magazine?

It performed flawlessly even after freezing it in a block of ice, burying it in sand and burying it in mud!

The tester bought the gun from a random gun store and put 600 pounds of various brands of ammo throught it.

I wonder if anyone ever got repetetive stress syndrome of the trigger finger?

Tom

Reactions: G0DB0X
1 - 20 of 92 Posts