Registered
7,334 Posts
Well yesterday myself and a buddy
Went thru some 12ga .45.308 and 30-30
Couple hundred .45
25-12ga
20-308
20-30-30

Finished the build up on the Boatstop on my range.
Shot the 12 and hand guns from about 25yds.
Shot my 1911 swiss chambered in 308 and one of my Winchester 30-30s from further back around 75 yds. Took the pic before we hung some steel across the boatstop and set up the sodas melons and balloons we shot.

Fun day for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
My girlfriend got me a XDm 3.8 9mm fde for Christmas. When I shoot at home after work or on the weekends I have been doing between 150-200 each time. Have shot it a few times at work and let the fellas squeeze off a few as well and that was around 250 total. Overall I have run a little over a 1800 rounds since Christmas. Not a single problem love the gun and carry it everyday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a range close enough to me that I can go three or four times per week. So, each trip I shoot 1 mag of .22, 1 mag of 9mm, 1 mag of .45 and 1 cylinder of .38 special. This helps me make every shot count and prevents me actually getting less accurate from shooting longer than I can concentrate (insert your own joke here). It also keeps my cost down. Before this range opened, I went to one much further away and felt like I had to shoot a lot when I went to justify the trip. My shooting always deteriorated before I finished.
Last time I went to the range I only shot about 40 rounds of .22 LR and before that I only shot about 3 tubes and a half of 22 magnum

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Between 300 and 400 rounds between myself and the wife.

A couple of days ago .556 alone we shot 180 rounds. I didn't keep track of what we put through the other guns.

We've been doing 2 hour sessions lately, taking turns in the lane. In the last half hour we get a little wobbly from fatigue, but that may be the most important part - shooting under some duress.

I shot one of my best groups with the AR while shooting off the last 30 round magazine, in the last 10 minutes. I was happy to get a close look at that final group.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
As you guys shoot more, you'll get stronger: both your "shooting muscles" as well as your mental focus will strengthen, and you'll find that you'll be able to go longer physically as well as maintain better performance over that duration. :)
Part of the trouble with shooting off 300-400 rounds is the cost. We go about once a month. I hope that's enough to acquire "shooting muscles" (assuming it's a figurative term). We are buying ammo in bulk, so that helps.

I'd really like to go more often........

·
Registered
170 Posts
If possible go more often and shoot less if ammo/cost and or range time is an issue.
I have always been taught to end practice of any kind on a good note. In other words, shooting until you are tired only develops bad habits. I understand the idea of shooting under duress but, if that’s the case, do 15 squats quickly and then shoot. Muscle memory is learned through repetitive action, shooting fewer rounds per range visit more often will develops good form, trigger control and mental attitude towards shooting in general. Just my two cents worth, enjoy whatever time you get at the range no mater how small it may be.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I appreciate the advice, thanks. I'm not sure we've developed any habits yet. Seems like it takes a magazine or two just to get our bearings sometimes.

I insisted we have formal training before we started shooting anything (the AR especially since I had never handled one before). So we're off on a good footing. I see people at the range who clearly haven't taken a class and it's a bit scary really. Guns flipping up all over the place, and there was one I call "Mr. X thumbs" looking to get injured by a semi-auto pistol.

The RSO told me earlier this week about the woman who shot him in the temple. She shot the steel clamp that holds the cardboard thingy we clip the targets to. The bullet ricocheted off of that, then the back wall and smacked him in the head as he was walking by. Pretty wild...... I checked the clamp in my lane after that. It's been shot several times. I'm sure they all have been.

Getting to the range isn't just about cost though, it's about time. Thankfully I have a wife who enjoys it and I don't have to drag her there.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I took advantage of unseasonably warm weather (62) here yesterday and went to the range. Zeroed the new CT Laserguard I put on my dad’s EZ .380 and ran 250 rounds through it. Also put 200 through my XD Mod 2 4” .45.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I shoot about 300 rounds a week for 52 weeks is 15,600 rounds at roughly 0.40cents per round... that's $6240.00 a year in ammo!

I reload, and I generally don't spend that much on ammo every year. (Except this year... I'm a bit over $7k with preparation for a carbine/pistol class I'm taking next April)

Besides, it's not about quantity, it's about quality. I'd rather go out and shoot 50 quality, learnable shots rather than blast thru 300 just throwing lead down range.

I'd say the more important issue at hand is "Do you have a training plan when you go out shooting or are you just burning powder?"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I appreciate the advice, thanks. I'm not sure we've developed any habits yet. Seems like it takes a magazine or two just to get our bearings sometimes.

I insisted we have formal training before we started shooting anything (the AR especially since I had never handled one before). So we're off on a good footing. I see people at the range who clearly haven't taken a class and it's a bit scary really. Guns flipping up all over the place, and there was one I call "Mr. X thumbs" looking to get injured by a semi-auto pistol.

The RSO told me earlier this week about the woman who shot him in the temple. She shot the steel clamp that holds the cardboard thingy we clip the targets to. The bullet ricocheted off of that, then the back wall and smacked him in the head as he was walking by. Pretty wild...... I checked the clamp in my lane after that. It's been shot several times. I'm sure they all have been.

Getting to the range isn't just about cost though, it's about time. Thankfully I have a wife who enjoys it and I don't have to drag her there.
I've been to ranges that used steel clips an wondered about their safety. The closest range to me uses cardboard hanging down from the shuttle and small wooden clothes pins to hold the targets to the cardboard. Those cardboard pieces get replaced regularly.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've been to ranges that used steel clips an wondered about their safety. The closest range to me uses cardboard hanging down from the shuttle and small wooden clothes pins to hold the targets to the cardboard. Those cardboard pieces get replaced regularly.
Right, but there's a steel clamp on the shuttle holding the cardboard. No one should be shooting up there. Shooting the ceiling (and walls and floor) is frowned upon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I started shooting regularly last year.
We make Friday our shooting night, and have dinner on our way home.
She's done after a 50 round box of.38, and we were shooting some.22 as well.
So, 50 rounds per week.

Steve

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
kind of a wide open question, and a lot depends. Just at a range, or in a class, or training for something specific..... changes all the time.

If just at a range for a short time to get some trigger time, could be from 150 to 200 rounds max usually from whatever my ccw is that day. If I have longer session available, could be close to 500 rounds of .22lr, then 100 rounds or so for each handgun caliber, and 50 rounds of 12ga and upwards of 100 - 150 rounds of 5.56.

If at a class, the odds are that the round count is well over a thousand...... all depends.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts