Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious. If anyone can compare the part count with an HK45, Glock 21SF, M&P45, FNP45 and a SIG SP2022 I would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I suggest downloading the manuals for the pistols you listed and looking over their parts list. Then you can provide us a full report later on for our reading pleasure.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Great job of collecting the data! What conclusions have you reached as a result of knowing how many parts are used to build each pistol?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Conclusions? I wanted to base my next purchase decision of a .45ACP pistol partially on a part count because as a plastics and metals part designer, I can appreciate simplicity. Glocks have 38 parts: 41% fewer parts than an XD. I haven't reached any conclusions: it's just one aspect of my decision process and it is interesting to see how each manufacturer handles the same problem given the .45 acp cartridge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could not find schematics, expanded or exploded views of the FNP45, PX4 or M&P 45. I'd still like to take a look at these if any one has any ideas of where to find them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why do you need the XDm number if there is no .45 yet? They could change the count on you.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
The Glock does not have the grip safety or the cocked indicator which would add parts.

Going over to the Dark Side - The Springfield Armory XD-9 Tactical Pistol

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY
Nor does it have a loaded chamber indicator (3 parts) or a grip safety (2 parts) or the ability to break the gun down at the twist of a lever (depends on how you count).

Glocks also normally lack one sight or more because they fell off....okay that was gratuitous, sorry.

As far as using that as a reliability measure, you have to go further. You have to consider MOVING parts, and PROCESS CRITICAL parts.

In the end, both are so reliable, it won't matter.

·
Registered
463 Posts
A parts comparison will only work when comparing apples to apples. The handguns you listed vary in features. You would be better off going to a range that rents handguns and hopefully be able to try out the models of interest to you.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Nor does it (a Glock) have a loaded chamber indicator...
They don't :shock: ?

Since when :confused: ?

Directly from the Glock factory web site:

LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR
The user has always been able to read important parameters off his GLOCK pistol at a glance.
Trigger forward = safety activated.
Trigger pulled = safety deactivated.
The pistol also shows the user whether a cartridge is in the barrel or not. The extractor also serve as a loaded chamber indicator on all GLOCK pistols – and this entirely without additional components. Visual and palpable extractor edge

***I'm gonna' go out on a limb to give you the benefit of the doubt that you probably meant to say a Glock doesn't have a stiker indicator, not a loaded chamber indicator.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts