Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you reload for your XD and what is your favorite load.
Mine.

.40 S&W
180 gr Berry's plated
4.0 gr Tight group
WW small pistol primer

165 gr Berry's platted
4.6 gr Bullseye
WW small pistol primer

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on what you reload. 9mm not that much, .40 bit cheaper, 357 sig even cheaper. I did some math about 5 or 6 months ago and I was saving 4-7 bucks a box something like that I'll have to redo the numbers to be shure. It's safe if you follow the directions, you just have to make sure you're paying attention to what you doing. I just think it's fun. :)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
180gr West Coast. 3.2 gr Clays. OAL 1.125. About a 140 PF bunny fart load out of my Tac.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I reload for 25 different calibers, and especially for my XD 357 Sig Service Model. In fact, I just completed loading 9,000 rounds for it, which should hold me for the rest of the year. I also load for my XD SC 9mm and my wife's XD SC 9mm. I don't think any of my guns would know what to do with factory ammunition, except for the few rounds of factory we have in our carry guns.

Reloading is as safe as you are, and a very enjoyable hobby. If you're the type person who bleeds every time you pick up a hammer or saw, then don't reload, but if you can exercise a reasonable amount of caution and pay attention to detail, then by all means give it a try.

It's not a cheap hobby to either begin or feed. The more you reload, the more you want to, which means scrounging more brass, buying more powder, primers and bullets. For my XD's, I mostly feed them Berry's plated bullets, but for many of my other guns, I'll cast my own bullets, especially the handguns. For some of the obsolete calibers, like my 45-120 Sharps rifle, I cast the bullets out of necessity.

If you do decide to give reloading a try, buy good equipment. If you don't, you'll be replacing it before long, which just costs more money that could be spent on the above mentioned powder, primers and bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
281 Posts
Oh yea...definately cheaper to reload for the .357 SIG. I reload for all of my guns though.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Was loading 4.5 gr of W231 for 180 gr TC lead.

Now bought 165 gr. Rainier HP's and still working up a load with Clays.

·
Registered
12 Posts
9mm:

Case of your choice
Federal 100 SP primer
3.8grns. WST
147grn. Berry's RN
OAL - 1.160" (Same as WWWB)
940fps average from a 4" barrel

Used for all practice and competition except Open class IPSC.

.40S&W:

Case of your choice
Federal 100 SP primer
3.4grns. WST
200grn. Berry's RS
OAL - 1.135"
725fps average from a 4" barrel

Very soft, accurate, clean burning load. Used for everthing except pins/SD.

.40S&W:

Case of your choice
Federal 100 SP primer
8.5grns. AA#7
200grn. Berry's RS
OAL - 1.135"
950fps average from a 5" barrel

This is a great pin/SD load. Hot but manageable, I've used it to kill two deer at close range with a 200grn. HP bullet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just bought a Dillon XL650, so I'll be reloading soon. My friend, a fellow .40 S&W shooter, just has to get off his ass and buy the powder, primers, and bullets since I paid for all the equipment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot an XD40 tactical. I reload a Berry's 180 gr. plated FN bullet in WW cases, CCI 500 small primers and 4.5 grs of Bullseye. My OAL is 1.136", it shoots great and no FTF's or FTE's. The reason I reload is to get the most accuracy out of my pistols and rifles. Being able to make your own ammunition has it's own rewards, saving any $ is just an added bonus.

gv2shooter

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I reload a couple of rifle calibers and 2 pistol calibers. I sed to reload 9mm but its too cheap to buy these days and pretty accurate. Hope to be getting the added rquipment for .357 sig soon.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I plan on doing it eventually, once I'm able to pick up all the equipment. Next time I think about buying another gun, I need to take the money and buy reloading equipment. That darn .357 levergun is a siren, though. It keeps calling me away from the reloading presses...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Anyone using Alliant Red Dot in 40 S&W. I reload a lot of 12 gauge shotshells for sporting clays and primarly use Red Dot and I notice that there are 40 S&W loads for Red Dot. It would be convient to use if it performed OK.

mcb

·
Registered
168 Posts
40 so much cheaper to reload for i got it down to $2.20 for 100 rounds

1000 primers $14.00

one pound of clays powder $14.00 get about 2000 rounds out of one pound

brass free

cast lead free

3.5gr of clays
175gr swc

very accurate clean and low recoil

·
Registered
567 Posts
I load 165 grain Rainier HPs for my Sig 229 .40. Use 4.3 grains of Clays or 5 grains of 231. Both good range loads with Clays being a bit cleaner. For the XD-9, I load 4 grains of Red Dot with 115 grain Rainier RNs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do quite a bit of reloading. I started several years ago with a Lee Turret press, but graduated about a year ago to a Dillon RL550. It's not the fastest press, as it doesn't auto-index. That works to my advantage, however, as I'm able to check every round for a powder charge right before I index it. I can avoid squibs that way. I can usually load around 300 rds an hour, which is fast enough for my purposes. The load I use for my XD9 Sub Compact is 115 gr. Rainier plated RN, 4.0 grs Bullseye, Federal 100 primer. A decent load. I do 9mm for about $6.50/100.

·
Registered
17 Posts
reddot is something you really want to be carefull with in 40sw might just want to avoid. sensitive to minor changes in load and is fast burning.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I can't use lead at my range, must have jacketed. BTW, how well does Rainier shoot? I was thinking of using their 115 gr 9mm bullets and Win 231 for my practice loads. Got my Dillon RL 550B all set, just need to work up some loads.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts