Springfield XD Forum banner

How many new gun owners have you helped in 2020?

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 4 33.3%

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6+

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a surge in firearms and ammunition purchases in the past few months. I am personally seeing friends and acquaintances acquire a firearm, and I am helping them with suggestions on a first purchase, ammunition purchases, training, being responsible, and more.

What about you? I've added a simple poll and set the option so you may change your response later.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Voted 3 because that's all I could think of at the time. I guess I sorta helped another guy at the range once, but more just small talk/advice than anything. The other three were all coworkers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great question! (May have to steal it and use it on another form I’m a member of). Also, TapATalk doesn’t do “polls” so I’ll re-log back in via a web browser to answer your poll.

Right now (mid year), I’ll say only one. My BIL (older sister’s husband), who bought a Glock 17. Personally, I’m not a big Glock fan (I do own a G19), so I wished he had let me know he was going to buy a pistol beforehand. They bought it as a home defense gun (they don’t have carry permits); they’re pushing seventy.

I’ve helped him understand 9mm ammo and why the differences in price, etc. And I’ve sent them a few YouTube videos, primarily on safety (they do have grandkids over occasionally). And I’ve encouraged him to get some basic training and to practice. So I’ve done the best I can do for being a couple of states away.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
And I’ve sent them a few YouTube videos, primarily on safety
I will say, in the wake of the mass-buying of guns across the country, one good thing to come of it is almost every youtube gun-content creator I follow has posted a 'first-time buyer safety' type video. I actually really appreciated that from some of the bigger names that have been doing gun content for years, that they were trying to use their platform as a positive influence on newcomers to the gun world.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Agreed. YouTube may not be the best choice in ‘training/safety/how to’ videos but it sure beats nothing. And if somebody is ready and willing to learn, they can at least be exposed to some decent ideas and concepts. The biggest challenge is discerning SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) from those who just think they are. Fortunately, YouTube does host a fair number of true SMEs. So that makes “long distance” helping of a new gun owner (family member) a little easier.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
^ Wholeheartedly agreed with @MrBoxx and @busykngt .

As a part of my "helping hand," I try to also give the folks I help a list of good online resources, including YouTube videos and Channels. In trying to make their lives easy, I simply ask them for their email so that I can send them direct links (so they won't land on a different one by mistake), or if they'd like the list texted to them, instead. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
2 co-workers:

One who wanted to know if his late wife's revolver was OK for use. ( It was NOT :eek:)

and the other who is on the hunt for a home defense pistol – to shoot a few that I own (try before you buy)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I tend to shy away or outright refuse to help any first-time newbie buy any sort of firearm---IMHO they tend to present a bigger risk mostly to themselves and I don't want any mishaps or accidents they'd self-inflict on my conscious. Anyone who speaks to me of acquiring a firearm I have a single question I ask, their answer immediately showing if they're truly emotionally ready to own, train with and deploy a firearm when it would be necessary.

If we get into that "bargaining" stage of the conversation where they start adding their "but but but...." scenarios how they would rise to the occasion I relate a personal story where I hesitated a nano-second and lost my first wife. Despite being a former active duty USMC it was that microscopic point in time causing two people to lose their lives instead of just one. That revelation typically goes one direction or the other, no real middle ground. Most times thankfully these newbies do NOT arm themselves.

Another reason I don't get involved is I'm not qualified to train anyone. I will suggest IF they go ahead anyway to find and utilize proper and frequent training and practice, in simulated real-life scenarios where deploying a weapon might be necessary.

So my count is zero and will remain so----

·
Registered
378 Posts
I lived in NYC for 28 years. This year over a dozen people I grew up with left for a gun friendly state, and asked me for firearms recommendations. Far as I know, every single one of them save one rejected my recommendations. The only one who took my advice was a former cop in FL, who sold his off duty glock26 when he changed careers a couple years ago. He ended up getting a Sig p365, Vedder holster, and a 11.5" AR pistol.

I recommended everyone get a carry permit, a micro compact 9mm, and an AR pistol. If they weren't going to carry daily, I recommended just the AR pistol at home, and to avoid pistols completely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts