Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many magazines is enough? I currently have 4, but spend a lot of time at the range loading them, so what is the ideal number?

·
Registered
329 Posts
How many magazines is enough? I currently have 4, but spend a lot of time at the range loading them, so what is the ideal number?
XDm 9mm compact has a 14rd capacity, personally I feel if you happen to get yourself in a normal situation where you need that many rounds you're already pretty screwed. That said I have 5 mags and am pretty happy with that. If it ever gets to SHTF and you really need to get serious do you really think any number will be high enough?

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I have 6 that interchange between my 4" service and my sc. On range days, I usually only take half of those, sometimes only two. The next time, I take the other half to exercise the mags.

How many is enough?? That is all up to you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have clarified, this isn't for a fecal-matter-meets-the-oscillating-device thing, but for normal range use.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I only use two at the range. Think about it, more mags doesn't really decrease the amount of time you spend loading. I recently went and spent money on the UpLULA mag loader and that's a real time saver.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I have 10 for my XDM .45, 6 for my Remington 1911 and 6 for my SIG 556. The P22 has only one mag, but I will get about 4 more later. You can't ever have enough magazines!:twisted:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I suppose it would depend on what kind of training you are doing.

If you are just punching holes, you have plenty.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I suppose it would depend on what kind of training you are doing.

If you are just punching holes, you have plenty.
Agreed. I've had classes where six pistol mags wasn't enough but I rarely take more than 4 out of the bag when doing square range training.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I currently just have the stock 2, but I'm planning on a Galco Miami rig for winter conceal wear. That has two mag holders. Seems logical that I'd move up to 3 mags for that. Plus, I'd want an extra for rotation purposes. Guess like "4" seems like the perfect answer (for me).

That stupid owl from the Tootsie Roll Pop commercials was WRONG! :)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
where do you guys buy your mags? i went to cabellas and they didn't have the factory mags i was looking for so i bought the 20rnd pro mag for the hell of it but im still looking for some of the factory ones. im comfortable ordering online if there are recommended sites

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
For self-defense? The average gunfight/gun use lasts less than four seconds with three shots fired according to FBI stats...

For the range? can we ever have enough?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I buy mine from Springfield-Armory's online store. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I don't know enough to buy them elsewhere and feel good about it.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I just use my shorty 9 rounder, for carry and range. I load 5 at a time at the range. Ammo seems to last a wee bit longer that way.

·
Registered
425 Posts
where do you guys buy your mags? i went to cabellas and they didn't have the factory mags i was looking for so i bought the 20rnd pro mag for the hell of it but im still looking for some of the factory ones. im comfortable ordering online if there are recommended sites
Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA usually has pretty good prices, or, haven't checked World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells in a while.

If you can wait, watch for sales, I think I got my last 3 from midway (XDm.45 13rd.) for just over $20 each. Sign up and then use your cart like a wish list. When the time is right, and something has a great price place your order and pay one shipping charge for whatever is in your cart.

BTW how is the pro-mag 20rd?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I don't know how many is to many but I just ordered Qty. 25 of the XDM5019 19 rounders, and 6 each of the XDM5030 (13 rds) and XDM50191 (19 rds) for the Compact w/#1 sleeve. That should hold me over for awhile. I like to have 4-6 per gun, and now that I shot my first IPSC I realized you can't have to many. Mine come direct from SA.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA usually has pretty good prices, or, haven't checked World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells in a while.

If you can wait, watch for sales, I think I got my last 3 from midway (XDm.45 13rd.) for just over $20 each. Sign up and then use your cart like a wish list. When the time is right, and something has a great price place your order and pay one shipping charge for whatever is in your cart.

BTW how is the pro-mag 20rd?

ok cool thanks for the links. i haven't had a chance to shoot the 20rnder just yet (only bought it sat night) but it looks ridiculous in my sc haha.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz70/howardman3/randoms/promag.jpg

1 - 20 of 52 Posts