Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pistol is worthless without magazines. My XD will last forever, but the mags are less resilient. How many mags should I have for each of my pistols?

I'm looking for enough to last the lifetime of the gun, because you never know when full capacity mags will no longer be available.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Turn one over and look for the expiration date. Best if used before................ ;)

Just kidding. I don't know. I like to have at the least 6 for each pistol. I guess it would depend on how much you use them or plan on using them. I would think that 10 for most people would be more than enough, probably too many.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have 4 more on order for a total of 6...Good luck finding hi cap right now seems like they are backrodered everywhere. If you do find a place to get them let us know...;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
In today’s political environment with likelihood of another AWB pretty high, the short answer is as many as you can afford.

Rumor on the street is that unlike the last one, the next AWB will not have a sunset clause so I’d buy everything you want or think you are going to need now. Just like last time, high capacity magazines will be the first things to go.

I started preparing for the next AWB as soon as the last one sunset three years ago long before the current panic set in. The availability and cost are going to really start to get problematic from here on out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am a pessimist on the AWB issue. I don't think they'll be another one in the next couple of years. The Dems won in NC, PA, Indiana, Oregon, Colorado... IF they do another gun ban, they will lose in those states going forward. THey also have bigger fish to fry.

That said, I buy magazines pretty much every month (except now that hte madness has set in). I have 51 AR mags, 35 FAL mags, and 50 AK mags. I also have 25 XD 45 mags.

During the last ban I was carrying a glock and my glcok mag bodies (which are plastic) really started to look pretty bad. It was a good thing that it expired when it did...

If you use your gear hard, if you train with it (go to classes, drop it on floors, carry it out in the world, then I would say having an inventory of 10 working mags is my minimum. The rest you can store for that rainy day.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I currently have 4 and plan on getting up to 10...you also need tons of ammo bc those mags are useless without ammo...I pick up a box of Blazer everytime I go to wallyworld...easier to buy ammo one box at a time then to shell out a bunch of money to buy 1000 rds...

Chris

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shoot my XDs and my Ruger 22/45 far more than my other guns. I have over 40 XD-9 full cap mags, but only about 8 total for my 2 XD-45s.

My concern is that in 20 years, my XDs will be going stong, but my full cap mags will be worn out and no new ones will be available.

I've got a pile of AR and AK mags too, so I should be good there. Plus there are already millions of these floating around that will get grandfathered in to any new AWB.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have 4-7 mags per gun, with the amount of shooting I do these days, that should last me a really long time. I would think that 10 mags would last you a really really long time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the two that came with my XD45, but I'm planning to order at least 2 more for a total of 4. I'm going to buy an XD9 probably at the beginning of December, so I'll get the 2+2 deal and have 4 for that also. I think that'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Pretty sure you can still get mag springs during a ban... and since XD mag bodies are metal, not plastic, they'll last as long as you need if you properly care for them. You should be able to get replacement baseplates as well without a problem. So really, your magazines will last you forever.

That said, buy as many as you need. I don't like reloading mags during a range trip, so I have a ton.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I try to have at least 5 mags for each one. If I were going to use something in competition I'd want more.
That's where I'm at. And when I started shooting USPSA 5 did me just fine.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pistolgear has mag springs. I'll probably get some of these as well, as I think the springs are the part that will give out first.

They have spring kits for the pistols as well. I'll have to get some more of those, for the same reasons.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I loaded up on the 9mm mags when they were having the special 3 mag kit promotion. I shoot my 9mm most of the time due to ammo prices.

I would have bought more .40 and .45 kits, but they were hard to find. I did find a .45 kit in the Franklin Gun Shop, but they wanted $80 for it. :roll: Franklin (a Nashville suburb) is where a lot of the country music stars and execs live, so the gun shop's prices are always MSRP or more. But they do have a great selection.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had only the 2 10rd mags that came with my xd9 but I finally got a 16rd the other day. Id like to get more but really not a priority for me. I figure long term you can rebuild them when they wear out no big deal if they get banned.

Having fewer mags makes my shooting outings last a bit longer too, which I like when not at a range ha. Its nice to shoot a bit, then spend a few minutes reloading and talking to my shooting buddy. If I had 20 mags all loaded it would be too easy to run them out fast.

Ideally, mags and ammo would grow on trees and Id have bags full of both though.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess the joke is on me. I just spent $75 for 3 full cap .45 mags from CDNN.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I guess the joke is on me. I just spent $75 for 3 full cap .45 mags from CDNN.

Nah that's MSRP (IIRC), you're fine. Pistolgear generally has them for $20 each, but they're not in stock right now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts