Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been enjoying shooting my new XD-9 tactical at the range and have been concentrating on improving my groups and general accuracy. Originally I would "warm up" by shooting 100 rounds or so from my .22 Ruger Mark III at various distances--usually beginning at about 7 yards before moving out to 15 or more. Next I'd shoot a box or two with my XD before finally "warming down" by shooting my Ruger another 50 or so rounds at the end of my session. Being a newer shooter, I figured that this would help me concentrate on good technique with my .22 before transfering over to the bigger, heavier, less-accurate XD.

Then for my last few trips to the range, I decided to do the same "warm up," but instead I varied my regimen by shooting 2-4 magazines from my XD and then shooting a magazine from my .22 before shooting another few magazines from my XD. I was surprised to see my groups tighten up considerably on both pistols.

What do other XD shooters think of switching back and forth between different guns of different calibers as a training method? Does anybody else do this?

It could be just sheer volume of practice, but my accuracy has improved and I'm gonna keep up this little system of mine for a while to see how it pans out.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
For me that wouldn't work at all. I tend to retain the feeling of different pistols, rifles, shotguns, bicycles, cars, shoes......

If I shoot my S&W compact 9mm and then go to the XD tactical 9mm, the tactical feels like a desert eagle. When I shoot my Dan Wesson .22 revolver then switch to my Ruger 22/45, the Ruger feels top heavy and so on.......

It's just like when you were a kid and you traded bikes with your friend, it just feels different.

If your exercise of switching from .22 to 9mm to .45 or whatever works in your favor then stick with it. For me it's like driving a go-cart then jumping into a Ferrari. I see no value in the exercise.

There is a saying that goes something like, "beware the man with one gun, cause he can use it well"

Good luck, shoot safe. :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I try to remain efficient with all of my pistols and try to buy guns that have very close to the same drip angles. This is one reason I do not own Ruger .22's and Glocks. Normaly I will take guns of the same manufacture for a particular range trip. One time I will shoot my XD's only, the next trip I will shoot my Sig's only. Its great to become proficient with many different guns but you know what they say....
Be wary of the man that owns but one gun

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
For me an outing to the range is an all day event so I bring both of my pistols (XD and a Ruger SP101), a couple of .22 rifles, a couple of pellet guns and a lunch in an ice box. I shoot one gun until I get bored with it and then switch off. Usually I blow all my ammo fairly quickly for the XD and SP, so I spend the rest of the time shootin' .22's and pellets.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I bring everything but my shotgun. That includes my XDSC9, Beretta 92f 9mm, S&W 66 357mag, 60 .38cal and 15 .38cal revolvers, SKS, Ruger 10/22 rifle and Marlin 30-30 lever action.

I load them and trade off shooting them. I don't have any problem switching them and put all 500 rounds in the 10 ring everytime (I'm joking, I'm joking). Seriously, I really don't have any problem switching back and forth shooting decently with each of them.

Though leos don't seem have a good rep for practicing, I did practice with my weapons and was fortunate to have good instructors who instilled good shooting techniques from the get go. I had only shot a revolver once prior to being hired by my dept. The instructions I received were very ruditmentary.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I bring two to four guns, depending on my mood. Generally put 300 rounds through each before I leave. I try to stay proficient with everything I own.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I almost always start each range trip with a .22 to reaquire trigger control, sight alignment, breath control & follow through and to eliminate any chance of flinch due to recoil. Only after I have mastered the basics will I move to the other pistols. For me that is all shots inside a 4" bullseye @ 25 yards.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Like others said, it depends on the objective.

Now that its getting colder out, I'll not be as apt to fill the trunk up with cold pop, bologna sandwiches and guns and make it an all day affair.

Some days its just the XD, others its the 22s, others I bring out the pellet guns, it really just depends.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I usually bring 3 guns right now. The 22/45, Glock 26, and XD40.

I usually will start with the 22/45 and put about 100 rounds through it. Then switch to the XD 40 for 100 rounds (I'd love to shoot it more but the cheapers .40 I can find is still almost $10 for 50 and wal-mart isnt' stockign ammo in this area right now), and then I'll put 300-400 through the Glock 26. If I'm still wanting to shoot, then I move back to the 22/45. I'm usually never short on .22lr.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
ampleworks said:
Like others said, it depends on the objective.

Now that its getting colder out, I'll not be as apt to fill the trunk up with cold pop, bologna sandwiches and guns and make it an all day affair.

Some days its just the XD, others its the 22s, others I bring out the pellet guns, it really just depends.
Thats interesting. I don't shoot as much in the summer because its just too dang HOT! :oops:

"Winter" 65 degrees, now that is shooting weather

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'll bring an average of five pistols. Usually my two XD 40 Tacticals are always in my range bag, one primary and one backup.

There is usually a couple 1911s of some sort, and whatever else I feel like shooting that day. I don't generally take my .22s as a regular thing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i normally take 3 guns.

my 12 gauge...either the mossberg, or benelli,

my ak

my pistol

and i shoot them in that order. i get all the boom i can take with the shotguns going first. this also helps me rediscover a GOOD aggressive stance. once done, i begin some combat drills, moving/shooting/reloading. i do some buck/slug switching drills. 100-200 rounds depending.

then i take the AK out, and start doing some drills with it. changing mags, moving forward, backwards, and at angles. controlled pairs, double taps, flash sights, etc. some army advanced marksmanship stuff with it. 200-500 rounds depending.

then i get to the pistol. and i do a modified course of what i did with my AK. 300-500 rounds depending.

then...(here come all those "dependings") i do some transition drills from shotgun/ak down. and from pistol up.

its a lot...its FUN...and its training. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts