Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done reading the thread "Anyone ever hear of this many XD`s breaking in one location?" and was wondering on how much I have damaged my XD dry firing without caps maybe 50 times before reading it was not suggested...I did it when it was new and since fired around 500 rounds threw it....Should I just get the striker retainer pin and the punches just in case?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Dry fire until the striker roll pin breaks!!!! Well that's that I did.....lost count though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No such thing as too many dry fires, unless you're doing them wrong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When it breaks will you know immediately, or do you have to disassemble it to see it?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You can dry fire it too much. Anything past the one that breaks the pin is too much!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A snap cap is your friend. I dry fired a lot when I first got the XDM so I can get used to the trigger pull and fix the flinching. You don't want to dry fire a lot without something to stop the firing pin from going further into the chamber. This may damage the roll pin that stops it from going too far in. I don't know how many dry fires you need to do to break it, but given what I did, I probably did about 2,000 dry fires at least.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go ahead and change the pin. Everytime you clear the weapon or break it down to clean it. You have to dry fire it. They will add up.

When I changed my pin it came out in 2 peices. The top portion pushed through the bottom. And the bottom half jambed the firing pin. Got a little scary for awhile.

Didn't help my punch was a little worn. So spend the money and get a new set. Or take it to a gun smith. They should be able to do the pin in 2 minutes if there are no problems.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
My Xdm has 3-4000 rounds and 3x that number of dry fires with no snap cap. The pin still looks excellent. I have a theory about why.

1) some pin "break" early because the factory installed them with too much force and the pin bent on insertion. It is only held by the top and bottom so the middle can bend if pushed too hard. Those pins then continue to get worse with each fiing. The "cocked" indicator is pressed against the pin and the striker itself can hit the edges of the pin when it fires. An over excited smith or heavy handed owner can do the same damage too.

2) Some strikers have incorrect clearance. I've only looked at a couple, but when you look down the pin hole after removing the striker spring and manually move the striker forward to the fire position -- some will have a bit of the striker occlude the edge of the hole. Mine does NOT, it just barely reaches the edge of the hole. So it does not hammer the pin on dry firing. BTW, the snap cap keeps the striker from going full forward - so I see where they would benefit if you have the striker hitting the pin.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
14,000 rounds on the factory installed pin.
It's never been removed, and God only knows how many times the gun has been dry-fired.

Keep in mind that the gun will function normally with a broken pin, and it would only be a problem IF the pin were to fall out, which is highly unlikely.

If it bothers you, replace it ... You can spend a few dollars going after-market, or a few pennies at your local hardware store ... There's really nothing special about this pin.

It's a 3mm diameter pin, but sorry, I can't remember it's length ... It's been posted on XDTALK many times, though.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I replaced both my striker retainer pins with those from PRP. My XD9sc maybe had 4000 rounds through it at the time but the pin didn't show any signs of wear. One thing I did notice was how difficult it was to get the stock pin out and the new pin in on my XD9sc but with the XDc45, the stock pin popped right out and the new pin slide right in (yes, that's what she said).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks good advice...I've been using punch caps since I read that it was recommended....I just got paranoid when read that thread..I'll fix it when it breaks or when I get a metal grip saftey

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where is a good place to get snap caps and brand do you guys use, looks like they last for awhile and are reusable. Sorry for the dumb question but how long are they good for? and how many do you guys typically get? a magazine worth or so, so you arent constantly reloading during practice?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why would you need a whole magazine of snap caps? A snap cap stays in the chamber, therefore you only need one. You can make them yourself using a spent shell casing.

Where is a good place to get snap caps and brand do you guys use, looks like they last for awhile and are reusable. Sorry for the dumb question but how long are they good for? and how many do you guys typically get? a magazine worth or so, so you arent constantly reloading during practice?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Why would you need a whole magazine of snap caps? A snap cap stays in the chamber, therefore you only need one. You can make them yourself using a spent shell casing.
Sure you can make one yourself, but unless you have reloading equipment, you'll not get a bullet to stay in the end of it, and if you do, it will be a stupid thing to do, because it would be very easy to mistake a real bullet for the fake one.

Now if you only want an empty shell in the chamber, that's different ... But then you can't cycle the gun, and load a second round to continue practicing, and/or use for mis-fire drills.

And on top of that, the XD is not designed to have a round put in the chamber, and then have the slide closed ... It's very hard on the extractor, and damage will eventually occur to an item you can't run down to the store and buy.

JRob,
Brand isn't important, just get the correct caliber.
Example:

They can also be used during live fire to simulate a mis-fire situation.
The best way is to have a friend load one, or many into a magazine ... That way you won't know when to expect a click, rather than a bang, and will thus not be able to anticipate when you will need to manually cycle the gun.

Concerning how long they will last ... A long time.
Just remember to load it into the gun via the magazine ... That's the proper way.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You also have to dry fire once you've emptied your final magazine for the day and release the slide forward. Was thinking about this yesterday (and every time I break it down for cleaning) my dad always taught me dry firing was hard on your weapon, but there is no way around it sometimes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts