Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I recently found out you can have a CCW from states you don't live in. For example I have a Colorado CCW, but I can also apply and receive a Utah CCW which would add 3 more states, through reciprocity, that I could carry in. Apparently I can also apply for a Florida one too which would only add one more state that my Colorado permit doesn't have reciprocity.

I doubt that I will apply for the other states but it is interesting to know that I could and then add more states that I can carry in through reciprocity.

I understand that through this loop hole, Missouri folks could get a Utah CCW and then carry in Missouri which does CCW county by county and not all countys are issueing CCW permits yet. The Utah permit class is only 3 hours long compared to much longer classes in other states.

Oh the games we can play when there is no National CCW rules.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The original intention of non resident CCW permits was to allow people from out of state who make frequent businees trips to the state the ability to carry while in the state.

You may find out that if you have a run in with LEOs from a state that does not honor your resident permit they will give you a hard time about the non resident permit. Kind of like being stopped for speed ing in Ohio and you plates say Indiana, the car is registered in Tennessee and your Driver's license is from Michigan. In today's terrorist paranoid world all of this disparity of documents throws up a red flag.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
One of the guys at my plate league brought New Hampshire Non-Resident CCW applications to the league last night. Will have to think about it. Does not NH have a pretty good reciprocity list?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Most folks are getting the FL Non-Resident license, as it too has a lot of recipriocity.

I think there should be a national CCW permit, but that is me...

·
Registered
95 Posts
OLD SCHOOL +1

I read an article where a guy got his non-resident from Florida because it would work in every state that has CCW.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Agreed Oldschool, I am curently applying for my FL permit becuase it is honored in all the states that border MD-where I live. I travel to those states a great deal-usualy with large cash sums and I thought it an easier way to go then get a bunch of permits from those states, as well as I travel to fl to see relatives and such a few times a year, easy. Has anyone on the list ever had any probleams with a non-resident permit? Packing.org also shows that states that honor non-resident permits, they could flag you but legally you are in the right.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Old School +1

Whether or not a cop gives you a hassle, the law is the law and if you have a permit that is honored by that state, even if it's not from your state of residence, you are allowed to carry and the court should agree with you. Now whether or not it's worth the hassle is another question.

It's time for national concealed carry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MisFire said:
I read an article where a guy got his non-resident from Florida because it would work in every state that has CCW.
Looking at PACKING.ORG, I counted 26 states that will honor a FL non-res.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I am proud that the Commonwealth of Kentucky will honor any
and all CCWs, CCLs, CCDWs from any of the states, even without
reciprocity with that state.

Ed :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Dont you have to follow the CCW rules for that state that issues the license? I read that Florida wont allow you to carry at a sporting event or a place with a big crowd. To me that doesnt seem worth getting if i cant carry in the parking lot after a football or baseball game.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Edited got beat too it

Remeber to, every state is diffrent, many states say you can't carry where there are large assemblies, ie they don't want 100,000 people together all packing, becuase if something does go down it won't be pretty. Thats the key to carring in diffrent states they all have diffrent rules, before I will go on my next trip with my CCL I will check each states rules that I am going threw. For some people its not big deal as they only often go to one or two other states, but for those of us in the midatlantic we can go threw 5 states in 3 hours--lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
I live in MO and got a UT permit. Here you have to be 23, but only 21 in UT. That's the main reason I got mine from UT. Also it's cheaper, longer renewal time,renewals are cheaper and class was only 3 hrs instead of I think 10 hours plus actual shooting.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thats why i think this is the best gun forum around. you can state you think somthing is this way and its wrong. There is not flaming and you learn something in the process. Seems alot of other gun forums would flame more than they would educate you. Thanks alot guys. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is just weird. We really do need a National CCW of some kind. The rules are very different from state to state. But if you don't want Federal intanglements in the CCW I can understand having to put up with different rules for each state. Once all the states have some kind of CCW on the books we will see what happens.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A little devil's advocate if you will...

"How many CCLs do you need?"

Well, since I can't find any mention of any permit system in our bill 'o' rights, I'm gonna say ZERO.

And now back to reality:

On the surface, the national permit system seems like a good way to go, but it also seems like that system would be a big and easy target for the anti's to dominate.
One day you might have a permit that covers the whole of the U.S. and the next day your permit may be 100% useless, through the power of just a little legislation change.

I tend to agree with those who say Florida is the permit to have.
Pennsylvania is another good way to go. While the Pennsy permit doesn't offer as many reciprocating states, their permit is also costs less and requires the jumping of fewer hoops.

sab

[/b]

·
Registered
13 Posts
According to the Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed, KY's permit is accepted in 29 states. 2 of those are VT and Alaska which don't require a permit so that equals 27-Ohio which is whacked and I wouldn't feel safe carrying in still equals 26. Only problem with Kentucky's is you're required to be a resident for last 6 months to get a permit so it's not gonna work for out of staters.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Unfortunately, the odds of having a national carry law is slim. HR218, which was signed by Bush last year and made effective this past Jan 1, is a national carry for active and retired le. It took 10yrs just to get it out of committee for a vote due to the committe chairman, Sensenbrenner (sp) holding it up. He didn't think retired le should be allowed to carry and he wasn't to happy with the idea of active le carrying nationwide.

Now, if it was that difficult to obtain a national carry for those of us that are either active or retired le, you can imagine the obstacles "regular" civilians have to overcome. I wish all of you the best and hope it comes to pass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts