Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many 9mm rounds fit in a 10 rnd 40cal mag and how many fit in a HI Cap 40 cal mag.

Any feeding issues or drop issues??

The only way to get around the "hi cap" ban here in calif. is to use a 10 rnd larger cal. mag and stuff as many as you can in it with the smaller rnds. Law says here that the magazine can not be altered in any way..and the magazine must still function in the weapon that it was originally intended for.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone done this... is it reliable??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi cap nine holds 15 nines.

Hi cap 40 holds 12 40s.

The 40 magazine may need the feed lips adjusted to properly fee nines.

I agree with the above post DO NOT do this for a carry weapon. Any hint of unreliability for carry gun is dangerous (but you already know that).

·
Registered
416 Posts
mpholic said:
Hi cap nine holds 15 nines.

Hi cap 40 holds 12 40s.

The 40 magazine may need the feed lips adjusted to properly fee nines.

I agree with the above post DO NOT do this for a carry weapon. Any hint of unreliability for carry gun is dangerous (but you already know that).
I don't agree....How do you define "unreliability"? My .357 Sig (same as .40 mags except for baseplate) mags have been %100 percent reliable in my XD-9. At worst the slide will lock back on the 15th round instead of on empty. If it does squeezing the mag lips a few thousanth's tighter will fix it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 3 40 mags. that I run 9mm in, all three had to have the feed lips moved in a little.

Also have the sc 40 mag that i run 13 9mm in. this mag would not function at all untill the feed lips were moved in.

since then i have had zero problems.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys!! Great stuff........shhhh I heard there is a Prison Break tonight.... us Comnifornians are making a break for it!!! Who's got the plans??????

·
Registered
68 Posts
Blazer guy, are you sure this is legal? I have a subcompact 9 and I have one .40 mag that I use for rangework but I am reluctant to carry it because I am not looking for a state-paid vacation.

·
Registered
813 Posts
bending in the lips is modifying the magazine.

I carry a .40SC mag in my 9SC as well as 2 more on my hip now. I've run over 1000 rounds though them and no hiccups so they have now replaced the standard 9mm mags for carry. They run flawlessly. I did have to bend in the lips for the 9mm sits as low in the 40 as it does in the 9mm mag but I just put them side by side and worked the lips closer until they both sat the same.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Verm said:
bending in the lips is modifying the magazine.

I carry a .40SC mag in my 9SC as well as 2 more on my hip now. I've run over 1000 rounds though them and no hiccups so they have now replaced the standard 9mm mags for carry. They run flawlessly. I did have to bend in the lips for the 9mm sits as low in the 40 as it does in the 9mm mag but I just put them side by side and worked the lips closer until they both sat the same.
BATF has taken the position that if the mag still works in the gun it was made for (example: .40 S&W mag in .40 cal. gun) then it's legal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have two .40 mags and one .357 mag that I use with my 9mm and they all work flawlessly. i would trust them 100% to use for defense. I don't because I just keep the defense ammo in the 10 round mags and use the hi caps for the range. This saves me from having to switch back and forth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buy hicap berretta mags w/ as many bullets you want and then notch where the mag release is supposed to go.

Then you know it is legal and it will hold a lot of bullets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts