Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how long I can leave ammo in a particular magazine of my XD without the spring getting weak. I've talked to some people and they say no longer than 2 weeks but I'd be curious to know what you guys think.

Cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have also been wondering the same thing. I leave my 40 loaded and ready on the nightstand every night, then lock it up during the day when no one is home(still loaded). I try to shoot once a week, but it has been
2 or 3 weeks since my last range trip. springs need a break? I don't know, but would like to! I leave my extras unloaded unless shooting, just in case.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Per previous posts on this subject:

1.)
Q: Can the magazine be left loaded for extended periods of time?
A: yes, it will not hurt the magazine or the spring. Actually makes loading a full magazine easier.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I think this question came up o of time shon the Ar-15 forum also. Extended period shouldn't weaken the springs any.....rather the constant loading, then reloading over and over will cause it to loose spring tension.
Somethin like that. :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a Glock 22 and a Romanian AK-47 with 5 mags each fully loaded for 2yrs without shooting either of them (yes, I know, sacrilege). They worked fine when I traded both those weapons in.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I used to shoot almost weekly so I rotated my carry mags as a routine. I had surgery in April and haven't been shooting since. Other then a little load/reload practice (mostly to be sure I could do it) I haven't even really handled my guns since then, and I am not at all worried that my mags will give me problems.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
There are records of 1911 magazines having been left loaded for over 50 years and then functioning ok. Magazine springs will take a set after being left loaded for awhile (the two weeks), but they function fine afterwards. Magazine springs are "worn out" by the process of compressing/uncompressing, not by compressing alone.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. It's a lot easier to have loaded mags than to have to load them all up before going to the range.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
If your that paranoid (not a bad thing) then just buy new springs once a year and use the mags that you have. The mag springs are worn out when you start getting unexpected problems with feeding. And since you keep track of your magazines you will be able to find the bad mag quickly.

I have mags from my gen 1 that are over 5 yrs old and the springs still work fine even though they have countless rounds through them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
When I got out of the Marines in 1980 I brought home 4 30 Rd Mags loaded to the usual 28 rounds. They sat in the cabinet until June of this year and I bought my AR. I took out my 25 year old loaded mags and they worked just fine. The Mags fed great and the rounds went BANG.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
TheWillis said:
What exactly do you mean by "take a set" if you dont mind?
When springs are wound or shaped, they only have the stresses of the initial shaping, and are not settled in to a final dimension. It is known that they will take that shape/dimension and so no further working is done on them. Once they cycle several times, they take on a "set" which can stay unchanged for quite some time. At that point, they do not lose anything by being stored compressed, they only lose by further cycling.

If the cycling does not involve fatigue, springs can go for millions of cycles. Pistol recoil springs usually do not operate in that nice range of no fatigue, so they can have a relatively short life. Magazine springs do not take as much of a beating and can last much longer (maybe forever if never cycled).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've left my XD mags loaded for weeks at a time and they're still a pain in the butt to load. I wouldn't worry about the spring not working if you leave them loaded.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
bobert1 said:
When I got out of the Marines in 1980 I brought home 4 30 Rd Mags loaded to the usual 28 rounds. They sat in the cabinet until June of this year and I bought my AR. I took out my 25 year old loaded mags and they worked just fine. The Mags fed great and the rounds went BANG.
I can verify this as I used one of these mags when I was having some issues w/ my AR. Ran through 60 rds out of it, like it was brand new.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Boomer10 said:
I've left my XD mags loaded for weeks at a time and they're still a pain in the butt to load.
I can only assume that 40's are more difficult than 9's. Loading 9mm into my XD mags (8 - 15 round factory mags) is by far the easiest of all of the magazine fed firearms that I have either had the please of owning or shooting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
JD McDorce said:
Boomer10 said:
I've left my XD mags loaded for weeks at a time and they're still a pain in the butt to load.
I can only assume that 40's are more difficult than 9's. Loading 9mm into my XD mags (8 - 15 round factory mags) is by far the easiest of all of the magazine fed firearms that I have either had the please of owning or shooting.
Yes - My XD40 mag is much more diffficult to load than a Mec-Gar 9MM for the Ruger P95.

As for the XD40 magazines: I leave my rounds in the magazines 24/7 and fully loaded. They are cycled at the range about once a week. The springs never give me a problem. (It's been about a year since I purchased my XD40).

Mag springs are (in my perspective) expendible and replaceable.

-Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
Boomer10 said:
So, I'm not the only one that thinks this. Funny that my 10rd mags are really easy to load and function flawlessly but for some reason Springfield sees fit to put a spring in the 12 rounders (40 S&W) that feels like it's at least 50% stronger. I swapped a spring from a 10 to a 12rd mag and it worked perfectly so I'm not sure what their reasoning is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts