Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I was wondering, how many rounds should i use in one session at the range until it just too much for the XD9 service pisstol?

Im asking because i just got my xd9 and my wife and i shot 400 rounds in a matter of 2 hours. Is that too many round fired in one session and can cause some sort of malufunction? (besides carbon build up causing the malfunction.)

We like playing target poker and a bunch of other shooting games so we go through a couple rounds.

We use nothing but WWB so far.

Thx

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The weak link in the equation is the part holding the gun. :)

Not dis-ing you, but the gun will still be happy firing rounds when your arms are too tired to pick it up.

That assumes you have previously done correct maintenance and not (repeat NOT) oiled the striker or striker channel. Oil + residue = gunky goo in the striker channel and that causes weak strikes. You do need to pull the striker out occasionally and clean it. Somewhere between 500 and ?5000? rounds --> depending on how dirty it is getting,etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like your style...no such thing as too much fun. Shoot straight, shoot often.

Wanna make it interesting, make it strip poker

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
shoot until you have exhausted your ammo supply....then buy moar and keep on shooting :D. I you can just field strip the gun wipe off any excess carbon, oil a little, and run a patch through the barrel then keep on shooting.....but I think your XD can run moar w/o doing that ;)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
shoot until you have exhausted your ammo supply....then buy moar and keep on shooting :D. I you can just field strip the gun wipe off any excess carbon, oil a little, and run a patch through the barrel then keep on shooting.....but I think your XD can run moar w/o doing that ;)

WTF?? "moar"? from TX? lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would not worry about "too much" personally. My XDm is used for IDPA/IPSC matches and I went through a stretch where I literally fired it every weekend and once for 2 days straight for a period of 4 weeks. I am not proud of the fact that it took me 4 weeks to get around to cleaning it but the pistol probably had 1000 -1200 rounds through it by end. I had zero malfuntions with the pistol. Yeah it was filthy when I did clean it finally but feel it could have continued to fire much longer.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Until the people waiting for a lane to open up get irate?

Other than that, keep shooting!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Keep shooting as much as possible as often as possible! The only thing that limits me is my wallet! If it wasn't so dang expensive to shoot large quantities of ammo on a regular basis I'd shoot more per visit, but I do make it a point to shoot every week, even if it's just 1 box of 50. I'd rather shoot 50 per week then 400 only once a month so have to spread out the budget.

Phillip

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I shoot often and how long depends on what I'm shooting with. For my 9mm's, probably 30-60 mins or until I run out of ammo (usually bring 100 - 150 rounds). For my 22LR plinker, all afternoon. I can easily use up a box of 550 round bulk packs in one visit. The good thing is that the outdoor range I go to has no time limits. Most indoor ranges limit shooters to 1 hour.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Stop before you get tired to the point where your aim starts to wander, either a concentration problem or muscular fatigue. Anything much past that and you will be starting to build bad shooting habits by practicing sloppy technique.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Stop before you get tired to the point where your aim starts to wander, either a concentration problem or muscular fatigue. Anything much past that and you will be starting to build bad shooting habits by practicing sloppy technique.
Agreed. if you keep shooting you're just wasting ammo.

·
Registered
264 Posts
no such thing as too many rounds for at the range.....i would love to stay there all day if i had the ammo and the time.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I hadn't been to the range in way too long, but after buying an XD40 Monday, I had to go. I fired over 300 rounds today through mine in about 2.5 hours. A friend that I went with was shocked when I pulled out my ammo. He had only brought about 100 rounds for four pistols.
I wish I had more ammo today. No one was unhappy about us being there that long, except maybe my wife. Take more ammo next time.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have to believe there would be a point where the gun would get too hot. I usually shoot about 125 in a half hour, and when I put it back in the rug I can feel the heat through the canvas. I'm not sure that you could shoot it fast enough for it to be a problem, unless you had 100 or so loaded mags ready, but I would think heat would be the only thing that would ever be a problem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
too long at the range is when you ran out of ammo and you have a sunburn :)

-Tim

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
YES!
It's called "spell check" and you have to work at it to get a four letter word wrong two times in a row, it's not that tough folks.

I'm dyslexic and often type words with the letters in the wrong order. Typically short ones liek teh. But the red underline that automatically pops up tells me to go back and fix it. Thank goodness for sepll cechk!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I'm dyslexic and often type words with the letters in the wrong order. Typically short ones liek teh. But the red underline that automatically pops up tells me to go back and fix it. Thank goodness for sepll cechk!
lol I do the same thing, I also have a lazy "shift" finger and end up capping both of the first two letters, I just read everything I write before I post it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts