Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .40 XD Service Model. Today I broke down the slide 100% (disassembled EVERYTHING: firing-pin mechanism, USA safety, extractor, and chamber loaded indicator) and cleaned it, and cleaned and lubed the frame without disassembling it (haven't the balls for that yet). Took me just over 2 hours.

How long does it take you to do this????

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Cleaning my XD is like taking a shower with my wife, just cant be fondled enough! :lol:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I no longer strip any of my guns beyond their major parts. My XD gets broken down, hit with carb cleaner, and then put back together. Takes about 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Basic component strip and cleaning takes me about 1/2 hour for pistols and maybe a bit longer for rifles such as a AR or AK style. (gas tubes)

Bolt actions takes about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can actually peel apart the XD slide pretty fast, probably takes about 2 to 3 minutes. I can assemble it just as fast. But I am a little obsesive compulsive about making sure I get all the carbon build-up and brass off the slide. PLus I use bore (drunk spelling?) on teh slide to get all the carbon out of the firingpin mechanism area, then rinse it with rubbing alchole (to rinse away the bore cleaner then let it evaporate), so I can LIGHTLY oil everything. I also use the barrel cleaner on all teh firngpin parts to get off all the carbon and brass, then lightly oil all those parts to get the cleaner off. Am I being too detailed in cleaning?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It takes me bouts 10 seconds to get the XD apart to get ready for cleaning... and for cleaning I take about half an hour, well sometimes more cause I am a neat freak.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
1 minute to disassemble to major components. 30 minutes in the Cylinder and Slide Dunk'it. 2 minutes to scrub everything with a toothbrush, with particular attention to the extractor area. 2 minutes to air hose off all the residual Dunk'it. 3 minutes to scrub out the barrel. 1.5 minutes to reassemble.

7,500 rounds later, everything works fine using this method.

After another 7, 500, I may detail strip the pistol. Then again, I may not.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
since I am informally torture testing mine, I haven't cleaned the tactical since after it's first range trip.

I want to see if it can exceed my HK's failure point for dirt. Yes I do check it regularly (every other day at least) and so far I am at 1140 rds. Another 300 w/o ftf and it will pass my HK's mark. Of course on the HK I did that in 3 days, not 3 months.

so far, no rust and the only failures I've encountered have been self induced by not using proper trigger management.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts