Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to an outdoor range today and will possibly go tomorrow. Is it ok to just wait a day or two before at least cleaning the bore when shooting on a regular basis?

BTW: I let the shooters on either side of me fire my XD9sc, they both really liked the gun alot, and so I was showing them its features and why I had chosen it over a Glock - maybe some future XD owners are in the works.

The guy on my right also had a chronograph(?) set up: 115gr WWB through the gun avg'd. about 1,130fps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
At the very least I always run a bore snake through the bore a few times with some CLP type junk on it (I use FP-10) and wipe it down with a oiled cloth before I even leave the range.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
d.braun said:
Went to an outdoor range today and will possibly go tomorrow. Is it ok to just wait a day or two before at least cleaning the bore when shooting on a regular basis?

BTW: I let the shooters on either side of me fire my XD9sc, they both really liked the gun alot, and so I was showing them its features and why I had chosen it over a Glock - maybe some future XD owners are in the works.

The guy on my right also had a chronograph(?) set up: 115gr WWB through the gun avg'd. about 1,130fps.
Yes!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
The XDs are so easy to take apart that you can do a "half-a$$ed" protect the vital parts and wipe off the finger prints "cleaning" in a few minutes. This way in places where you have high humidity and moisture, this little 5 minute routine will keep rust and grime away untill you have time for a thorough cleaning.
You could also soak the bore with solvent and let the chemical reaction work overnight (swab dry before firing). Any extra help in keeping the pistol clean is always a welcome advantage and you'll protect your investment in the long run. 8)

Have fun and be safe. (now if I could only follow my own advice! :mrgreen: )

·
Registered
79 Posts
I shoot tons of my reloads (lead). When finishing at the range I always shoot a few FMJ rounds through to kinda clean things out a little. I always wipe the guns down, but don't always clean the bores. Typically look down them while shining a bore light to see how things are doing in there. If you run a cleaning pad down the bore then look with a bore light you can see if there is much leading building up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
How many rounds did you shoot today? I tend to be a neat freak when it comes to guns (I always clean them within 24 hours of firing.) That said, the XD is very dirt tolerant and I doubt you will have any problems with function or accuracy from going to the range twice in two days. I agree with Triaged- Boresnake it and you should be good to go. You may also want to take a lint free rag and give the feed ramp and breech face/extractor a quick wipe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses, all.

I was basically wondering if it was ok to let the gun lay around uncleaned for a day or two before any kind of bore corrosion (pitting, etc.) might begin to take place. Unlike the rest of the gun, the bore has no protective finish - hense my concern.

I normally clean my XD after each use, but was thinking maybe it wouldn't be so necessary if I was planning on shooting again in a day or two.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You guys clean it???? I shoot a match every Monday night and every couple of weekends and I haven't cleaned my tactical in at least 12 weeks. Still shooting flawlessly. I say work it like a rib.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
d.braun said:
Thanks for the responses, all.

I was basically wondering if it was ok to let the gun lay around uncleaned for a day or two before any kind of bore corrosion (pitting, etc.) might begin to take place. Unlike the rest of the gun, the bore has no protective finish - hense my concern.

I normally clean my XD after each use, but was thinking maybe it wouldn't be so necessary if I was planning on shooting again in a day or two.
You will not have a problem with corrosion or pitting with todays ammo. I've gone as long a 1000 rounds and 5 months without cleaning without a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts