Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.

Here is my problem. I need a very accurate 9mm for travelling in Marmot country. For those of you whpo have never experienced a marmot, you are in for a shock when you do. These are small animals, maybe 10-15 lbs, but are territorial and agressive. They live at high altitudes, especially in rock fields. If you get in their teritory they will attack. They are also cleaver. They like to hide in the rocks as they approach. Many times, the only shot that you have is a head shot (3 or 4 inches) at 25 yards. The good thing is how they approach, they are slow about doing it. Also, they come in groups.

To that end, I don't need a powerhouse gun for such a small animal. I need accuracy.

I am thinking of buying a fullsize XD for this, but how does the XD stack up against my other options?

The options:
XD 9mm
XD 9mm Tactical
Glock 17
H&K USP 9mm Tactical
H&K P7M8 (or M13)
Sig 9mm (226??)
CZ52 in 9mm P
Beretta 92
Sig P210

Which way should I go and why?

Thanks for input
-Dana

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
From what I have experienced with my sub I see no problem with the XD. The only way your gonna miss is if you don't practice enough. I can hit 12 inch paper at 25 yards.

·
Registered
126 Posts
DanaT said:
Ok.
The options:
XD 9mm
XD 9mm Tactical
Glock 17
H&K USP 9mm Tactical
H&K P7M8 (or M13)
Sig 9mm (226??)
CZ52 in 9mm P
Beretta 92
Sig P210

Which way should I go and why?

Thanks for input
-Dana
i would probably get the glock, and pick up a few of the 33 round clips, so that if they travel in packs, like you say they do, if about 10 of them come at you, you will have 3 shots each. And if you need to shoot fast and accurate, get a laser sight.

Other than the glock, id go with the XD tactical. Or a ported 9mm model for quicker follow up shots.

PS>if size and cost doest matter, pick up a bushmaster or AR-15. 30 rd. mags, accurate without a scope past 50 yards, and a .223 varment round will just destroy one of those things.

this would be a fun targot....marmot:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Each of the guns that you are considering will do the job...the question is, which one will do the job for you. You need to get to a gun range and fire the choices that you have and see which one is the most comfortable to fire and the one that you are the most accurate with...and then pray that the one that you buy will perform the way the Range gun did.
I have a number of guns...my friends have even more!! We shoot all the time. I can get 2" groups @ 15yrds. with my XD-9 Service...by that I mean I get all 15 rounds in that little circle (sometimes I get a flyer). My buddies who are all Glock fans (I also own a Glock...shhhh!) can't shoot my XD at all! My Ruger KP345 can hit anything that I even think about shooting at...it's my favorite!!
Any how, you need to find what works best for you. All in all, the XD is a great place to start, there are alot of reasons to have one in your collection. Shoot Away!!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't see how a revolver in 22mag or 17hmr couldn't do the job. Much more plesant on the ears and you're going to be able to be more accurate especially with the longer barrel. Animals that small, you're talking headshots, either of those, heck even 22LR would do the job with headshots.

Though the XDs will do their part if you do yours.

You didn't really specify if you were hiking, working, or what you'd be doing. If you're not hiking or whatever, I'd go with some type of an AR.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
DanaT
They live at high altitudes, especially in rock fields. If you get in their teritory they will attack. They are also cleaver. They like to hide in the rocks as they approach. Many times, the only shot that you have is a head shot (3 or 4 inches) at 25 yards. The good thing is how they approach, they are slow about doing it. Also, they come in groups.

To that end, I don't need a powerhouse gun for such a small animal. I need accuracy.
Interesting......Hmmm, Now if they are 25 yards away and slow moving, do you need to shoot them? If they attack you slowly, can't you get away? They attack in groups?

Sorry, but this sounds like a video game.
If I was in this situation and you had to shoot em, I guess a good shotgun will take care of them. Just be careful about richochets around large boulders. If it has to be a pistol, a good revolver like in .22 magnum? Good luck, don't get bit. :shock:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could carry my Carbon15. I wouldn't wan't a full weight AR for hiking there. There are 2 reasons. 1) ARs alarm anyone you are around and 2) a full weight AR is heavy for hiking in those areas. Why? At 10000+ feet altitude, just walking around is a lot more difficult, let alone carrying crap. By the time you have a an extra 15-20 lbs worth of crap along for the hike, adding an 8-9lb AR is lot axtra.

As far as just run away, good idea. However, these guys live where there aren't alot of places to go. Where the biggest problem is, is aroud pets, epecially dogs. Dogs don't like to run away from small critters.

Also, a .22 is out and 9mm is in on the rare chance that I would encounter a mountain lion. There aren't many,but they exsist where there are small critters to eat.

But, back to my original question.

How does the Xd compare to my other choices?

-Dana

·
Registered
2 Posts
A pack of attacking marmots? BWAHAHAHAHA... Sorry man, but that is funny. Being an avid hiker I can tell you that attacking marmots is the least of your worries i .e. weather, injury, etc. not many cougars are at 10,000 feet either. Do you really want to fire into those rocks? Not me.

Vince

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
since they travel in packs and attack slowly and hide behind rocks, take a couple of hand grenades....

Attacking marmots?...you have got to be kidding me. Ive been out west and been around marmots, never seen one attack and never seen one that could reach 15 lbs.
Mountain lions? you beter have more than a 9mm IMO

·
Registered
126 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
since they travel in packs and attack slowly and hide behind rocks, take a couple of hand grenades....

Attacking marmots?...you have got to be kidding me. Ive been out west and been around marmots, never seen one attack and never seen one that could reach 15 lbs.
Mountain lions? you beter have more than a 9mm IMO
Maybe they are Genetically enhanced Marmots trained to travel in packs, and engineered by the Army to combat terrorists in mountainous terrain? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

for mountain lions id get one of these...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree this is a Hoax, I lived in colorado a number of years and they run away from you. You can barley get your camera out to take a picture of them before the take off scared to death of humans.

97cruiser said:
A pack of attacking marmots? BWAHAHAHAHA... Sorry man, but that is funny. Being an avid hiker I can tell you that attacking marmots is the least of your worries i .e. weather, injury, etc. not many cougars are at 10,000 feet either. Do you really want to fire into those rocks? Not me.

Vince

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not so sure about this being a BS post or not. I had seen this movie once where this kid had this pet Rat...and let me tell ya...this Rat was a real killer!!! I still am very nervous around rats or large mice, thank goodness for my XD by my side!! Also, didn't you guys ever see that movie Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail?? Remember that friggin' killer Rabbit? HUH? Yeah, tell me that furry little rodents aren't dangerous!!! Tell that to all those dead Knights and Squires!!
Thanks for the post and the warning...I have downloaded the picture of this vicious little critter and am carrying it around with me at all times...I gotta be ready.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shnozzer-xd-9 said:
therooster said:
dsg2003gt said:

that looks like a gofer. are they the same thing?
That there buddy would be a ground hog.
No way! That there's a real Marmot, and a real vicious one by the look of it. I'll never forget that hike up Mt. Montero, cause I saw them. They jump out of the rocks and start pop'n their teeth at you. Boy, when they start doing that, you had better start moving, because a few seconds is all you got.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts